Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:18 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Says who?? You annoying grandfather who is always complaining about his generation being superior while sitting on his ass watching TV?? Pshh...

This generation is an overall improvement from any other generation in human history...Get over it....
My grandfather died in 1962. He was never annoying and it is from the strength of my family that I have not become full of fear, anxiety, ended up on illegal substances or prescription meds in order to function. I am not sure that Grandpa had TV. He was always in the garage working on things or gardening which was an asset to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Who gets to decide if it is superficial?

Did you ever think that the patterns people repeat over and over are about pain that is unresolved and the person does not know how to let the pain go?

Just because you don't see the wounds, does not mean they are not there.
Most cities, even smaller ones, have mental health centers now that operate on a sliding fee scale. The issue with most of these complainers is that they like to complain and whine. They don't take advice and that is why they are full of fear or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Not EVERYONE, BUT MOST! I grew up in the 70's and believe me, most people these days are all about fear of everything. It is what the media wants because fear sells and that in turn makes money for them. It is hilarious in a way, but sad as well. Believe it or not, we didn't have "stranger danger" and all the crap going on back in my days. Now people are afraid of everything. No more living!
^^^Good post. And, people used to be out and about in general rather than connected to electronic devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
And yet you rely on a nonexistent entity, the imaginary friend to defeat all other imaginary friends, to help keep your anxiety at bay (I'm referencing your "god shall prevail" status from 8 hours prior to this post). Sounds like you need to be less judgmental and more cognizant of your own weaknesses, such as dependence on a massive deception to maintain your sanity. Red pill or blue pill, red pill or blue pill....

Anxiety in this universe is rational. Anxiety issues are (at least partially) the byproduct of confrontation with the void, intellectually honest thought processes, etc. Most people are idiots and are therefore not anxious. Dunning-Kruger effect and all that. Also, Matisse mentioned anxiety as a euphemism for depression. Well, perhaps, but in many/most cases they're simply companions. It might be more socially acceptable to speak of anxiety than depression. Then depression in turn correlates with depressive realism, which is to say, a more accurate picture of the world than that harbored by the average idiot.
Yes, I rely on my faith in God rather than prescription or illegal drugs, being full of fear and afraid of my own shadow but since God gave you free will, you are choosing what to do with it. If you research, you'll find that the loss of faith in the lives of people has been replaced by drugs, alcohol and assorted mental health issues.

Seriously, get off the electronics and go outside. Stop focusing so much on the "poor little me". Again, most of these people refuse to take steps to make their life better and become an emotional drain on those that they suck in. I am guessing if they start at the first meeting that one is in for a rough ride. There are people that don't even have a clean source of water, that die without the simple antibiotics that are widely available so....................

Those without someone to talk to may very well have burned out everyone in their midst.

If you have mental health issues and are filled with fear, you need a professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
A good article: 10 Kinds of People Nobody Can Help ? Charisma News

Old 07-14-2015, 10:27 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Yes I don't believe you're trying to help anyone here. Just sitting on your perch judging everyone.

Well guess what there are a lot of people in this world who think you and those like you are nuts for believing in an imaginary deity just like you don't believe in debilitating anxiety. See how that works?

Old 07-14-2015, 10:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You don't know this for sure.

You are insulting every Christian, Jewish, Moslem, Buddhist and Hindu person on this planet. Get a clue.
And the poster he is addressing isn't insulting anyone?

Old 07-15-2015, 01:10 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
other people give me fear & anxiety. I usually try to avoid most people, but I don't go out of my way to avoid them. granted, I take less stock in what people think about me nowadays, but it doesn't stop it from ruining my day when someone makes a ****** up comment. it just makes me think about how I could get revenge on them.

this is particularly true of my neighbors. I hate all of them and have had awkward confrontations with them as recently as this past weekend. my home was my last bastion of refuge from idiots, now I don't even have that. that fat moron on the bottom floor wants to complain about me being drunk occasionally going about the stairs loud when he has prostitutes and druggies living with him causing trouble on the front stoop antagonizing the other people in the neighborhood. there is like 7 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment down there. and he eats his weight in food everyday. and he has the balls to judge me for tying one on once in a while? LOLOL see you on my 600 pound life, loser. and then the second floor neighbor is a welfare leech that keeps asking me for weed & money. and their 2 year old kid is always running up on my porch. and the fat, bipolar wife on ssi screams at the kid all day. no wonder they are trying to run away up to my porch. smh. cant get any privacy nowadays. i would move to a better place but i just broke my elbow and had to drain my emergency fund to pay the bills while i was out of work. what i need is a log cabin in the middle of nowhere.

whenever i encounter people i just gotta keep telling myself "who cares what other people think?" and it seems to help a little bit. i try not to let experiences with others keep my

another fear I have is of a ringing phone. I feel like my heart skips a beat everytime the phone rings, whether it is my work phone or my cell. another fear I have is my car not starting/breaking down. these fears don't control my life as much as you might think, but it is enough to say something about.

i also fear getting a major disease, like cancer or some other debilitating disease. that is one of my all-time greatest fears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology