Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 08:08 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What mystifies/puzzles so many people when someone snaps is that last straw that breaks the camel's back. To many, it may even come across as quite amusing, and? They focus on that last straw, rather than examining all the other straws underneath the other straws!

There they are, mystified: "Well, I could understand him snapping, after losing his job, his car, his wife, but this????? Can you believe this? He left a note behind: I just broke my tooth, biting into some Butter Brickle candy! That does it! Good-bye World, and I'm going to take a half-dozen people with me at the nearest movie theatre!

And there's the dam builders! Same thing! It was that last teaspoon of water that broke the dam open!

And then there's the ball throwing! Throw a big ball at me, I'll catch it, and deal with it! Throw 2 balls at me, at the same time, I can potentially catch both of them; throw 3 at me, at the same time, I might be able to handle that too, by kicking one with my foot, but 4, at the same time? Snap time!!!
I recently experienced something like this. I dealt with my husband's life-threatening illness and hospitalization, the threat of loss of job, income, and health insurance, a huge unexpected car repair bill. What just about put me over the deep end was when my rental car's air conditioning went out. It was not the most serious problem in my life by any means, but it was the one that finally made me scream and cry in rage and frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 11:02 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
Pretty much everyone I know is stressed out from money issues, working too much, health problems, etc. I definitely have my moments. For example, this morning my check engine light came on in my car. It's just another thing I'll now have to figure out how to fit into my day to get checked out plus depending on what's wrong could cause me an unexpected expense I might struggle to afford. It's just always something. Not to mention it's hard to ever get a break from the things that stress us thanks to technology. It's hard to disconnect, people expect others to be available at all times because of the internet and cell phones. I sometimes feel one expected annoyance away from totally losing it.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:52 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez8 View Post
With so many people living paycheck to paycheck, on meds and just downright depressed its no wonder we see road rage incidents often. Is the common person ready to snap? Sure seems everyone is more tense than 10, 20 years ago.
Mhm oh yeah we are all angry and are about to go massacre a bunch of people!

Old 08-05-2015, 01:17 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
The difference between now in then:

Then: Father has breakfast with family and heads to work. Mother brings Tommy to school. Mother run some errands. Mother pays the bills. Mother waves to neighbor. Mother makes sure garden looks beautiful. Mother gets a call that Tommy got a bad grade. Mother picks up Tommy from school. Mother scolds Tommy. Father returns home from work around dinner time to his moderately sized house. Tommy is in his room. Fathers asks Mother why Tommy is not playing with his friends. Mother says he got a bad grade and needs to study more.

Now: Father goes to work. Mother goes to work. Bus comes to pick up Tommy. Tommy isn't at the bus stop. Idiot in front of Mother crashes into guard rail. Mother is stuck in traffic. Father arrives at work. Father is buried in paper work. Father's boss informs him that Jim has been let-go. Boss hands Father Jim's work. Boss tells Father that he does Jim's job now. Father asks about additional compensation. Boss tells Father it is not in the budget. Mother arrives to work late. Mother explains accident to Manager. Manager swears at Mother in front of customers. Tommy is with his friends. Tommy smokes a cigarette. Tommy is so cool. Old Man walks by. Tommy pushes him to the ground because it's funny. Friends laugh. Tommy spits on Old Man. Teacher calls Mother because Tommy has bad grades and is absent a lot. Mother doesn't have time to answer. After work Mother listens to voicemail about Tommy. Mother drives to school. Mother yells at teacher for giving Tommy a bad grade. Mother threatens to end Teacher's ****ing life. It is now dinner time. Mother eats alone. Tommy is dead. Father is still at work. The end.
^^^ THIS is hilarious !!

Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 AM

605 posts, read 490,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
The difference between now in then:

Then: Father has breakfast with family and heads to work. Mother brings Tommy to school. Mother run some errands. Mother pays the bills. Mother waves to neighbor. Mother makes sure garden looks beautiful. Mother gets a call that Tommy got a bad grade. Mother picks up Tommy from school. Mother scolds Tommy. Father returns home from work around dinner time to his moderately sized house. Tommy is in his room. Fathers asks Mother why Tommy is not playing with his friends. Mother says he got a bad grade and needs to study more.

Now: Father goes to work. Mother goes to work. Bus comes to pick up Tommy. Tommy isn't at the bus stop. Idiot in front of Mother crashes into guard rail. Mother is stuck in traffic. Father arrives at work. Father is buried in paper work. Father's boss informs him that Jim has been let-go. Boss hands Father Jim's work. Boss tells Father that he does Jim's job now. Father asks about additional compensation. Boss tells Father it is not in the budget. Mother arrives to work late. Mother explains accident to Manager. Manager swears at Mother in front of customers. Tommy is with his friends. Tommy smokes a cigarette. Tommy is so cool. Old Man walks by. Tommy pushes him to the ground because it's funny. Friends laugh. Tommy spits on Old Man. Teacher calls Mother because Tommy has bad grades and is absent a lot. Mother doesn't have time to answer. After work Mother listens to voicemail about Tommy. Mother drives to school. Mother yells at teacher for giving Tommy a bad grade. Mother threatens to end Teacher's ****ing life. It is now dinner time. Mother eats alone. Tommy is dead. Father is still at work. The end.
Your reputation is mid-500s, which means not enough people repped this post.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:49 AM

304 posts, read 396,868 times
The jury built American system will in fact crack, since more money and power, plus disparity of wealth has not been this great since the Gilded Ages. Throw in climate change, and by the late 2020s (at the latest) it will all come crumbling down.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:09 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,123,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What mystifies/puzzles so many people when someone snaps is that last straw that breaks the camel's back. To many, it may even come across as quite amusing, and? They focus on that last straw, rather than examining all the other straws underneath the other straws!

There they are, mystified: "Well, I could understand him snapping, after losing his job, his car, his wife, but this????? Can you believe this? He left a note behind: I just broke my tooth, biting into some Butter Brickle candy! That does it! Good-bye World, and I'm going to take a half-dozen people with me at the nearest movie theatre!

And there's the dam builders! Same thing! It was that last teaspoon of water that broke the dam open!

And then there's the ball throwing! Throw a big ball at me, I'll catch it, and deal with it! Throw 2 balls at me, at the same time, I can potentially catch both of them; throw 3 at me, at the same time, I might be able to handle that too, by kicking one with my foot, but 4, at the same time? Snap time!!!
After ten years at a job that I loved, but hated the environment I had the last straw that broke the camel's back and walked out. I just couldn't take it anymore. Within two weeks I was a new person.

Then I found out the lie that my Sociopathic boss was telling everyone as the reason I quit. That did cause me to snap, but internally. There was nothing more that would have made me happier than to go and knock her teeth out of her lying mouth, but she wasn't worth me going to jail over. She wasn't even worth the cost of the gas it would take to drive there and spit in her disgusting face.

All those years I thought it was just office politics, but it was workplace bullying and it wasn't just me. She'd change targets like she changed her faces she'd put on.

It was a Union and her Daddy used to run the Union. He'll die one day and she won't have that power that keeps the people she emotionally abuses every day at bay. I have no doubt that Karma will slap her in the face. I just hope I'm around to hear about it.

I don't understand at all when employees go and shoot innocent people, but an abusive boss that's truly emotionally disturbed and gains pleasure from making other people's lives hell, I can see it happening.

I'm not talking about a responsible boss requesting employees do their work. I'm talking about underhanded, undermining, backstabbing, gossiping, manipulative ego maniacs that derive some sick satisfaction by targeting decent people that are only trying to make a living.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:07 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
I broke both elbows, apartment got robbed, and I totaled my car in an accident that was not my fault all in less than two months. my elbow now hurts every time there is a storm. medical bills and copays are pouring in, my e-fund is nonexistent, just fell into debt again after paying off student loans in april. and I am dealing with an alcoholic mother that is scared every second of the day that someone will break-in again and finish the job. every time I walk out of my place, I feel like grabbing a bat and smashing my downstairs neighbor's heads in because I know those welfare lowlifes are the ones that are responsible for the break-in. all while trying to look for another apartment. my vanity plate for the car I just bought will now read "ih8ppl''. got no real close friends(everyone sucks), in fact, I find myself becoming sociopathic and sadistic. "break stuff" by limp bizkit is my new daily anthem. I would see a psychologist but I don't want to pay any more copays. maybe ill download one of those iphone robot artificial intelligence thingies and talk to that like the rest of the loser sheeple glued to their "smart" phones.

I only watch ABC to get the local news & weather. otherwise, the materialistic, narcissistic talking head celebrities on there make me sick to my stomach. I just can't wait until the next former track star turns into a drag queen. church bombings, school shootings, racist cops beating the crap out of unarmed black people, why do I even watch OTA tv at all???? its all stupid celebrity, reality tv shows and nostalgic shows set in the 19xx's where the acting sucks(astronaut wives club??? really???) nobody reads books anymore, the only crap people read is reddit or facebook and post status updates about themselves that nobody cares about because most of their 1662 facebook friends are people you met once at a run-down bar or a stupid ex that you only kept around because they were good in the sack. enjoy those std's. at least you got a keepsake from your previous "relationship". that is in addition to the feminazi rants or the right-wing wacko rush Limbaugh propaganda. don't get married or have kids unless you are rich. because you will have to pay $200,000 per kid and then pay half your assets to your wife in a divorce because you gained 100 pounds and she no longer finds you attractive or likes your changing personality from all those years of quiet self-medicating.

everyone under the age of 30 is stupid and has no work ethic, everybody over the age of 50 is entitled and crabby. people in between are cynical because their generation gets no attention(boo effing hoo). seriously, I would like to see the millenials and boomers go toe-to-toe in an all out war. they fricken hate eachother. that would be entertainment. I would dodge that draft of course because I got better **** to do. the education system is churning out kids that cant think for themselves because the poor, underpaid teachers are too concerned about standardized test results so that they can keep their crappy jobs and pay their rent in combat zone, usa. so they cram the kids' minds with useless information. fast food workers want $15 an hour but cant get an order right to save their lives because they smoke too much pot. wtf, you want $15 an hour to exacerbate the obesity epidemic??? get real! smokers are demonized for wanting to shorten their lifespan. why? if they slowly wanna kill themselves, let them. I was thinking of taking up smoking full time!

I tried this year to "come out of my shell". go out and enjoy life more. every time I try to do that, something bad happens. I tried to philanthropic, give blood, volunteer at the local soup kitchen, etc to try to build this thing called "karma", but the result is always the same. nobody cares. its not about being a good person, it is about how you can screw over the next person and how much you can get from them. I don't want to play that game, and I am close to the snapping point. people wanna try and test me, but I don't wanna participate, I just want everyone to leave me alone so that I can live to see the next lame amy schumer rom-com and regret another 90 minutes of my life. oh yeah, ice bucket challenge. where's the "everybody not be a douche canoe" challenge? ill gladly participate.

/end rant

Last edited by StAcKhOuSe; 08-05-2015 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 07:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
No, snapping takes too much energy.

By the way, fix your own world. Just be pleasant to strangers. Say Good morning and Thank you to the bus driver, cheerfully. The counter girl works crap hours at a crap job for crap wages for a crap boss, she doesn't need you to make her life worse than it already is. Help her out a little,, give her a pleasant moment in her day. How hard can that be?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-08-2015 at 07:56 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 09:13 AM

818 posts, read 1,016,646 times
Ahhhh... The Human 'race". Women will do that......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology