Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:27 PM

26 posts, read 15,836 times

Advertisements

hi everyone I'm 22 years old living in New York
I recently had cataract surgery because I had a cataract in my right eye
The surgery did not go as planned and I have no vision at all in my right eye

Now my eyes are two different colors one being brown the other one very very light brown almost hazelish
The pupil is still there but hardly noticeable

How do I learn to accept this?
I have been told by my doctors that they can give me a contact lens to help the appearance of my eye but it's so difficult...

I've cried a lot about this just asking for answers
Asking why... I am happy that atleast I have vision in my right eye but how will I ever find a job.

I need help advice please
Will I ever find love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 07:03 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
It is going to take awhile for you to adjust. This really won't impact your life that severely unless you let it. We too often notice a flaw that other people just don't see.

The contact lens should work but another thing to consider would be glasses with a tinted lenses. They have become a fashion statement. I shop at zenni.com and have seen some great looks.

I just don't think that people will notice your eye that much. Really, if you ask someone what another persons eye color is, they just don't remember.

If you can accept yourself, others will accept you. I am SO sorry that this has happened to you. You might consider counseling if necessary.

The fact that you realize that you can still have vision in one eye shows me that you'll overcome this. You are not being totally negative.

Don't become paranoid about your eye because what you'll send out would be negative vibes, like at a job interview where they won't notice your eye but will feel there is something that they can't put their finger on.

Were you working before? Have any particular skills? Will the loss of vision be an issue in the work you were doing or want to do?

If you have something to offer another, to compliment the traits of another, you'll find love or love will find you. Personality and attitude go SO much further than physical traits when you are an adult, in high school, no but I know they say it but in adult life, it is true.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I thought you were going to say you were a hunchback with a limp and
a curled hand!

You have it so GOOD!

If that helps at all, hope so.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:27 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
I know what you mean. I'm having trouble getting a job myself and I know my flaws hold me back. I have had what is called a weak eye muscle. I'm not sure if I still have it but nevertheless it would go on for years and I think it helped make me nearsighted. When I see my eye drifting it's pretty creepy but I have been even more observant and realize that even my favorite musician might have the same thing (it might be just the way the pictures are angled but it seems like it to me. he also used to have crooked teeth and a strange looking body and would get insecure about these things to the point he wouldn't take his shirt off at the beach or smile with his teeth). It's still hard to accept my own flaws but this helps a little for me...to know that someone who I find so talented would have deep insecurities.
As for having mixed colored eyes I think I have seen a few people like that and I think it makes them unique. Even though the surgery didn't go right I would still count your flawed pupil as a "scar", a symbol of honor. You had the courage to go through with it and that's all that matters. I do not think your eye will hold you back from getting a job. Employers notice a lot of things about you and do judge it's true but the eyes I'm sure they don't. I used to think my flicted eye was very noticeable because it seemed like it drifted a lot but many people didn't seem to notice unless I told them. Even if they do notice how flawed your eye is I'm sure it won't be something they'll count you against for because it's not something that would affect their business even on a superficial level. The only way it might is if you're trying to be a model but even then it's not impossible to get into with that. Employers might worry a little bit about the fact you don't have vision in both eyes but I'm sure there are some out there that will accommodate you.

As far as love you needn't worry about that AT ALL. There are crappy people out there but there are also people who would find beauty in your eyes as it gives your eyes character since most people have the same color eyes. Don't forget that you are not just your eyes also. You have other great qualities I'm sure that a person would absolutely love about you.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
People with two eyes eventually learn that REAL friends could care less how they look. You will just learn this sooner is all - a good thing!

Anyway there are many people out there who are more interested in what is inside a person - the personality - love - feelings - tenderness - being a good person. That stuff is VERY important to me!

And same with many jobs. Some jobs may require two eyes, but for many others it does not matter.

Actually if you have nothing better to do, just go around and ask various businesses if they would hire someone who could only see with one eye. If the work there requires two eyes. I'll bet you will be delightfully surprised!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:14 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Interesting, that I was just reading about cataract surgery in Ancient Inventions book, didn't realize cataract surgery has been going on for 2000 years.

Now!!! Back in the Arab/Greek worlds, if a physician performed surgery, and it was defective, that physician would be sentenced to death!

Old 07-28-2015, 02:22 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
I know it's a terrible blow right now, but as a little bit of time goes by and you start to get past the emotional shock and evaluate your situation more and more objectively, I think you'll come to realize this really isn't as catastrophic as it may seem right now. I'm not trying to minimize your circumstances, but I think you'll come to see it isn't as limiting as you seem to consider it right now.

Take a minute to consider the man who, a few years ago, had surgery to remove a cancerous right eyeball. He, too, was quite concerned about how bleak his future seemed going through life with only one eye, until he woke up in the recovery room and gradually came to the realization that the bandage was not on his right eye... it was on his left. They'd taken the wrong eye.

Things could be much worse. I'm very sorry for your loss, and how you must be feeling at the moment, but you have options that some other patients would literally kill to have available to them. I hope you're able to come to terms with it soon. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:07 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
personally, the two different eye colors to me would be absolutely stunning! Love the idea of it....
and the man that feels the same way will be your keeper...
as far as your eye sight is concerned, that I'm very sorry for, however, thank God you still have one eye you can see out of...

Old 07-28-2015, 07:23 AM

26 posts, read 15,836 times
Thank you very much guys I have been asking people and everyone tells me how lucky I should consider myself because that's a stunning flaw to have I guess I will eventually learn to accept this
As for right now I am just happy I have the ability to see even though it is only out of one eye I still drive and do things a lot of people with no vision can't do so I am thankful maybe God has me going through this for a reason

Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjr091891 View Post
Thank you very much guys I have been asking people and everyone tells me how lucky I should consider myself because that's a stunning flaw to have I guess I will eventually learn to accept this
As for right now I am just happy I have the ability to see even though it is only out of one eye I still drive and do things a lot of people with no vision can't do so I am thankful maybe God has me going through this for a reason

yes, indeed, there are much worse things to worry about in the world then this...granted the loss of an eye can be horrible...but you learn to compensate until soon it will not even bother you....

and honestly I believe the different eye colors would be beautiful....you just wait and see....

you'll be a knock out!

hugs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology