Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 10:06 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,379,473 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't believe the results of any poll on teh innerwebz, or any mass media for that matter. They are like the buzzing of flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Thanks to the dog-loving cat-haters in the world, it may never be a safe place for cats and their owners. Your housecat may be confined to the inside for good, never to go out for walks, attend cat shows, or to meet new people and animals, never to test the limits of its own nature or to develop new confidence, all because stray unleashed untrained dogs and individuals who would love to catch, kill, and torture cats are on the prowl. Someone should arrest these sickos and catch the stray dogs that roam the area and make it unsafe, but it continues. Cat ownership, or course, becomes an unnecessary burden when you have to constantly worry about your cat finding a way outside. Cats are clever creatures that usually get what they want. You might have to spend some money on a fancy unnecessary enclosure. That's probably what they want. Our pets in a costly enclosure, like some wild beast, while theirs get to run relatively free. What a horrible dog-infested dystopia! If cat ownership becomes a burden, the number of people taking it on will probably decline, meaning less demand for pet cats. Please, this madness needs to stop, now. I don't want to live in a world where cats are demonized and marginalized and cat owners are stereotyped.

Shelter Kill Rates
Alley Cat Allies

71% of Americans Dislike Cats?
In war of dogs vs. cats, the winner is clear - today > pets - TODAY.com

More Cat-Hating Nonsense
If You Hate Cats, You're Not Alone and There's a Real Explanation as to Why - Mic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 10:43 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,238,226 times
This is a semi-crazy thread.

How about:
Like the animal you like for a pet.
If you don't like a friend or acquaintances pet when you visit, tell them or don't go to their house.
Stop demonizing others or their pets for your preferences.

I, personally, have a problem with cats. Not because of their personality, but because I am allergic. I don't go to some people's homes with cats for this reason. The cleaner cat owners homes I can visit, the dirtier one's I cannot. I also generally enjoy the type of affection that dogs give, but that is me and why I have one in my home. I also have a problem with certain breeds of dogs and believe they shouldn't be pets...for safety reasons.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:46 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,969,192 times
Quote:
I avoid dogs crossing the road when I'm driving, but there are people who run over cats just for fun. I don't put out poison for the neighbor's dogs, but plenty of people put it out for cats. If I catch a dog in a squirrel or pig trap, I usually call animal control, but some people destroy the cats they catch. Catch and kill is a policy that doesn't even seem to apply to dogs, but some people think they're doing the world a favor by killing cats.
The best way to change the world in this specific example is to be an activist - start locally and expand out as you can. Stop the bias you see in your local community by getting the facts, assessing who has authority to enact change, and then create/execute a plan to educate those folks. This is doable KMB501, for real. Posting online isn't going to accomplish as much as by actually changing what you see is wrong in your vicinity.

It's interesting, my knee jerk reaction to your post was to deny the plausibility of the scenarios/trends you see... I wonder how many others out there have the same reaction? Yet, when I stepped back to think about this thread and how your contributions are to prevent something horrible you see from continuing to happen... then the solution seems obvious: don't deny that the problem exists for you and your community but instead to encourage you to act to change what you see.

I've several activist friends who have successfully enacted real-world/headlining change and unlike what many people expect - these folks have little to no income, little to no assets of value, and even lack higher education. Instead what these folks have is the desire to make change, the ability to focus to create and execute a plan, and the ability to present their ideas to others articulately. KMB501, do this and the world will be a better place for cats as a result of your actions. Best of luck to you, sending positive vibrations your way!

Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,565,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
This is a semi-crazy thread.

How about:
Like the animal you like for a pet.
If you don't like a friend or acquaintances pet when you visit, tell them or don't go to their house.
Stop demonizing others or their pets for your preferences.

I, personally, have a problem with cats. Not because of their personality, but because I am allergic. I don't go to some people's homes with cats for this reason. The cleaner cat owners homes I can visit, the dirtier one's I cannot. I also generally enjoy the type of affection that dogs give, but that is me and why I have one in my home. I also have a problem with certain breeds of dogs and believe they shouldn't be pets...for safety reasons.

Okay, I agree with you, somewhat. I'm guessing I'm the main one who has been attempting to make people aware of the cat haters out there, so maybe I'm the one who made this thread take a turn.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:48 AM

10,203 posts, read 17,801,643 times
I obviously don't have the time to read through all this, but I can't believe that even within the first few pages I read, no one pointed out that a dog's bad behavior generally has more to do with the owner than the dog. If they don't properly train their dog, it will naturally have bad behavior. Blame the owners, not the dog, and certainly not all dogs just because you've disliked a few of them.

Frankly, I think anyone who hates any kind of animal is not someone I would want to be around. Everyone is entitled to have a preference - I'm more of a cat person than a dog person - but I can't imagine ever hating an animal purely for the type of animal is it. I have disliked a lot of individual animals, cats and dogs alike, but to me, hating a certain type of animal is like hating a certain human ethnicity. The stereotyping going on in this topic is unbelievable.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:49 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Most behavior problems in dogs can be traced to inadquate exercise. A typical dog between the age of 6 months and 3 years needs at least 5 miles a day of free running. They need to run like they need to breathe. Coop them in an apartment or a small yard and you will have a problem animal. A well exercised dog will be easy to socialize.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
Quote:
I just don't agree with people killing cats because they don't like them. That's it for me. If that approach were used with all animals, there would probably be a lot of dead dogs in the neighborhood...

On a serious note, though, I think maybe lots of people use dog ownership to validate themselves, something along the lines of, "I have a dog, a wife, a white picket fence, a nice car, and a house in a nice neighborhood; I'm an upstanding citizen." The dog, regardless of how it's treated, becomes a symbol of the person's status in society, "having a dog shows that I'm friendly, outgoing, and can handle responsibility," even if the person is too busy in reality to take care of said dog (and some people like dogs more than they like people). People who would be cat, bird, or even snake people feel pressured by society to own a dog to fit the common perception of "trustworthy" and "normal."
Or they just enjoy dogs.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:20 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,565,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
The best way to change the world in this specific example is to be an activist - start locally and expand out as you can. Stop the bias you see in your local community by getting the facts, assessing who has authority to enact change, and then create/execute a plan to educate those folks. This is doable KMB501, for real. Posting online isn't going to accomplish as much as by actually changing what you see is wrong in your vicinity.

It's interesting, my knee jerk reaction to your post was to deny the plausibility of the scenarios/trends you see... I wonder how many others out there have the same reaction? Yet, when I stepped back to think about this thread and how your contributions are to prevent something horrible you see from continuing to happen... then the solution seems obvious: don't deny that the problem exists for you and your community but instead to encourage you to act to change what you see.

I've several activist friends who have successfully enacted real-world/headlining change and unlike what many people expect - these folks have little to no income, little to no assets of value, and even lack higher education. Instead what these folks have is the desire to make change, the ability to focus to create and execute a plan, and the ability to present their ideas to others articulately. KMB501, do this and the world will be a better place for cats as a result of your actions. Best of luck to you, sending positive vibrations your way!
I wish I knew how. My cries generally fall on deaf ears, like they were on this thread. If anyone has any specific small things I could do to make the world, and my community, a better place for cats (and the introverts who own them) I would appreciate the advice. I know acting like an angry wounded cat activist who is a bit suspicious of dogs isn't a way to win friends or influence people. I need some new ideas.

Part of me wants to say it's not really that big of deal, but it has something to do with perception bias. That's what I would like to fight. It's not just a cats vs. dogs thing, although that's the way I like to frame it. It's people who are communicative and outgoing yet not very open to new ideas vs. people who aren't very communicative or outgoing yet are very open to new ideas. Getting those two sides to communicate and open up to each other feels like an impossible task, and, then, some people are just plain old mean. Then again, I live in a place where open racism is still tolerated somewhat, especially by the older generation. Traditionalists rule the world around here and women are still subjugated to abuse in some cases. How would a crazy cat lover get people to adopt new opinions in that atmosphere? I guess it could be done, but around here people look at all change with suspicion, and it may be best just to pick up a larger more important cause and let the cat lovers flourish underground. I'm not the outspoken type. If I can't stand against any of myriad of wrongs I see in my community, how will I stand up for animal rights?

Last edited by krmb; 08-11-2015 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 11:46 AM

66 posts, read 80,532 times
in that same logic tell me why my dog has to be leashed to be outside but your stupid cat can crap all over my flowerbed with no leash in sight.

ML

Old 08-11-2015, 12:04 PM

34,755 posts, read 16,767,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Right and most dog owners who are every bit as obsessive over their freaking Fidos may take their coldness against cats a step further

I've seen countless news stories of dog lovers who kill cats for kicks. Many of these scumbags enjoy doing it, but I suppose you are excusing them?
I happen to be more of a dog person. I like the occasional friendly cat but there is no question in my mind that people keep pets for their own reasons, whether to be loved, have a playmate or simply someone to welcome them home. Most cats don't do that. Most dogs do.

But never, ever would I hurt a helpless animal or person for "kicks." That is a horrible accusation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology