Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 02:48 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
No, I'm certainly not kidding.

Dogs are aggressive and obnoxious animals by nature. Humans are not to blame for that.

Yes, I understand about the unconditional love thing for its owner and family. But what dog lovers give far too little thought to is how obnoxious and even threatening their dog is to most others outside that small sphere.

In addition, the tenacious and unremitting trust that dog people have for dogs is all too often found to be misplaced. Tragic that so many have had to learn that as a result of an attack requiring surgical repair of their face.
You are entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is: OPINION. I don't get why some people feel the need to denigrate and belittle the choices made by others. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves and their choices. I really don't know. But whatever the reason, you (and any other dog haters in this thread) are not going to change the minds of those of us who own and love dogs. I also find it interesting that some people have accused anyone who likes dogs of being cat haters and even cat killers. It's funny that they're accusing others of hate while overtly expressing their very poorly veiled hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 03:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Any animal can behave aggressively (so can any person). I suppose that makes them "aggressive by nature," just as humans are. Fair enough. Also no different from other pets. Cats are predators, after all...plenty of aggression, there.

Whether or not an animal is "obnoxious" is pretty open to interpretation, and depends on what you consider obnoxious.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:35 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,282 times
Dogs >>>> Cats

Old 08-14-2015, 04:09 PM

838 posts, read 1,352,943 times
Quote:
Yes....and it IS both bizarre and irrational.

Fact is, backed up by dog attack statistics, outside of the perspective of and relationship to its owner, many dogs - I'd say safely most dogs - are one of man's worst enemies.

Do you own any animals?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:59 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Any animal can behave aggressively (so can any person). I suppose that makes them "aggressive by nature," just as humans are. Fair enough. Also no different from other pets. Cats are predators, after all...plenty of aggression, there.

Whether or not an animal is "obnoxious" is pretty open to interpretation, and depends on what you consider obnoxious.
I know and people are the worst offenders so I don't know what that's got to do with anything. We conveniently forget that we are the most selfish species on the planet and not to mention we are animals as well.
To find a good dog is easy. To find a caring person..much more difficult. The best thing about a dog is what you see is what you get. A person won't always reveal their true colors.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
True...just today I had to remove a stinky, half rotten dead snake from my sweet little puppy's mouth. Then later in the day the other puppy had a dead frog.

But they look so sweet....
They look like trouble makers. I would not want to come home after they have been left alone for a few hours.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:14 PM

351 posts, read 285,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
Cats provided not only companionship for sailors on long voyages, but also provided protection from vermin.

The US Naval Institute recognizes the invaluable service cats provided servicemen at sea:
Cats in the Sea Services | U.S. Naval Institute

Also:
Cats were a common sight in the trenches and aboard ships during World War 1. An estimated 500,000 cats were dispatched to the trenches, where their “official duties” were to hunt rats and mice, some were used to detect gas and they’re also embraced as mascots and pets by the soldiers and sailors with whom they served.

Cute Heroes: The unlikely army of World War I

Old 09-11-2015, 08:02 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Yes....and it IS both bizarre and irrational.

Fact is, backed up by dog attack statistics, outside of the perspective of and relationship to its owner, many dogs - I'd say safely most dogs - are one of man's worst enemies.
Okay, I did some quick Googling. Shall we look at those statistics you mentioned?

There's about 78 million dogs owned as pets in the US. There's about 885,000 dog attacks per year. That's about 1% of dogs who have attacked humans per year.

So... really? You think 1% is "many dogs" or "most dogs"? Maybe you should actually look up the facts before you go claiming that your hateful opinion is backed up by the stats because clearly, it's not. The stats actually support that the overwhelming majority of dogs are not violent and don't attack people. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:02 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Okay, I did some quick Googling. Shall we look at those statistics you mentioned?

There's about 78 million dogs owned as pets in the US. There's about 885,000 dog attacks per year. That's about 1% of dogs who have attacked humans per year.

So... really? You think 1% is "many dogs" or "most dogs"? Maybe you should actually look up the facts before you go claiming that your hateful opinion is backed up by the stats because clearly, it's not. The stats actually support that the overwhelming majority of dogs are not violent and don't attack people. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Every bite is an attack and that number is just bites serious enough to require medical attention - a small fraction of the total attacks. And, for every documented attack, there are a hundred fold aggressions that threaten people outside of the dog's "family".

Yours is the typical denial - the typical spin that perpetuates this problem. There are many million dog bites per year, and they continue to be invisible to dog owners who can't see beyond their personal relationship with their dog. Your dog's basic instinct makes it a threat to most other people. That threat is always there - sometimes acted upon and documented and sometimes not. But it is there, everyone knows it, while millions irrationally deny it.

I've watched it for 65 years....I know exactly what I'm talking about. So do you.

All Dog Bite Statistics

Old 09-14-2015, 09:56 AM

838 posts, read 1,352,943 times
Quote:
Every bite is an attack and that number is just bites serious enough to require medical attention - a small fraction of the total attacks. And, for every documented attack, there are a hundred fold aggressions that threaten people outside of the dog's "family".

Yours is the typical denial - the typical spin that perpetuates this problem. There are many million dog bites per year, and they continue to be invisible to dog owners who can't see beyond their personal relationship with their dog. Your dog's basic instinct makes it a threat to most other people. That threat is always there - sometimes acted upon and documented and sometimes not. But it is there, everyone knows it, while millions irrationally deny it.

I've watched it for 65 years....I know exactly what I'm talking about. So do you.

All Dog Bite Statistics
Man's worst enemy is man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology