Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 04:37 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
Im no fan of dogs or cats, my favorite is when the dog is growling at you and the owner says. hes not going to bite, of course hes not going to bite you, you feed him, but he doesnt know me.also pet owners think they can talk to their pets and the pet understands every word, the only think the pet understands is when is he going to feed me.
That just shows how little you understand animals, not what animals understand. Firstly, a growl is a warning, and does not necessarily mean the dog will bite. If you continue to approach it or try to touch it, it may bite, but if you back off, it generally won't. Granted, I wouldn't go near a growling dog and I don't blame you for not trusting it. But not all dogs are like that - have you really never met a dog that came bounding up to you with a lolling tongue and a wagging tail, clearly happy to meet you? If not, then maybe you need to question what it is YOU are doing to provoke such a reaction in every dog you come across.

Secondly, animals understand much more than food. They understand love, anger, happiness, sadness, fun, danger, fear, etc. Most dogs love to play, most dogs love to be pet and scratched, most dogs love to go for a walk and run. There is so much more to having a pet than feeding it and you only show your own ignorance about pets by thinking that a dog understands about as much as a gerbil does.

Once, when I was in great physical pain and I was in tears because of it, my cat came up to me, meowed softly and tried to cuddle up with me. Every time I cried out in pain, he would meow and reach his paw out to me. It may sound like nothing, but if you'd been there, it would have been obvious that he could tell I was upset or hurting, and was trying to comfort me. It's a real shame if you've never experienced the unconditional love that a pet will give you.

In general, I'd trust a dog or cat over a human who hates animals any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:34 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,669,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That just shows how little you understand animals, not what animals understand. Firstly, a growl is a warning, and does not necessarily mean the dog will bite. If you continue to approach it or try to touch it, it may bite, but if you back off, it generally won't. Granted, I wouldn't go near a growling dog and I don't blame you for not trusting it. But not all dogs are like that - have you really never met a dog that came bounding up to you with a lolling tongue and a wagging tail, clearly happy to meet you? If not, then maybe you need to question what it is YOU are doing to provoke such a reaction in every dog you come across.

Secondly, animals understand much more than food. They understand love, anger, happiness, sadness, fun, danger, fear, etc. Most dogs love to play, most dogs love to be pet and scratched, most dogs love to go for a walk and run. There is so much more to having a pet than feeding it and you only show your own ignorance about pets by thinking that a dog understands about as much as a gerbil does.

Once, when I was in great physical pain and I was in tears because of it, my cat came up to me, meowed softly and tried to cuddle up with me. Every time I cried out in pain, he would meow and reach his paw out to me. It may sound like nothing, but if you'd been there, it would have been obvious that he could tell I was upset or hurting, and was trying to comfort me. It's a real shame if you've never experienced the unconditional love that a pet will give you.

In general, I'd trust a dog or cat over a human who hates animals any day.
I agree. It just shows you how some have the capacity to be pet owners or even have relationships with humans. It really seems that people are one way or the other. If I were wanting to meet another for a relationship, I would find out early on if he was "into pets", or if he did not have one currently, at least see that he had some history with, an interest in and capacity for.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:57 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Who said cats are demonized?

Old 01-17-2016, 10:06 PM

105 posts, read 95,850 times
my tabby is extremely affectionate..some might say she's like a dog that way..my tortie is more independent..i love cats and don't trust people who don't. I like dogs too, but prefer cats.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:15 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
You absolutely have no understanding of dogs. Your fear and demonizing of dogs is irrational.

I happen to agree. If any animal "gets a pass" - it is the cat. The make cats a fetish - collect cat memorabilia, figurines, etc. Dog lovers don't do that.

Cat lovers are not always "animal lovers". Many are exclusively devoted to CATS. However, they don't give a fig about other animals. Most dog lovers have compassion for all creatures.

As to creativity, I find that math and science types prefer cats. Left brained types, where as those of us who are creative, artistic and verbal, passionate and sloppy - prefer the company of dogs.

Just an observation.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,669,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I happen to agree. If any animal "gets a pass" - it is the cat. The make cats a fetish - collect cat memorabilia, figurines, etc. Dog lovers don't do that.

Cat lovers are not always "animal lovers". Many are exclusively devoted to CATS. However, they don't give a fig about other animals. Most dog lovers have compassion for all creatures.

As to creativity, I find that math and science types prefer cats. Left brained types, where as those of us who are creative, artistic and verbal, passionate and sloppy - prefer the company of dogs.

Just an observation.
I just want to say that, I don't know if I would make generalizations. First, it is a bit tiring how those who happen to own cats have assumptions made that they are the "nutty cat lady", etc., even when not having a bunch of cats. In my case, becoming a cat owner was unexpected, having been convinced by another in the building I lived in to adopt one from their litter, ultimately finding it to be a great experience, continuing to be a cat owner for years.

Personally, I have always loved dogs and prefer some traits over some traits of cats at times, but when renting, dogs may not be allowed while cats are, so this can happen. I am actually grateful to have been inadvertently introduced to cats, but will also always love dogs, enjoying those of others. To further my point, I apparently possess the left-brained characteristics, but never "sloppy", whatever that refers to. I don't collect cat memorabilia, detest math and have a universal love of animals, so there is no set thing, here.

I guess this is similar to those taking offense if being analyzed astrologically (to which I feel there is more to it than what some think, not knowing why it seems to have some validity, it just does - even if appearing fake to some). It is not just about "one sign being compatible with another", which some seem to think. Not to bring that up, but just to show a similarity and being analytical (having Virgo and Libra placements in my chart that may cause that). As I say this, my loon of a cat, just stuck her paw into my freshly, poured glass of water.. usually keeping out of her reach.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:34 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
One of my favorite cats EVER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgxL-PwmY7s

Old 01-24-2016, 01:16 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
The make cats a fetish - collect cat memorabilia, figurines, etc. Dog lovers don't do that.
Not really into dogs or cats, but I do have to say that in the store I work in, the selection of dog items in the pet section far outnumbers the stuff for cats, especially at Christmas. When is the last time you saw a cat in a raincoat and boots, or a tutu, in a stroller or purse? Had it's coat trimmed and maybe even dyed to resemble some other creature? We've sold plaques, cups, Christmas ornaments and stockings, license plate holders, figurines, painted saws, etc with numerous different dog breeds on them. Dog lovers are every bit as crazy over their pets as cat lovers.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:15 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
If I were to get a pet now it would be a cat because I live in an extreme weather area and don't want to deal with having to take Fido out in the middle of a snowstorm, or worse, an ice storm. I live on the 2nd floor and the stairs are difficult to navigate when ice covered (both the treads and the railings), and its more difficult for me now being in my 70s.

Have owned dogs and cats and loved them all.

Last edited by katie45; 01-24-2016 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-24-2016, 12:47 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,569 times
Another way cats get a pass is in rentals. Many landlords will rent to tenants who have a cat, but not a dog.

At one time I was a landlord, and I rented to all tenants with animals. However, I had one house that needed to be gutted because of the urine stench left by a family with two cats.

I never expereniced that with tenants who had dogs.

In my other post, the word "sloppy" meant not anal or OCD, affectionate, spontaneous, open minded - I did not mean messy or dirty.

Cat lovers seem to embrace and promote the whole "crazy cat lady" stereotype. Those memes on facebook were not written by dog lovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology