Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:31 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times

Advertisements

I see all the time children and young women with these big ass dogs that they clearly can't control walking down the street and when they escape and bite you or a family member they're going to be like "I'm sorry"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 06:48 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I see all the time children and young women with these big ass dogs that they clearly can't control walking down the street and when they escape and bite you or a family member they're going to be like "I'm sorry"
That's what I take issue with. Raising a dog correctly is like raising a child. There's no way around it. If you have to leave, you have to hire a pet sitter; otherwise, your dog will get bored and want to destroy the house or yard. No matter how small (or big) your dog is, it will require training to become a good canine citizen. Dogs, in their raw form, are not great to have around. It's like getting a screaming two year old and never bothering to teach it manners. The kid's going to continue to scream, cry, fight, and test boundaries until someone puts a foot down.

Cats, on the other hand, though, are all animal, and are great in their raw form because the independent spirit hasn't been bred out of them (like it has with the wolf). Cats require just a little more maintenance than a fish aquarium and can provide several times the enjoyment. Living with a cat, though, is about learning rules and sharing territory. With dogs, you establish yourself as pack leader and expect the dog to submit to your training. With cats, the training is mutual; you learn the cat's rules (the ones you want to follow) and it will learn your rules (the ones it wants to follow). There's no power struggle with a cat; it's all negotiation.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:00 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR25 View Post
I'm really beginning to dislike dogs.

Visiting others is a real pain if they have dogs. Their dogs will either go psycho jumping and nibbling at you, especially when this unwanted, or want nothing to do with you when you try to pet them. Then you always get the comment "My dog is so nice; it would never hurt anyone."Dogs can seemingly do no wrong no matter how poorly they behave.

I just don't understand how obsessed people get about their dogs and it seems to be a growing trend with dogs seemingly everywhere you go. I don't hear about people being called crazy dog people but someone with a couple cats is automatically labeled a crazy cat Person.

Cats don't go around killing people, terrorizing them (to the extent that dogs do) and tend to be much quieter. There tends to be a double standard in behavior. A scratch or paw from a cat (without even leaving a scratch on your skin) is seen as pure malice while a dog mauling (i.e. jumping, scratching, snapping) you when you come over to it just means its "excited" or "it doesn't know better." Also somehow cats are seen as uncaring and selfish pets yet dogs are "man's best friend."

Anyone else notice this bizarre phenomenon?

You have expressed my exact sentiments. Thank you!

Old 08-08-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Cats are selfish, uncaring little beasts. If you were sinking in quick sand you could send your dog for help while your cat... would just turn his back, sit down and clean himself. And .. Cats will mess with you. They'll walk over to the door and act like they want out, but when you get up to let them out, they'll just stand there for a minute before walking back into the room and take your seat.
That's a load of crap.

I've read countless stories of cats saving their owners. The thing with cats is that they are too small to physically be of much help to a human....but cats are very intelligent animals and will find other ways.

Dogs kill children, and yet dogs are given total carte blanche in our society. You see this double standard play out in the penalties handed down to scumbags who are cruel to dogs versus cats. Anyone who hurts a dog will get the book thrown at them FAR more so than the scum sucking POS that gets off harming defenseless cats.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Wow, what about the cat that saved the boy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBW5dfRoG7Q
Perfect illustration. I would have posted this same vid but you beat me to it

Old 08-08-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I like cats. I like all animals. But I love dogs. We have two cats and four dogs.

It seems that the "cat community" has it in for dogs. On Facebook, I see it all the time.

Yes. I like dogs a bit more. And NO. I do not think that they are dopey, stupid or indiscriminate in their affection. I am really tired of hearing that.

Many people in the "cat cult" really do not care for animals - other than cats.

General animal lovers - including most "dog people" - love all animals. If one - cat or dog - was in need of a home - dog people are way more likely to open their homes to a cat. Or two.

Cat people? Not so much.

I love ALL animals. But I do not fixate on one species.
Not my experience.

Take Kristen Lindsey....the POS rabid dog-loving veterinarian who got off bragging about trapping and then shooting a defenseless, neighborhood pet cat right through the eye. Then she hoisted the struggling cat up while impaled on an arrow to "show off" for her Facebook friends.

She is but one example of rabid dog freaks who get their kicks torturing and killing cats.

Rabid cat lovers don't do this kind of crap to dogs. We just ignore dogs as a rule.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
Dogs are awesome, cats are pointless. Deal with it.
I repped you by accident

Cats rule and dogs just drool. Deal with it

Last edited by rhiannon67; 08-08-2015 at 07:21 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I repped you by accident

Cats rule and dogs just drool. Deal with it

This is my stance. I don't take an issue with dogs in general; they make terrific tools and serve well as service animals for the blind and deaf, herding animals for farmers, and rescue dogs for police and firemen but even though they make awesome tools, they make almost equally awful pets. There's just too much work required to keep a dog. If one is not required for your job, or if you aren't in a position where you can stay home all of the time, just don't get one. We have canines who are not upstanding citizens, because people who have lives that can only accommodate low maintenance animals get high maintenance animals like dogs and then refuse to give them any of the care and training they need. (Even small dogs require maintenance and basic obedience training. They're also difficult to housebreak.)

My opinion is that the pet lovers who think dogs are awesome (but can't accommodate them) should really open their minds. Get a cat. Do some clicker training (they can learn most of the basic tricks you can teach to young puppies). Make a "cat room" in your house. See if it works for you. You might be pleasantly surprised to find out that your new "best friend" has pointy ears, a long tail, sharp claws, loves to go for walks, climbs trees, and greets you with a hearty "mew" in the morning. Cats rule.

Last edited by krmb; 08-08-2015 at 08:56 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 08:51 AM

343 posts, read 726,362 times
Dogs have masters, cats have staff...that's it!

Old 08-08-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyterp View Post
Dogs have masters, cats have staff...that's it!
"Staff" is free to come and go as it pleases; "masters" always have to oversee the "slave" and tell it what to do. There's also always a chance the "slaves" may revolt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology