Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,024,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post

Also, a valid DX of ADHD or Autism would easily qualify you for SSDI. People get that for far lesser diseases or illnesses. You also don't apply "for the 20th time" my friend. You can only apply twice (for the same problem) before you are required to get an attorney and take the matter to a court hearing.

This is misinformed and incorrect. My godson has been trying to get SSDI for four years and has been turned down multiple times with valid diagnoses of autism. He also has a very good attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 07:57 PM

284 posts, read 376,740 times
find a job that you can qualify for, and that you could learn to love. Then you'll do your best to be great at it. I had worked in tech for my 'career'. However, I picked up a part time job at a store that sold my hobby. Dang if I didn't love going to that part-time retail job. I got to talk to people about my hobby, share my experience with them, introduce new people to the sport, and I found it incredibly rewarding.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,223,186 times
Another vote for volunteering. You've got gifts and talents. Everyone does. There are tests you can take to help you discover your gifts.
Volunteering with animals is a great thing. They don't yell at you. They need you. You can read to the cats, groom the horses, walk the dogs.
Stop thinking about tomorrow and just take it a day at a time. You can survive and you're a great person. You have good thought patterns and are very articulate.
I hope you are pursuing help from social programs. Even if you can contribute with some groceries, via food stamps. ANYTHING. My son got food stamps for a couple of months while they helped him get a job. You have to try.
LIFE IS GOOD. Look outside the box. Don't listen to the negatives. Chase them away. Hug your mom. Shake your dad's hand. (or hug him, too). Let them know you'll try hard then get out and pound the pavement. Step away from the controller.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:44 PM

273 posts, read 200,052 times
I really lol at a lot of these comments. Motivation is NOT something that is easy for depressed people to develop. Once you lose it, it's pretty much gone for good. Granted, my parents aren't kicking me out of the house, and I do go out and volunteer some, but lets get real: competition for money out in the real world is intense this day and age. The OP is right on the money.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
So...it's kinda hard for me to believe that the parents of a truly autistic child would kick him out. Especially so long as he has been trying very hard to obtain employment, as you claim you have.

Video Games are the anti-christ, I feel. But that's a different subject. I believe they encourage folks to live in a fantasy world and also sub-consciously make them think that the REAL world is less important, and also more unfair, since the gamers cannot control the Real World like they can the games. So when things go wrong, they get depressed or angry and blame others. Just watch--time will tell and when enough studies are done and VG's all of this will come out.

BTW--I am currently working on my Master's degree in Psych, and am planning to write my MA Thesis on the Psychological Detriments of frequent and prolonged Video Gaming.
You'd be surprised. I made a topic in the parenting forums regarding adult children (like me) living with their parents. I got attacked and mauled like crazy on there, so much that I had to up and leave.

Video games are a great way to calm oneself down with. In my case, it has a better effect than deep breathing or yoga ever would. It's no where near as harmful as a drug addiction would be. And no, it's not the shooters/adult games, but rather the colorful, child-friendly games like Mario, Smash Bros., and Pokemon that give me the most peace.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
9 times out of 10, not college material means burger flipping for the rest of your life, figuring out how to survive in a 1 bedroom apartment.
Even college material isn't good enough sometimes, and this is coming from a guy with a ****ing bachelor's degree.

If there was one wish for me in this world, it would be getting a job based on what you know, rather than who you know.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:34 PM

238 posts, read 226,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
You'd be surprised. I made a topic in the parenting forums regarding adult children (like me) living with their parents. I got attacked and mauled like crazy on there, so much that I had to up and leave.
Living with your parents wasn't the reason you were "attacked and mauled like crazy".

People came down hard on you (and rightly so) because you willfully and maliciously said that were your parents to force you to take responsibility for yourself you would threaten a suicide you presumably had no intention of committing and you never denied this. That is vile and reprehensible and demonstrates a complete and utter lack of conscience.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:42 PM

238 posts, read 226,547 times
OP, you clearly need professional help. All of the advice and good intentions can't help you the way someone who is trained and aware of your particular circumstances, both physically and mentally can.

We aren't a cookie cutter society and one size does not fit all, so a stock - well, this worked for my cousin so it will work for you - may work for you or it may not. We don't know, for example, if you have chemical imbalances and a simple medication could align things correctly or if therapy or even a basic routine you never learned could help you.

What I believe is clear is that you are incapable at this time of finding a reason to live, so let someone help you do that. There are people who can, who in fact base their whole careers on it, because they care. If you can't care enough for/about yourself right now to fix things, find someone who can.

Much love and positive vibes to you.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:33 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,827,158 times
I don't know about the volunteering thing. The OP sounds very depressed and it's hard for depressed people to volunteer for stuff. One of my friends would get upset because her depressed stepson wouldn't "even try" anything. I had to point out to her that depression makes you not want to try.

To the OP: any chance of seeing a regular doctor and maybe getting antidepressants prescribed? That could go a long ways to making you feel better.

And there was something else I was thinking of. Have you thought about teaching gaming on the computer for a fee, say, so much per hour or a flat fee for a set amount of hours? I personally know nothing of gaming or anything like that, but I'd love to learn and I don't even know where to begin. If I could afford it, I'd have someone show me what the gaming world is all about. Maybe a Craig's List ad would get you an hour or two a week to start. It's not much, but better than nothing. And I think you'd feel a lot better if you had some money coming in, even if it's only a little bit.

Have you contacted any newspapers in your area? Sometimes they need opinion writers (not reporters) and even if at first you're writing for free, you can get your name out there. Just another thought.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:41 AM

214 posts, read 328,298 times
There are children in syria who may never see their futures and the struggles their families are going through, so being unemployed for 6 months and having a bad time of things is no excuse to end your own life. Life is beautiful and sure it's full of a**holes at times, but at 25 you have so much to look forward to. When people nonchalantly talk about committing suicide because a few things are getting a little tough in their lives it makes me angry because everyone should be fortunate to wake up every day, some people are blind and cannot even witness the greatness earth has to offer. 6 monts unemployment is nothing; I've been unemployed for longer periods, years even due to mental illness and depression, but I've came out the other side this is why it angers me when people talk about ending their lives when thinga don't go right. Do yoi realise how fortunate you are? How fortunate I am? How much everyone is whom is In full health? Things have been bad in the past for me, I've grown up with my mother going in and out of mental institutions, then witnessing her having mental breakdowns, then at 13 finding out she had breast cancer, then a few months later dying of a brain hemorrhage, then my father's ill health a couple years later where he could hve died if he didn't have the major operation needed, it's not been easy at all and to top it off, at 17 i started getting bad acne and had that up until I was early 20's and it killed my confidence, as well as being overweight, then having my grandmother die whom inwas very close to, thrn suffering from depression and anxiety to the point I felt awful about life, and yes i did feel like i would be better dead at the time but i had to shake those negative thoughts and realise how lucky i am to at least be in full health and have all my faculties in tact. You can pull through this and i know you will, just start with your mindset. What would you like to accomplish in future? Are there countries you want to visit? What would you like to become?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology