Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 11:22 AM

26,688 posts, read 41,601,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Girls are raised in these households too and it doesn't seem to stop too many of them from succeeding.

[snip]
Well, boys need a father figure which they cannot get from a woman. I'm sorry, I know single mothers do their damn best from personal experience but you still need men around to help boys transition into men. If not a husband, maybe relatives or good friends.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2015 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 11:24 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,274,894 times
Quote:
Girls are raised in these households too and it doesn't seem to stop too many of them from succeeding.

[snip]
Girls, (until very recently in historic terms) were conditioned by society to let the other party initiate contact; there has been a deliberate movement to turn things upside down, and there will be many "casualties" when the media is extensively used to perpetuate the emerging beliefs and values, and fewer males are conditioned by discarded codes of chivalry, or even if not, are less of a presence.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2015 at 11:24 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 11:31 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,641,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Girls, (until very recently in historic terms) were conditioned by society to let the other party initiate contact; there has been a deliberate movement to turn things upside down, and there will be many "casualties" when the media is extensively used to perpetuate the emerging beliefs and values, and fewer males are conditioned by discarded codes of chivalry, or even if not, are less of a presence.
And that makes them watch video games and avoid social situations? How so?

And in my observation of young slacker guys my daughters know, whether they had dads in their lives or not seems to make little difference.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:43 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,280,350 times
Why so much hate towards socially awkward people? Are they hurting you in any way? If not, leave them alone. By the way if you try to reach out to them just know it might not be reciprocated. Any negative label you throw on them makes you look bad, not them.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:46 AM

26,688 posts, read 41,601,319 times
Quote:
And that makes them watch video games and avoid social situations? How so?

And in my observation of young slacker guys my daughters know, whether they had dads in their lives or not seems to make little difference.
Well, there is a big difference between being in your son's life and actually fathering them. My dad was in my life but Mod cut. he was no father.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2015 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:56 AM

8,012 posts, read 8,180,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Why so much hate towards socially awkward people? Are they hurting you in any way? If not, leave them alone. By the way if you try to reach out to them just know it might not be reciprocated. Any negative label you throw on them makes you look bad, not them.
Apparently socially awkward guys are the bane of society. They are worse than gang bangers, and drug dealers.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:05 PM

957 posts, read 1,057,434 times
Ah, the daily **** on young men thread

Some people are late bloomers, others know what they want. Live and let live!

I've never been even remotely a slacker, but I was definitely socially awkward and weird around strangers or people I hardly knew. I turned out just fine and I'm in a much better place financially than most people who went directly to college.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:10 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,201,020 times
Quote:

What's going on out there? I feel sorry for the ladies who have to deal with them.
My theory; The fact that women usually make as much money as men now, combined with the wide spread avaiability of government social welfare programs for women with children, have greatly reduced a man's ability to attract a mate via his economic status. Impressing women was the primary drive for men to overachieve economically for millenium, absent that driver men just are not so motivated to participate in the rat race now.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:10 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,104,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
Just looking for some feedback. I live in a college town and I interact with a lot of girls and guys in their early 20's. I don't really have this problem with most girls but some of these young dudes here are so incredibly socially awkward.

I was in the grocery store the other day and saw some young dude I used to work with. I just said "Hey, how is it going?" His reaction was so weird, he just looked at me and did not say anything.

Maybe I am too old but I find that super bizarre and it has happened to me more than a few times. Maybe I am too friendly?

Last week, I was in the same grocery store and some guy that used to be my teacher at Iowa State saw me and said "Hey, how are you?"- He was super friendly even though I never really liked him all that much, but it was nice of him though.

Maybe I am crazy but if I see someone I know or have interacted with, I think saying Hi, How are you is not being weird. Is it?
Maybe he didn't remember you.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:21 PM

709 posts, read 764,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
Just looking for some feedback. I live in a college town and I interact with a lot of girls and guys in their early 20's. I don't really have this problem with most girls but some of these young dudes here are so incredibly socially awkward.

I was in the grocery store the other day and saw some young dude I used to work with. I just said "Hey, how is it going?" His reaction was so weird, he just looked at me and did not say anything.

Maybe I am too old but I find that super bizarre and it has happened to me more than a few times. Maybe I am too friendly?
Maybe he thought you were coming on to him, creeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology