Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

If everybody is different if everybody is special if everybody is a narcissist then we are the same
Get over it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 06:08 PM

424 posts, read 430,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Selfishness is nothing new. One reason it's getting worse could be lack of religion.
Some of the most egocentric and smug people I have ever met are religious. Fundamental Christians and Muslims are the worst. It has been my experience that religion solves nothing, and indeed often makes things worse. It has served as the Great Divider rather than the Great Uniter of Mankind.

Fundamentalist Religious folk often will tell atheists like me that I'm gonna burn in Hell if I don't believe as they do. Does that sound un-selfish and helpful to you?

Nope...didn't think so.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:39 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
You can believe that you can do the best job -- its ok if its at least possible. But not if you are fooling yourself to keep up an artificially inflated image of yourself.
But the thing is in some cases you almost have to keep up a fake image of yourself. You know that you could be the best candidate but you look like one of the worst to the employer on the surface. Employers are often going to judge you for not having much work experience. They're going to think there's something wrong with you if no one is hiring you. If you're introverted/ not sociable you have to pretend to be sociable. I mean the list just goes on and on. They pretty much judge you for anything and everything. Granted I don't know how to fake anything about myself but I wish I did. Where has being 100 percent authentic got me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
Some of the most egocentric and smug people I have ever met are religious. Fundamental Christians and Muslims are the worst. It has been my experience that religion solves nothing, and indeed often makes things worse. It has served as the Great Divider rather than the Great Uniter of Mankind.

Fundamentalist Religious folk often will tell atheists like me that I'm gonna burn in Hell if I don't believe as they do. Does that sound un-selfish and helpful to you?

Nope...didn't think so.

Haha I was going to say something along those lines but I didn't know if I wanted to be that brutal. The concept of religion has been the most long standing cause of damage to our society as it has hurt all groups.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I am so special, that there isn't a single person in the world that I would change places with. That's pretty special.

But even then, I am not so vain as to believe that there is a supreme being who takes time out of his busy day to concern himself with how I am behaving, or to check up and see if I spend sufficient time worshipping his holy butt.

Nor can I believe that his holy butt is so vain that he rearranges eternity accofding to who worships him properly and who doesn't. Flawed behavior unbecoming a perfect entity.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Because my generation's parents lied to us about being special and some people were dumb enough to believe it. The media reinforces that lie as well.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:21 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Human nature?

Otherwise, some folks who lack confidence will always feel inferior, and never accomplish nor amount to anything (asking a girl out, getting a job, starting a project, etc.). For those folks, a bit of "special" works just fine for them.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:39 PM

587 posts, read 379,348 times
The secret is to have low expectations

If you expect people to think like you, you will have a lot of disappointments in life.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:42 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
... I am not so vain as to believe that there is a supreme being who takes time out of his busy day to concern himself with how I am behaving, or to check up and see if I spend sufficient time worshipping his holy butt ...
You're right. There is no supreme being taking time out of his busy day to help you. He's helping BYU, Notre Dame, and Texas Christian win football games. No time for you or me. And I dunno why, because I think we're totes special.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:22 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
A lot of it is projection from parents. You are special because you are a part of *me.*

The less kids people have, the more resources they invest in each one and more messages they get that they *of course* are special!

Idk why people seem to trace this back to the 70s. I think it caught on *mainstream* in the late 80's. Maybe the upper financial classes started with this "crap" in the 70s and it took a while to catch on.

Much like medications for ADHD first started to be taken by those who had money in the 90s but didn't catch on to the masses as a means to "success" until the 2000s.

As a kid, I never heard of ADD until I "summered" in a town where half the kids were in private schools and on Ritalin.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:30 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
hakkarin:

I DO think I am "special".

~I am of an older generation now, so that makes me "special"

~I am A "Baby boomer", so that makes me special

~I am handicapped, so I get to park in the handicapped spaces, a "special-ness" that unfortunately makes me "special".

~I am becoming a Senior Citizen, so since we treat them "different", that makes me "special".

~I {was} redheaded as a child, and maintained a red beard as an adult, {now all turning gray} so I WAS "special"-always

~I have a very distinct deep dimple in my chin {not all men have them} so that makes me "special". There was a phrase "Dimple in chin, Devil within"

~So...in many ways, I AM "Special".

~You are "Special".

~Everyone is special in their own way...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology