Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:26 AM

113 posts, read 223,587 times

Advertisements

It depends so much on what part of the south you're in. I've lived in FL and AL for most of my life. Right now I'm in Panama City, FL, which is a very redneck, Bible-belt, willfully ignorant, good ole boy place. Sarasota, FL - night and day difference. Mostly transplants, tons of culture, TONS of money (with attitudes to match).

The fears you have are real in some places, and non-existent in others. Hopefully you'll end up somewhere that's more on the moderate side. There are wonderful cities and people down here for sure!

Old 09-22-2015, 07:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Make no mistake: it's an entirely different culture. Be very afraid.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:49 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Make no mistake: it's an entirely different culture. Be very afraid.
Ridiculous and inflammatory statement. If I moved to NH, should I be afraid I'd have to quit shaving my arm pits, live in a commune and eat nothing but granola? I've "heard" that's how everyone is in NH. Honestly.... fear mongering at it's worst.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:07 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
This is what I have noticed in living in the south and I live in Florida. Florida which in many parts of the state is only southern in climate. However the region I live in is very southern in personality and cultures.
It is heavily populated by church going types, and I have felt the effects of that. Such as when I have tried to meet people their church has come up frequently. I have had people that I have met such as at a restaurant, that while making small talk. Suddenly I am handed a card a business card from their church. I politely take the card, but I am not interested in it. So yes there is a lot of overtones of Religion in many areas of the south. I don't know why anyone would be offended, by newcomers noticing this trait.

The diet is very unhealthy in many areas of the south. There are not many choices for Grocery stores for some reason, and with that is a lack of options and competition on price. I find groceries expensive in the south. As a Diabetic I find it very hard to buy the proper food here. There just isn't a market for certain healthier products I need to buy. That statement comes from the manager of a Publix grocery store here in Florida

So the south isn't a bad place to live in, but it is a very different place to live if your from elsewhere in the USA. That's how it is, that's how it's always been, and evidently that is how the natives want it to be.

No I don't think it is a healthy place to live. I do blame the culture of poor diets, the lack of exercise. I blame a generational culture of these bad traits as the reasons why. I think the south lacks options for grocery shopping and exercise options. Way to many people seem to frown on anyone that believes in public transit in big cities. Everyone wants to drive and not walk. All that contributes to the fact it is noticeably obese down here. There is always some excuse not to walk. I definitely do believe it is overly religious in many areas.

If anyone is offended by what I described of the south. Well all I can say is those people, don't get out much and don't live in reality.
\

This is a concern. I posted another thread and people said that many southerners will ask what church you attend. I have every intention of being with my SO though that is not an issue at all. I have attended horse shows in the south and enjoyed them, but, vacationing is certainly not like living in a place.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:10 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I may be moving to the South as my SO is in the Air Force although totally unsure of what part yet. My SO is very excited as he has lived in the GA, SC, Saint Louis, NC and likes it. I have only lived in MA and NH so I have only visited the south. I'm worried that it may be full of church going people that just aren't my type of people. My SO just keeps talking about lower cost of living, but, I feel like that isn't the only thing to a good life so I'm concerned. Do I have some sort of phobia going on here???? I posted in another forum and seriously that did nothing, but, make me even more concerned
To put it mildly, yes.

Many parts of the south are perfectly fine unless you live your life intolerant of whatever culture you think you're going to find. Also, for the love of Christ, I'm 30 years old and was raised in the South and I seriously can't remember one time in my life where a conversation was predicated on church, religion, or any of that. I'm not even religious in the first place and nobody seems to care at all. That's the most overblown thing I've ever seen. Yes people in the South go to church at a higher rate than other parts of the country and you'll see random religious things in the same way you'll see random hippie stuff on the West Coast. People who aren't used to either one will laugh and think it's weird but it won't affect your life. People don't inundate others with religious stuff and push it in your face. If it seems that way it's just because you're not used to it.

It isn't 1965. You'll be fine.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:16 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
I may be moving to the South as my SO is in the Air Force although totally unsure of what part yet. My SO is very excited as he has lived in the GA, SC, Saint Louis, NC and likes it. I have only lived in MA and NH so I have only visited the south. I'm worried that it may be full of church going people that just aren't my type of people. My SO just keeps talking about lower cost of living, but, I feel like that isn't the only thing to a good life so I'm concerned. Do I have some sort of phobia going on here???? I posted in another forum and seriously that did nothing, but, make me even more concerned
Ifin yer fixen to come down her wit yer liberal ways and tell us southern people how to beehave then yer in fur a big sooprise. We don't take kindly to yankees tellin us wat ter do in our own backyerd.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:17 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
I'm born and raised in NC. I have lived other places. I have a graduate degree, am not fat, do not watch Nascar (ever), and worked my entire adult life fighting racism. I don't go to church, since I can see God in the eyes of a big Palmetto bug.Please don't stereotype me.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:18 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Ifin yer fixen to come down her wit yer liberal ways and tell us southern people how to beehave then yer in fur a big sooprise. We don't take kindly to yankees tellin us wat ter do in our own backyerd.
What does this mean>]<

Old 09-22-2015, 08:31 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
I'm not trying to be political, but yes there's no denying many parts of the south lean conservative/Republican/whatever and honestly a lot of media that panders to liberal readers and viewers has made so many people think that the South is a backwards wasteland of flag-toting racists who likely can't read or write past a 5th grade level. Honestly it's actually pretty sad. The South has plenty of nice and generous people as well as people who have transplanted there from the North and say they'll never, ever go back. As for the political part of that, I'm fairly middle on most issues so I'm not trying to pick on one group over the other, I just recognize BS when I see it.

Quote:
What does this mean>]<
Sarcasm because people hear these types of things so much now that there's nothing to do but just act like the people that "terrified" Northerners think they'll find in the South.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:36 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
This is what I have noticed in living in the south and I live in Florida. Florida which in many parts of the state is only southern in climate. However the region I live in is very southern in personality and cultures.
It is heavily populated by church going types, and I have felt the effects of that. Such as when I have tried to meet people their church has come up frequently. I have had people that I have met such as at a restaurant, that while making small talk. Suddenly I am handed a card a business card from their church. I politely take the card, but I am not interested in it. So yes there is a lot of overtones of Religion in many areas of the south. I don't know why anyone would be offended, by newcomers noticing this trait.

The diet is very unhealthy in many areas of the south. There are not many choices for Grocery stores for some reason, and with that is a lack of options and competition on price. I find groceries expensive in the south. As a Diabetic I find it very hard to buy the proper food here. There just isn't a market for certain healthier products I need to buy. That statement comes from the manager of a Publix grocery store here in Florida

So the south isn't a bad place to live in, but it is a very different place to live if your from elsewhere in the USA. That's how it is, that's how it's always been, and evidently that is how the natives want it to be.

No I don't think it is a healthy place to live. I do blame the culture of poor diets, the lack of exercise. I blame a generational culture of these bad traits as the reasons why. I think the south lacks options for grocery shopping and exercise options. Way to many people seem to frown on anyone that believes in public transit in big cities. Everyone wants to drive and not walk. All that contributes to the fact it is noticeably obese down here. There is always some excuse not to walk. I definitely do believe it is overly religious in many areas.

If anyone is offended by what I described of the south. Well all I can say is those people, don't get out much and don't live in reality.
I am not offended by what you describe....but we live in Kentucky and are not that at all.

Quote:
I haven't been to church in decades....I believe in God but not organized religion and even though people are church goers for the most part here, I still get along fine with them. (My husband is an Atheist.) I get handed Church tracks from time to time, I will take them and smile...sometimes tell them I am not interested...I am not offended, they mean well in their own way.

Quote:
The general Southern Diet is bad for you, but there are a lot of healthy choices in the groceries and eateries out there - we have lots of great Groceries stores - Trader Joe's, Whole Food, Good Food Co-op, plus a large array of Farmers Markets around town.(Plus Aldi's, Costco, Kroger etc.) Tons of farms and those Co-0ps and Farmers Markets abound like I said, you can't do much healthier than that!
Quote:
Not many people use the mass transit in our city, but many do get out walk, jog, and hike...lots of hiking/fitness trails around....and lots of people are out using them! Just because the place as a whole doesn't use them alot (talking about the South in general...or anywhere.) doesn't mean that you can't.
There are always personal choices to make....it's up to each individual to make the right ones for them.

As a rule of thumb, the pace of living is a little more laid back, a little slower in the South (I like this myself) and people are very polite and cordial...very open and friendly (as a general rule.)
The cost of living is usually much lower in most parts of the south...so you end up with a nicer house, car etc. and in the end it means higher quality of life. So much on this thread is just ridiculous stereotypical dribble.....The South is represented by Bubba, who eats Moon pies and Fried Chicken all day long, drinking his beer and moonshine, is conservative, racist, homophobic.... I live in the South, eat healthy (generally non-GMO organic, often locally grown/raised), not a Church goer at all, walk many places and love to hike. I am somewhat of a Liberal who supports equal rights and liberty for all.
I am not racist or homophobic (Our Mayor in our city is openly gay, so lots of people are not homophobic here) I also support public transportation and healthy life style choices....many people here don't...but I certainly know a large number of people who are just like me.

Stereotyping someone because of what part of the country they come from is almost as bad as stereotyping people because of race, religion or gender...I thought we were past all of that...evidently not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology