Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:15 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Probably because she has a gift of gab and regular straight men are thinkers and not talkers.
Gay gays like to let it all hang out there for all to hear !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I don't think any of the posters here have actually met many gay men.
LOL ya think? I also don't think they've met many women either.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
The gay best friend going shopping for shoes is so ridiculously cliche I can't really imagine it's real as media portrays it.
It is not. At least not here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Maybe downtown Manhattan? But that is probably just another cliche'.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:31 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Gay men don't judge you, or try to hit on you. I had a very close gay male friend when I was younger, who was a very good listener when it came to relationship issues. A shoulder to cry on so to speak, and it worked both ways. We could talk to each other about just about anything. He complained about his boyfriend. I complained about my boyfriend. Sympathy for each other.

Could a woman do this with a straight man? No. She could with her girlfriends, but then you get into competition, cattiness, and "what did YOU do to cause the problem?". She would have to have a very special close girlfriend to talk that candidly to.
Hahahahahaha!

Maybe 'A' gay man didn't judge you, but gay men are still people, and 'gay friend' style gay men can be as catty as any girlfriend.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTX3939 View Post
Is it true that woman feel more comfy with gay men rather than regular straight men?
there was a discussion like this with my friends and we saw and observe that a man had 4 woman with him that were decent good looking but it turns out he was gay?
Whats the psych between this?
First: If a gay man was out with 4 women, they were not "with him". They were 5 people out together. (Difference in mindset. One is a guy with a harem, the other is a group of friends LOL)

I will grant that there is an appeal about gay men when it comes to women. You don't have to worry about them ever hitting on you, if you have a boyfriend, said boyfriend doesn't get jealous or "think that something might be going on" between you two. And unlike other women, the gay man isn't competing for the same guys you want to date, and you never need to worry about him sleeping with your husband.

That said, I don't know any woman who actively seeks out gay men to be friends with. Sure, there are probably a few odd ducks out there who do, but in general people gravitate to other people they enjoy being with, who have common interests, and are fun. That situation tends to put women and gay men together more often, but it's not a conscious thing. Also, few women have aversions to gay men. And we don't tend to get as weirded out about being around gay women as some men seem to be around other gay men. Case in point, I've had a number of lesbian friends, coworkers, managers. Never once did I worry that they "want me" LOL But many men can't seem to get past that.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:26 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I think most of it boils down to the stereotype of gay men being very tasteful in fashion, decor, etc.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:31 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
As a straight woman, here is my take. I think there may be some truth to this. I think that on a superficial level, a lot of(not all) gay men present themselves very well - they are well-groomed, well-dressed, etc. Women find that a lot more attractive than ratty t-shirts and fart jokes.

On a deeper level, I think gay men are easier to relate to for women. They know what it's like to be put down and thought of as "less than." So they generally don't think making off-color, sexist jokes is funny. Even little jokes that guys see as innocent are actually subtle put-downs. Gay men don't expect us to do things for them like clean up after them. And gay men are not a threat in any way. One thing men don't realize is that when women are out on a date, they are always sort of on guard - especially if they are drinking. Every women I know has at least been the victim of unwanted sexual advances. We don't have to worry about that with gay men. And sexual innuendos are not flattering, they are degrading. Gay men don't make those towards women.

Last edited by CarnivalGal; 10-09-2015 at 02:09 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 03:43 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
In my opinion, Western culture needs to relax the standards on what is considered "effeminate." Straight men should not be afraid of dressing flamboyantly, standing out, showing emotions, having platonic female friends, acting sophisticated, and following any passion they want. Popular culture has straight men filling the role of the loyal yet dumb and sloppy puppy dog; we all know that men are capable of more than that. Maybe if we as a society allowed them the freedom to explore and pursue their passions, even "girly" ones, without judging, maybe we would have a lot less degradation of the female body. Don't you think that one reason men turn to dirty jokes and other forms of "acceptable male behavior" is because they've learned that the alternative charming gentleman who knows about women's interests is unacceptable?

Old 10-09-2015, 03:50 PM

79 posts, read 81,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Not in my book. There is nothing more irritating than a girly man. No, not all gay men are girly, but the ones who want to be friends with women usually are.
Thats what I said to my friends.
I would think gay men are more successful with the platonic friendship with woman.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:11 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,100 times
There is never any kind of pressure whatsoever, and most gay men like to really talk, not just chit-chat. I don't shop, have anything "done" like nails, hair, all that foolishness, but I really enjoy talking about deep issues, and I've known two gay men who quite readily and eagerly shared that kind of communication. It's a more intellectual "spark" than a physical one, though I do find many gay men MUCH better-looking (aesthetically) than straight men. And I adore beauty in all forms. Plus, they never bother me about sex, which is a huge relief. I don't like "dating" after two divorces, believe me!

I liked being around those two, in particular, because were unapologetic and completely open; that helped me shed my own silly inhibitions and let me just be myself. They were both very artistically inclined (two different areas), and I have had a lifelong appreciation for music and words, art, etc.

I just like to dive deeply into subjects and be very silly, as well. I get a little tired of the gray areas of life, and they're just divine that way (only speaking from my own experiences). I miss that kind of relationship very, very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology