Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 03:07 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,693 times

Advertisements

Have you actually gone out and spoke to most people, no wonder some of us like their pets more. Pets usually aren't vindictive pieces of sh*t, and I can't recall my cats getting together behind my back and talking bad about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 06:26 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Depends on the people. Let's be honest, many people suck! Cats and dogs don't cheat on you, spread malicious rumours or cut you off in traffic! Nor do they use up the last of milk and then leave the gallon in the fridge. Or eat all the marshmallows from a box of Lucky Charms or lick off the cream of Oreos. Most importantly though, animals don't hold feelings of racism, homophobia, sexism. Lots of people do.

I would never pick the life of an animal over a good person. Even a flawed person. But a total POS scumbag? Sorry, I pick the turtle! There is a lot of good in humanity, of course, but there's more bad in humanity than is even possible from pets. It wasn't a German shepherd that organised the Third Reich lol We're definitely an odd species.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
For those with a network of human friends and family, and regular social interaction, a dog or cat is a pet. For the anti-social the dogs and cats take the place of the humans and become their "family". Think of the "cat lady", most of us have been aware of one, eventually requiring the local authorities to intervene.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:13 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,041,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I think people who love animals more than humans do so because it's easier. Unconditional love is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot. Who wouldn't want to be loved unconditionally with very little effort?
I don't think anyone who has ever properly cared for their furry friends would say that there is little to no effort involved. Example: Hopefully you never have to pick up your human's friends poo, or ensure they always have water available, or make sure that they are vaccinated or sterilized so that they do not get pregnant. Maybe it's just me, but I've never had to worry much for my human friends who I also love. Furry friends are a lot more work.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:17 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,041,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For those with a network of human friends and family, and regular social interaction, a dog or cat is a pet. For the anti-social the dogs and cats take the place of the humans and become their "family". Think of the "cat lady", most of us have been aware of one, eventually requiring the local authorities to intervene.
Maybe for some, but not all. A lot of us are involved in animal rescue and have a great circle of human friends who all love animals as much as we do. We also have human friends that don't understand how a pet can be more than a pet. Those are the friends we do not ask to house sit for us when we travel. You ask your animal loving friends who "get it" because you know they will love your furry friends as much as you do.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:43 PM

665 posts, read 1,294,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's called loneliness, especially For those without children. Those that I know are rather anti-social people with very few friends, and are not interested in human interaction, so they treat their pets like friends/family. Typically they will have a shrine in their home for a deceased dog, which people rarely do for their human relatives that have passed. I consider it a personality disorder when it gets to the extreme that someone chooses to buy their home based on the suitability of the yard for their 8 year old dog, when the lifespan may only be 10-12 years.
You almost nailed me. Except I have a whole shelf of "shrines" and the yard was for our 2, 12, 12, and 13 yr old dogs.

I think it's funny you've put that much negativity into something that makes someone else happy. Says more about you than it does this anti social animal lover.

You make ugly statements like this and wonder why some people are disgusted with people? Really?

Old 10-20-2015, 01:42 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
You almost nailed me. Except I have a whole shelf of "shrines" and the yard was for our 2, 12, 12, and 13 yr old dogs.

I think it's funny you've put that much negativity into something that makes someone else happy. Says more about you than it does this anti social animal lover.

You make ugly statements like this and wonder why some people are disgusted with people? Really?
Although it's not entirely healthy to seclude yourself and can help maximize depression, I find it so funny that people make statements like that as if it was a bad thing. Look at all those women who stay in abusive relationships just so they won't be alone. Is that better than the other?
Even though sometimes I wish for a kindred spirit, I find that I'm much more lonely in a crowd full of people than with me and my dogs.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:17 PM

25 posts, read 19,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Have you actually gone out and spoke to most people, no wonder some of us like their pets more. Pets usually aren't vindictive pieces of sh*t, and I can't recall my cats getting together behind my back and talking bad about me.
...i remember getting attacked by a Doberman, named "Raw" who i had never met before. The owner lost control of the beast and he went on an attack spry. Fortunately, he had insurance to cover the cost of my hospital visit. I ended up with stitches in my leg and hands (trying to pry his jaw loose from my Thigh). His owner ended up paying a hefty settlement fee (but not enough to compensate me for the terror the Dog inflected on me).

The Bastard Dog was a "trained guard dog" who got loose from a car lot. I happened to be jogging my daily 5 mile run. Well "Raw" (the dogs name as we came to find out in our lawsuit against the Car Lot) was a nice Dog (but not too nice to people). Seems like Raw had done this before and never was addressed properly by the owner of the Car Lot.

"Raw" (nor his owner) never apologized to me or my family for terrorizing and attacking me (for no reason").

Your theory about animals being loving and kind to all beings is totally false. You need to go down to your local animal shelter and see how many "mean dogs" are there because their owners could no longer control them. While most of the dogs at the shelter are nice (i got mine there), many of them are aggressive beasts who are dangerous to families, children and other animals. Some of them are put to sleep right away because of the liability of giving them to a family or person who could be attacked themselves.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

~j

Old 10-20-2015, 08:32 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
My guess....gratitude with no attitude.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:30 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Pets are always there to give you unconditional love. Kids are always whining about something. That's the difference...
I oftentimes wonder if it's unconditional love, or not. How can it be, when dependence is involved?

As far as whining, pets can do this, too, in different ways, they use a different language.

I've got my ferret so addicted to his 2 plates of mashed bananas and watermelon everyday, and if I neglect that "duty", he tells me about it. If I wait long enough, he'll make a racket in the house like you wouldn't believe! Or he'll just lie there on the floor, staring up at me, making me feel so guilty I wish I were dead!

I've also got him addicted to his nightly leashed walks in the neighborhood, and he now expects that, every night. Starting around midnite, he'll first make a pass at me sitting at my computer, brushing himself against my feet. Then lie down next to my computer chair, hoping I'll snatch a look at him, and all I have to do is view that cute face, his dejected look, and I grab the leash and away we go!

My last ferret, I used to walk him down on the Las Vegas Strip, and he got addicted to that, and soured on the idea of walking in our neighborhood, not exciting enough, like riding the outdoor escalators or the moving sidewalks at the Venetian or the attention paid to him by the tourists.

I could sense the game playing. We'd take a walk and, before long, he'd start veering back to the house. Yup! I know what he wanted! Grab the car keys, head down to the Las Vegas Strip! A ferret's way saying how happy they are is to shake their whole body, and as I put him into the car, shake-shake-shake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology