Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:30 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,211 times

Advertisements

This can be and is a broad subject - One can list a multitude of reasons, motivations and proclivities as well as aims intentions, objectives, or what ever one wants to call it, and the list would still become endless.

Therefore, in generalizations - Choosing one word which is loaded with content.

"Vanity" !!!! but, equally so, remember there is also the component of realism within the slant toward homo/bi- sexual tendencies which is wide spread when vanity dominates. As is the many other links and interlinks which become visible and present, whether it relates to money, popularity and a host of other variables which can become conditions and vices.

Often times it take women many years to learn to live beyond this cycle, some do and some don't. when women learn to manage the Vanity Monster, rather than the Monster of Vanity managing them, then they become capable and able to make friends based on the character of individuals, more than the vanity make up of fictions within imagery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 09:46 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,167,247 times
Without reading the article, I thought this, which, was at the end of the article

"Maybe we actually look more attractive among friends not solely because of complementary bone structures, but because we're happier."

If you go out with friends, chances are you are laughing, having a good time, letting your inhibitions down a bit, and, most importantly, smiling!

By yourself, or with another person, chances are less of that.

As far as attractiveness, it really has to do with the circles you ran in and run in. As a couple posters noted, this tends to start at a young age in school, and keeps on keeping on. Your friends tend to be people you have met either at school, work, dating, hobbies, or via other friends.. so, people with the same lifestyle are going to naturally flock to each other.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:53 AM

6 posts, read 7,593 times
i can give you a Truer answer to that, ....the world is not as ROSEY and as Diversely Bonding as you may think it to be. Unfortunately women get tired of finding themselves the VICTIM of jealousy. befriending people of all looks and features is just human nature to do, you try so hard NOT to discriminate on LOOKS in making friendships. ....but the countless jealous backstabbing deep-seated hatred from certain type of people have made a decission for most woman that is just SAFER. befriending like-attractive people, so it LESSENS that deep-seeded jealousy actions from being in your life and around you. (sad to say, ...but its just 100% truth

Old 11-04-2015, 10:07 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,882 times
As a former cheerleader, yes I know it is hard to believe but I was one all through school, we tended to hang out with each other because that is who we spent the most time with. Cheerleaders have practice every day, classes, camps, games, etc, and they do all of these things as a group. Of course, they grow close to each other. Usually, cheerleaders are fit and do tend to care about how they look. Whether they are hot or not, they seem to know how to make the most of what they have. These friendships grow out of proximity, and many of them continue for life. I did not go out for cheerleader for college because I knew I would not have time. Also, just to blow the stereotype, I am blonde and attended college on an academic scholarship as did most of my cheerleading friends. We are not all vain and vapid just because we enjoyed an activity that enabled us to be part of something, support our school, and travel with the team.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:52 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Beauty attracts beauty.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:00 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
I thought I heard somehwere that pretty women like to hang out with ugly women so they seem prettier?

I just googled it and found tons of threads.

I have pretty and not so pretty friends. Don't care how they look like as long as we like each other.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
What I really love is that intelligent women tend to hang out with other intelligent women. Put most men in a group of intelligent women and they get intimidated, which means I can hang with a bunch of smart women and have virtually no competition. Of those intelligent women, a surprising number are physically gorgeous. When I was working at a research university I was astonished at the beauty of the women working in lab coats and goggles, while the grad students all chased the blonde in the cafeteria.

I married one of those intelligent women 30 years ago. One thing you learn over time is that beauty fades, but a beautiful mind lasts much longer. We can discuss art, literature, politics, technology and brainstorm problems together all the time. Plus, she still hangs out with other intelligent women, some of whom are gorgeous. Not long ago one of her friends was a house guest, a lawyer with her own practice who is astonishingly beautiful. She is also fun to hang with and has lots of interesting things to say. Yes, some of my wife's friends are nondescript little mud hens, but they all have great minds. 30 years down the road, my stud muffin days are far behind me too, so I'm lucky they judge me on content rather than packaging.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:03 PM

8,046 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
OK, I really don't get this. Why does it seem that the overwhelming majority of physically attractive women ONLY hang out with other attractive women, and not a mix of ALL types??
Attractive people tend to have things in common with each other. They are probably physically fit, enjoy dancing, hiking, canoeing, etc. that unattractive (overweight) people can't or don't enjoy.

Attractive people also make more money than ugly people, so they have that in common. Did you go to the hot new restaurant? (A. Yes, it was fabulous! B. No, I can't afford it!) We just got back from France (A. Cool, we're going next year! B. Wow, must be nice.)

Et cetera.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Beauty attracts beauty.
Beauty attracts beasts. For proof, watch The View.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:54 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
OK, I really don't get this. Why does it seem that the overwhelming majority of physically attractive women ONLY hang out with other attractive women, and not a mix of ALL types??

I'm not talking about them hanging out with sisters, cousins or other blood relatives where it would genetically be normal for attractive genes, but I'm talking about friends that are NOT related by blood.

It seems as if this is a conscious decision to exclude even average looking women, otherwise I know I would see a much broader mix with 1/3 unattractive, 1/3 average, and another 1/3 attractive, but a swear its skewed 95/5.

Its bad enough that so many of them treat men like 2nd class citizens, but I am wondering if they are equally snubbing their nose at other women even who might have not been as lucky to be dealt a good hand when they were born.

I can't imagine that this is random, and that there is a 90% chance this is more sinister that random, but prove me wrong with facts.

Bottom line is I think that this is MORE wrong that only hanging out with peers of a similar socio-economic class or educational attainment level. At least you have the chance in the USA to go from being poor to being rich if you work hard and smart, but you can't naturally alter the way you look.
This is more true of younger women. Teens and early 20s, when "birds of a feather" tend to flock into cliques with strict membership "rules". If you're a goth, you hang with the other goths. Hipsters stick with hipsters. Skinny chicks wearing designer clothes only eat lunch with other skinny chicks wearing designer clothes. Etc.

This changes later in life. People grow up, get jobs, get different hobbies, move into different neighbourhoods or different cities. They just start meeting different people and they expand their social network.

Just adding: people with higher incomes tend to spend more money on themselves, and this shows in their wardrobes, their hairstyles, their gym memberships, and so on. This might influence what you're seeing too... but there are plenty of people with money who aren't stunners too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology