Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 08:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Not disagreeing, with respect... just a different take.

I get the word 'wired' personally.
Programmed, greatly influenced, manipulated and brainwashed to act and believe things..whatever.
I was wired in certain ways myself!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I grew up in a negative environment and have been wired to be pessimistic. I wake up in self doubt every morning. People tell me I'm a devil's advocate. It's good to question and think differently but my negativity acts more as a block than something that propels me forward. I want to change this attitude. Any recs on books for this? I'm working on being more mindful and noting when I get negative but I'm not sure what to do after I notice it...
Try to get some therapy. I had similar experiences growing up so I had to read a lot of self-help books to get over the trauma. Here are few recommendations:

The Four Agreements Toltec Wisdom
by don Miguel Ruiz

48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene

The Secret by Rhonda Byrnes

Old 11-20-2015, 09:30 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
I'm a little surprised at all the "new age" hokey advice in this thread.

Abraham-Hicks? The Secret?

That'll do the OP more harm than good.

OP,

I tried therapy and it worked - cognitive behavioral therapy, to be specific.

A large part of this is just noticing what you are doing. Trust me, we perform so many actions on autopilot.

It will take a long time and daily action.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:02 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
How our brains are wired:

How Your Brain Is Wired Reveals the Real You - Scientific American

Old 11-20-2015, 03:08 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Watch Super Soul Sunday on Oprah's network (OWN). During the show, there's so much spiritual teaching along with self-help book recommendations.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:14 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
When you realize the creator of the earth loves no one in the world more than He loves you.... in fact he wants to have a personal relationship with you and has given His life so you don't have to pay for your own sins - just to have you with him in paradise for eternity.... The good news of the gospel is too wonderful to stay down. You should look into it.

On another note, when I get off my SAMe I tend to feel grouchy and negative so I do keep my supplements up to give my body every chance I can. Physical exercise is another great way to feel better and get your mind where it should be. Nothing like running outside in the beautiful nature of this world.... Even running through neighborhoods, you can see how people keep their yards, paint their homes, decorate....

Old 11-21-2015, 07:28 AM

203 posts, read 321,489 times
Quote:
I grew up in a negative environment and have been wired to be pessimistic. I wake up in self doubt every morning. People tell me I'm a devil's advocate. It's good to question and think differently but my negativity acts more as a block than something that propels me forward. I want to change this attitude. Any recs on books for this? I'm working on being more mindful and noting when I get negative but I'm not sure what to do after I notice it...
There is a former psychologist that I found by chance on line when I was looking for info on people with Borderline and Narcissistic Traits. Her name is Shari Schreiber. This lady's articles and knowledge are impressive. She is very straightforward and doesn't mince words (which I personally like) and I've found the info on her site to be very psychologically astute. Her directness may not suit everyone, but I recommend her page whenever I can. There is a lot there about how one's programming by their parents can wreak havoc on your life or other's lives through you.

I subscribe to her tweets and read them everyday. I don't use twitter for anything else! lol

GettinBetter.com's Articles

Old 11-21-2015, 09:02 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The key wording in the OPs posting is "wired"...and that's the issue that needs to be reversed. It can be done, but it takes diligence, patience, and working with someone who is highly skilled to teach you how to do it. I wish I could say which therapist/counselor, etc., that would be the most effective.

Our brains are wired from the time we're young according to our environment and the people we're around the most.
Agree. i grew up in the same environment. I've tried a lot of different things, but nothing has stuck for me. I've read a lot of books and done CBT, but still struggling with the same issue.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:09 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
be thankful...every morning say aloud 5 things you are thankful for

sarcasm, dismissiveness. cynicism.... all an attitude...

watch a toddler....go from doing one thing to another,,,,one task could be total wonderment and curiosity
we've lost that along the way due to the heavy weight of negativity..

most people are clumpers,,,they clump all he bad stuff together in one big ball of crap and carry that around all day ...and its heavy,,,too heavy and scary to look head on..
so

you've got to break that big clump down in pieces and hit it head on,,,then eliminate it,,,thats how you get rid of it..

its easy being sarcastic and pessimist...... takes just a little more effort to be an optimist but the reward is ten fold.....be enthusiastic.... find that wonderment and curiosity again... its still there..

no one else controls your emotions,,,so snap to it

Old 11-22-2015, 03:14 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Move on to something else until you can tackle that other issue with another point-of-view. If you are having a discussion with a group of people and you notice your negativity, stay quiet until the subject has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology