Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:37 AM

18,762 posts, read 11,757,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
That is certainly a possibility. I like living alone. I even get tired when guests stay to long. People are just raised with family values, get married raise a family... I mean these are social norms across the world.

Social norms are guide lines dear one, not absolute. The bottom line is are you happy with yourself or do you feel like something's missing? If you're content let it be, if not, find a way to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:38 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,891,819 times
Quote:
I have been postponing having children. I was postponing marriage as well. The thing is that there is no more time left to postpone.

If I am to have children I need to figure it out soon. If I wait for the right girl to come around I will be 80 by then, so need to do something more proactive I suppose.
Ack! Don't have kids.

Why would someone who doesn't really like people want to have kids?

If you already don't like people, several years with kids is going to make you hate everyone.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 PM

237 posts, read 223,987 times
Quote:
That is certainly a possibility. I like living alone. I even get tired when guests stay to long. People are just raised with family values, get married raise a family... I mean these are social norms across the world.
Plenty of people in the world do not get married or have kids, and they go on to have happy satisfied lives.
If you find even guests hard to tolerate then don't have kids, because they will be permanent residents. You will never ever be truly alone again. They also make lots of noise and mess. Your life will have to revolve around their needs instead of your own.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:54 PM

318 posts, read 371,589 times
Quote:
I am not unhappy, I am happy, don't think I am depressed. I only started this thread because i recently turned 39, if there is a family in my future, I don't have much time to mess around, have to use this year to figure out my situation, because i am going to end up an odd, lonely old man pretty soon, if i don't figure it out.
So, you LIKE being alone. LIKE living alone. Other then occasional sex, you do not want a relationship. Guests staying at your home make you want solitude back And, somehow one day you are worried that you'll suddenly feel lonely? Who planted that seed in your head?

The only problem here is the idea to go obtain something you don't want. Visit a nursing home, lots of people who did get married and have children die all alone, without visits. Kids don't mean that they'll stand by your side through thick and thin.

Work hard, save enough money for the future that you can handle your care in the manner you prefer during your elder years and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology