Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 12:47 PM

539 posts, read 523,542 times

Advertisements

Kids are cool, but I hate parents babying everything in culture because "think of the kids!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 01:11 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
This is my perspective. I was once a kid. If I was a kid and an adult said in front of me "I don't like kids", it would break my heart. Being 29 years old, I think "whatever" whenever I hear "I don't like kids". If said person saying it is a parent, I usually look at that person with disgust. My position being "you're a parent, if you don't like kids, why do you have kids"?

I don't have kids. I can't see myself having kids. Sometimes when I go to places and I see little kids misbehaving in public, my first thoughts are "this is why I don't have kids. Too much stupid behavior to deal with". I don't have a hatred for kids. I just don't have patience to deal with kids.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:35 PM

76 posts, read 102,014 times
I'm not going to say that I will never have kids, I don't know what will happen in the future... but if I do never have any, I won't be upset. The presence of children and the thought of me having them has never excited me. I'll be honest: I get more excited about someone's new puppy than someone's new baby!

Old 11-14-2015, 01:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is my perspective. I was once a kid. If I was a kid and an adult said in front of me "I don't like kids", it would break my heart. Being 29 years old, I think "whatever" whenever I hear "I don't like kids". If said person saying it is a parent, I usually look at that person with disgust. My position being "you're a parent, if you don't like kids, why do you have kids"?
I hear from my mother at least once a week that she's hates kids and my response is always hiiiiiiiiii....do you know who you're talking to? And she always says well I do hate children. Ummm thanks! For several years it was a very hard thing to hear, but now I'm like she's a nutjob. She's got mental issues for real and now a bunch of health issues....and she keeps telling me she's moving with me and I keep telling I'm moving out if she moves in so good luck with that! The one who hates kids had 3 of them and she expects us all to take care of her as an old lady.....not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNgal View Post
I'll be honest: I get more excited about someone's new puppy than someone's new baby!
Who can resist a puppy? I'm the dork you see talking to every dog on out on a walk. Yup, that's me. My neighbors give me updates on their dogs....not their kids!

Old 11-14-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNgal View Post
I'm not going to say that I will never have kids, I don't know what will happen in the future... but if I do never have any, I won't be upset. The presence of children and the thought of me having them has never excited me. I'll be honest: I get more excited about someone's new puppy than someone's new baby!
Much of this mirrors how I feel, for the most part. I sometimes imagine what it would be like if I had kids. However, If I don't have kids, it won't upset me.

Now, the dog, I don't get excited about dogs. I can definitely say I am not fond of dogs for the most part.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I hear from my mother at least once a week that she's hates kids and my response is always hiiiiiiiiii....do you know who you're talking to? And she always says well I do hate children. Ummm thanks! For several years it was a very hard thing to hear, but now I'm like she's a nutjob. She's got mental issues for real and now a bunch of health issues....and she keeps telling me she's moving with me and I keep telling I'm moving out if she moves in so good luck with that! The one who hates kids had 3 of them and she expects us all to take care of her as an old lady.....not happening.
Mental issues indeed. Saying one hates kids, but then wants to live off of them. There isn't much I could add to that other than crazy.

Quote:
Who can resist a puppy? I'm the dork you see talking to every dog on out on a walk. Yup, that's me. My neighbors give me updates on their dogs....not their kids!
Actually, I can resist a dog. I avoid dogs for the most part. I like cats, but I would never have them for pets. I lived with a roommate who had a cat. Cat dander everywhere, and they can get smelly.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:48 PM

607 posts, read 602,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
no, me neither, I don't understand them and I cant relate to them, which is strange because I was one once. mind you it isn't just kids, adults get on my nerves too!!
Same here. I don't like kids--of course there's nothing wrong with you, OP. I know other people who don't like kids. Totally normal. The only kids I like are my nieces/nephews, and even then, they have the ability to get on my nerves real quick.

I don't like kids for a lot of reasons--how needy/helpless they are (I'm childfree and I could NEVER deal with a child who needed me 24/7--the thought makes me shudder). I don't relate to kids whatsoever, and when they cry over stupid crap it makes me mad because they have no perspective and don't truly know what real pain/heartache is; their crying and throwing fits over not getting a certain toy, for example, just enrages me. I realize none of this is their fault, really, but it doesn't make it any less aggravating and annoying to me. Ugh. I try to stay as far away from children as possible.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:51 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
What I don't understand is this though: On other threads I've seen people with utter contempt not just for children but for people who decide to have children too. Why so much hatred? Why would it bother someone so much that they would feel hate towards children and parents?
I think some of it is a defense mechanism. As a childless person, you are often told that your feelings aren't valid or that "you'll change your mind." You're often talked to as if you don't understand life because you don't have kids. And a lot of things are very child-centered, probably more so than your average parent realizes.

These things can cause you to kind of lash back or even to feel a little bit resentful toward parents.

I'm not saying that it's right, but I do think it might be the answer to your question.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:58 PM

607 posts, read 602,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I don't like being around them because it's exhausting, draining, a huge bore, they cost money and time, and I'm not interested in communicating with them. I don't want to be near them in a restaurant or an airplane because of the energy they generate and scatter around -- unfortunately, I very easily pick up and take on that energy, which is very wearing.

I've even had to avoid and/or cease relationships with men who have small children; I just can't deal with it.
Agreed 100000%! I could never date someone with kids. I'm sure I would take a backseat to their children, which is totally understandable, but I wouldn't like it and I'd resent both them and the kids. My future partner will be childfree, like me.

BTW, the proper term is "childfree," NOT "childless," when you choose to not have children. Being childless indicates you're missing something. For us childfree people, we are not missing anything--therefore childless is most definitely not the correct term. Just a personal pet peeve.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:59 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I don't like kids...

is there something wrong with me?

I don't want anything bad to happen to kids. In fact, when I hear about tragedies that involve children, I get more upset than if similar things were to happen to adults. My issue isn't that I don't CARE about children, because I do.

What I mean, though, is that I find kids to be annoying. A huge time-suck. A big waste of energy. And I just feel awkward and weird around them. The stuff they care about is nonsensical. When they talk, it's a strain to understand them.

(By the way, I'm 27 years old, have lived with my now-husband for 6 years, have been married for a year, make a comfortable income on my own...just so no one says I'm young and will "grow into it")

It's cool seeing a pic of my cousin's kid on Facebook when she's looking cute, but when she's around me, I would prefer that she interact with other family members.

I really don't like being around children and definitely don't want kids of my own....

Am I weird?
That's actually not weird. I'm much more weird than that. I don't like kids either (and I think babies are so ugly!!! but I also think it looks awful when a guy I admire shaves/buzzes his head so I have an aversion to lacking hair. I've only seen one in my whole life that I think is semi cute and that was my fav musician as a baby) but I trust them more than adults. I find that adults are cruel. Kids can be cruel but they don't know better. I don't know I don't like people in general (which is why I'm more of an animal lover) but I seem to find kids easier to ignore. As long as they're not crying I'm alright. Sometimes they will ask you irritating questions but I was very inquisitive as a kid too so I just kinda let it go. I guess as I said in another thread once if I had to say an age that I would be comfortable with is teenagers because they're more the best of both stages of life as long as they're not one of those psycho fangirls.

I still think I might have kids of my own with the right person but that's not likely to happen since I fall for people I can't have and you don't have to have kids.

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-14-2015 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology