Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 04:18 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,060,755 times

Advertisements

When I had my daughter, a good friend of 15 years only came to see us a couple of times - then didn't speak to me ever again. Was I too assume that she just didn't like children?

Well, the fact is, I'd known her so long that when we were younger she would talk about how she would meet a nice man and settle down and have a family. It never happened for her (and she is still single and child free now, as far as I know).

I could only assume that she did not like that I had progressed in my life, and that she had not. Me and my child were probably a reminder of something that she didn't have but wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 05:33 PM

84 posts, read 71,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
How does the landlord get more money if there are more people in the rental unit? If the 1BR rents for say $1000/mo, that's the rent, no matter who lives there.

Can't understand how it's so difficult for you to find an apartment in a building without families. I've rented or lived in condos for 20 years, including high-rises, and I've never been near anyone with kids. Pick your neighbourhood more strategically, and it can be done. If there are no schools nearby, there likely won't be any kids in the apartment building. Easy peasy.
The last two buildings I've lived in have been exclusively 1 BR floorplans. That should have cut down on the possibility of having to deal with kids, right? NOPE. Couples and two or three kids crammed into 1 BR apartments. That's life in the big city. They're next door, they're outside... running around, screaming, and generally being a nuisance.

There is no way to "strategically" choose buildings with no kids... how would you find out who lived in every single apartment in a large building? And how would you predict whether any of the women would get pregnant? Your assumption is that your experience--which is pure chance--is the norm just because it's yours. And BTW, no schools doesn't mean no kids. That is the most laughably ignorant hypothesis I've heard in some time.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:40 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,876 times
Quote:
I'm seeing a pattern among certain child free folks (not all, by any means, but certainly some of them)... they seem to go to great lengths to show how Society is giving them a hard time for their lifestyle choice. I don't see it happening, in any objective sense. To give an example, years ago on a child free forum, I saw a poster complaining at length about school kids walking across her front lawn... she and her childfree husband bought a house directly across the street from a busy elementary school. How much sense does that make? Gave her something to complain about, I guess. Total victim mentality.
It doesn't matter that they live right across the street from an elementary school. If they don't want people walking on their property, they shouldn't have to deal with it. In fact, it's even understandable that they don't want kids walking on their property because they could be held liable if one of them get hurt.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I can see how that is annoying for you, but by talking like that you will come across as bitter and jealous by people who have children that they love.
Not following your logic. Why do you assume that everyone who doesn't like a certain thing is "jealous"? Are you 15 or something? "You're just jealous!!!" No, we simply do not like children. If we liked them, we'd have them. I am only "jealous" of things I cannot have or cannot do/be. Not using birth control isn't an accomplishment to be jealous of... it would be easy to do if I wanted to. I don't want to. So what am I jealous of??

Stop thinking that your personal preferences make you the envy of everyone else. It makes YOU come across as arrogant, self-centered, and more than a little silly. You gave birth. So does your average cockroach, several times a year. It's not exactly hard. Why are you taking bows for doing something millions of animals do every day without even trying? And why do you think that my life should be inconvenienced because YOU wanted children?

I don't like cats. Does that mean I'm "jealous" of people who have cats?

Old 11-14-2015, 05:50 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,041 times
It's not bad to feel that way. It's only bad when you put yourself in a situation where there are kids around and you choose to be mean to them. My brother was like that and he just should have stayed away.

If you get to the point that you can't stand being around them, remove yourself from the equation and don't attend functions with kids.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
It doesn't matter that they live right across the street from an elementary school. If they don't want people walking on their property, they shouldn't have to deal with it. In fact, it's even understandable that they don't want kids walking on their property because they could be held liable if one of them get hurt.
Agreed. As a matter of fact, it's the ENTITLEMENT mentality of people with children that is the real issue here. They think we all should suffer the consequences of their choice not to use a condom. Your kid... your problem. Don't make it mine, and then tell me I should learn to deal with it. NO. My property is my property, and your kid/dog/whatever needs to stay off it. Period.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:17 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,854,983 times
Quote:
How does the landlord get more money if there are more people in the rental unit? If the 1BR rents for say $1000/mo, that's the rent, no matter who lives there.

Can't understand how it's so difficult for you to find an apartment in a building without families. I've rented or lived in condos for 20 years, including high-rises, and I've never been near anyone with kids. Pick your neighbourhood more strategically, and it can be done. If there are no schools nearby, there likely won't be any kids in the apartment building. Easy peasy.
Stay in ottawa. NYC, brooklyn in particular, has become a giant crap fest of babyville and it's barfy and many people HATE it. It's easy btw, because two professionals in a one bedroom = MORE money. And their skin yacht? Ugh

Old 11-14-2015, 06:46 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,060,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaNYC View Post
Not following your logic. Why do you assume that everyone who doesn't like a certain thing is "jealous"? Are you 15 or something? "You're just jealous!!!" No, we simply do not like children. If we liked them, we'd have them. I am only "jealous" of things I cannot have or cannot do/be. Not using birth control isn't an accomplishment to be jealous of... it would be easy to do if I wanted to. I don't want to. So what am I jealous of??

Stop thinking that your personal preferences make you the envy of everyone else. It makes YOU come across as arrogant, self-centered, and more than a little silly. You gave birth. So does your average cockroach, several times a year. It's not exactly hard. Why are you taking bows for doing something millions of animals do every day without even trying? And why do you think that my life should be inconvenienced because YOU wanted children?

I don't like cats. Does that mean I'm "jealous" of people who have cats?
...and you have just proved my point, that I made on post #29:

"What I don't understand is this though: On other threads I've seen people with utter contempt not just for children but for people who decide to have children too. Why so much hatred? Why would it bother someone so much that they would feel hate towards children and parents?"

By the way, it was actually hard giving birth.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
And their skin yacht? Ugh
What does this even mean?

Old 11-14-2015, 07:02 PM

325 posts, read 336,709 times
I was once with my sister and her former boyfriend at a restaurant; as we sit next to a group of loud, undisciplined kids, we moved away from them and their dad, sitting nearby with another adult, didn't do anything about controlling the kids behavior, nor did he seemed to get the message when he probably saw us moved away. The kids were throwing things at each other and even spitting their saliva.

I have chosen not to have kids myself as they require too much care. I know, it sounds a little harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology