Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:29 AM

369 posts, read 374,711 times

Advertisements

Some suggest that life is what you make it or, better stated, life is as good as one perceives it to be.

So how can one feel good about being a nobody? If it seems that they just can't become a respected somebody, how can one train themselves to enjoy being a nobody? What are the benefits of being someone relatively unknown without reputation whatsoever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:35 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
You're your own boss. No need to set money aside for upcoming weddings, baby/bridal showers, birthday celebrations etc. No having to deal with drama and b.s. that comes with relationships

Old 11-16-2015, 01:16 PM

714 posts, read 747,700 times
Your actions and decisions won't require constant scrutiny and second-guessing.

No one cares about your mistakes/shortcomings, except those close to you.

Your family will be left alone.

Do something stupid? For the most part no one will care.

Do something awesome/smart? That's just who you are, no need to troll for attention.

I'd take the unknown life over being a "respected somebody" in most cases, as long as the nobody has the means (money, whatever) to get by long term. It was funny... when I was growing up I always wanted to be a pro athlete, but I'd always get thinking of other careers when I considered always having to talk to the press, having minor mistakes blown out of proportion, etc...

Old 11-16-2015, 01:39 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
Your actions and decisions won't require constant scrutiny and second-guessing.

No one cares about your mistakes/shortcomings, except those close to you.

Your family will be left alone.

Do something stupid? For the most part no one will care.

Do something awesome/smart? That's just who you are, no need to troll for attention.

I'd take the unknown life over being a "respected somebody" in most cases, as long as the nobody has the means (money, whatever) to get by long term. It was funny... when I was growing up I always wanted to be a pro athlete, but I'd always get thinking of other careers when I considered always having to talk to the press, having minor mistakes blown out of proportion, etc...

When I was a kid I wanted to be an actress but in being so boy crazy I realize that I have to be careful with that because I look at the male celebs I was or am into and I think "omg how do they do it".
Of course I still dream about it because I love the profession and it would be easier to meet those that I admire but I would only want to be a B list or C list. I'd try to be careful to not blow up.

That's what I have trouble with. Being a nobody is fine when you have a job but if you don't have one how do you accept being a nobody? Unfortunately it seems even with regular jobs you have to stand out so you can't be a nobody then.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:30 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
In a universal sense, we're all nobodies. We will all die one day and be nothing but ashes. People with money, fame, etc. only has it for a short time. Placing too much importance on those things will only get you down.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:26 AM

16 posts, read 21,008 times
What is the upside of being somebody? I don't get this... kids are shooting up schools these days because they want to be "somebody". What is this obsession with fame and attention people have? If you have an interest or creative hobby you want to get recognized for that's one thing.. but wanting to be "somebody" just in general is kind of obnoctious.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:05 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
You're a low maintainance person since your ego won't make you buy things that you don't need to impress other people who really don't care about you in the first place.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:13 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Anonymity. It's a beautiful thing.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:52 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times
There are plenty of upsides to being a "nobody." As long as you're always a law-abiding citizen, you can do whatever you please, and no one will ever gossip or care one way or another.

As a bonus, for "nobodies" who also happen to have the same name as a celebrity, or any common name like John Smith, there's less possibility of people finding you on a search engine.

You can live under the radar, relatively undisturbed & unencumbered.

But if your soul yearns for drama & excitement & infamy, then get busy & make some changes!

Old 11-17-2015, 03:12 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
The upside.... You don't have to reply to too many posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology