Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 11:34 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Narcissism: Perspectives - Vol. 6, No. 1 - A Primer on Narcissism - Page 1 of 3 and https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/nar...tion-and-love/

So, what did OP get a degree in? I think that is the key that is missing here or at least it would be a place to start thinking about where the future might lie.

OP get any job and start establishing a work history. Having been basically unemployed for the length of time that you have will make it very hard to get a really desirable job. Most employers are looking for someone that shows a desire to work and they'll want to know what you have been doing for the last 18 months.

These articles might help: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ology-laziness and https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...auses-laziness and http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Laziness
You did after all call yourself a "slacker".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 01:03 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,244 times
I'm not sure how to post link with my iPad, but I'm going to include this information on your thread because your thread will be read by people looking for information on Narcissist Personality Disorder. Even if they don't realize, yet, that they are looking for information on NPD.

The book "Malignent Self Love" by Sam Vaknin is THE BIBLE on NPD.

Vaknin is a Narcissist.

He has a website, you tube videos, and other books on the issues surrounding NPD, including information about/for victims of Narcissistic Abuse.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:32 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
There is an interesting dichotomy here. You had the confidence to make and release a music CD, yet you say you have low self esteem. Very few people have the confidence to make themselves so vulnerable as to actually make a CD. That is a huge risk and you took it.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:56 PM

65 posts, read 56,454 times
:::sniff sniff::: I smell a troll

Old 11-22-2015, 06:00 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
"Grandiosity" lol.

What you suffer from is being in your early 20s in a culture that mainly values fame, stardom, and success in glamour, creative fields.

My Rx for that is about 10-15 years of adulthood, taken straight. Get a job, have a relationship, and discover the little day to day satisfactions as one of millions of us regular non famous folk. It's not so bad.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:06 AM

427 posts, read 500,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Narcissism: Perspectives - Vol. 6, No. 1 - A Primer on Narcissism - Page 1 of 3 and https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/nar...tion-and-love/

So, what did OP get a degree in? I think that is the key that is missing here or at least it would be a place to start thinking about where the future might lie.

OP get any job and start establishing a work history. Having been basically unemployed for the length of time that you have will make it very hard to get a really desirable job. Most employers are looking for someone that shows a desire to work and they'll want to know what you have been doing for the last 18 months.

These articles might help: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ology-laziness and https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...auses-laziness and http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Laziness
You did after all call yourself a "slacker".
I majored in Art History in college. I liked my major but probably should have pursued something else during that time. Yes, it's true I have little desire to work a conventional job beyond the financial necessity of doing so. I also have such a negative view of myself it is hard to sell myself, and have little in the way of experience or achievements to point to. I really will have to just make up a story as to why I have this long resume gap, since I mainly have been half heartedly looking for jobs or travelling around the country alone with no real purpose.

Thanks for the links, but I know my fear of failure is mostly to blame for my laziness.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 11-23-2015 at 02:31 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 AM

590 posts, read 714,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I majored in Art History in college. I liked my major but probably should have pursued something else during that time. Yes, it's true I have little desire to work a conventional job beyond the financial necessity of doing so. I also have such a negative view of myself it is hard to sell myself, and have little in the way of experience or achievements to point to. I really will have to just make up a story as to why I have this long resume gap, since I mainly have been half heartedly looking for jobs or travelling around the country alone with no real purpose.

Thanks for the links, but I know my fear of failure is mostly to blame for my laziness.

OP, I have read this entire thread and I find your "illness" to be quite the common "illness" in many young people, including myself. I am 28 years old. In the not so distant past, I thought I was going to be a professional motocross racer because I was good at riding. I also thought that somehow I was going to come into a bunch of money magically and start my own business and never really have to "work". Somewhere, somehow I woke up and smelt the coffee and realized I have to start at the bottom just like everyone else. I wasn't born into money as so many people on TV and in magazines seem to be. I came from a poor family that came from a poor family that immigrated here form Europe in about 1890...

Fast forward to today and I am doing well for myself. I am married and have 3 great kids a house a mortgage and decent cars etc. I have accepted the fact that I will have to work for the rest of my life to live decently.

What I highlighted in bold is something I am studying off and on during my free time. I want to know why this is the case with so many Millenialls. At least the OP is realizing it now rather then at age 40 when they've spent half their life living off of subsidized services as so many millennials are destined to do. Really though the fact that your beginning to come to terms with reality speaks leaps and bounds about you. Take it and run with it OP. Many people go through life hoping that they will win big somehow or something. My aunt is a narcissist, she's 45 years old, has no teeth, has barely enough money to buy smokes and gas for her dilapidated car. She says she dating a "millionaire" when in fact he is just a regular guy who inherited his fathers auto repair business. If the business were to be sold and all assets liquidated, he may have a million dollars, that is, before he pays what it owed on back taxes. I spoke with him and he told me. But in her mind she's got it made, a delusion for sure. The fact that you realize your delusional is great! Your on the path to greatness already you just dont know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology