Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:02 AM

124 posts, read 123,787 times

Advertisements

Ever since I started college, I never really had full control of what I wanted to do with myself. I always felt that I was artistic (helped got me through depression in high school) and a piece I made then was in an art show and someone actually wanted to buy it from me. In college, all of that changed where I was forced to abandon anything artistic (my mother threatened to kick me out). I didn't really have a plan at the time and stuck with an English major trying to get into marketing with a couple internships, but that passion fizzled after a year of not finding a job and going through another depression cycle.

I already knew things were bad when I woke up this morning crying to go to a job I absolutely hate with a company I hate and I have been in my current position for a year. There was a time when my boyfriend and I went out and I was trying to find a Mardi Gras mask for a party and a woman was trying to find one and she was asking for my suggestions. She eventually picked one and I asked my boyfriend if I could be a good salesmen, and he said no. I kind of felt bad about it but I never wanted to get into sales anyway.

Just recently, an old friend visited home while being on break from college in Florida and he's basically a sales rep selling website design and services to businesses. He made a potential job offer to me. All of a sudden my boyfriend was acting really excited about it just because of the money involved though I never showed any interests in doing sales. Then, I reminded him of what he said that I wouldn't of been a good salesmen like he forgot that conversation and that it did make me feel self conscious.

There was another avenue I thought about taking. A weatherization technician and there is a program in my city for this. I was always interested in the green field but it was a chance to get my foot in the door in the industry. I actually had a chance to be entered into the program (stipend after 6 months and an educational award). Both my mother and my boyfriend were trying to talk me out of it. My mom saying I was just "reaching for something" and my bf describing the job like a nightmare as if I wasn't already informed about what it's about. Ultimately, I didn't do it since I felt so much pressure.

For the longest time, I have felt pressure everywhere with people telling me what to do, but I haven't been happy at all. They do what they do and I never pressure them to do something else and always encouraged their own goals. Why is it the total opposite for me?

Old 11-30-2015, 10:06 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
First of all, I think this should be in the psychology forum...it's more related to your feelings of unhappiness than it is to "work and employment", although your job and career choices have put you in this situation.

Second, never listen to anyone else about what you should or shouldn't do. Do what you want to do. If you are successful, great, if not, then you have learned something else about yourself.

Good luck.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:12 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboobam View Post
Ever since I started college, I never really had full control of what I wanted to do with myself. I always felt that I was artistic (helped got me through depression in high school) and a piece I made then was in an art show and someone actually wanted to buy it from me. In college, all of that changed where I was forced to abandon anything artistic (my mother threatened to kick me out). I didn't really have a plan at the time and stuck with an English major trying to get into marketing with a couple internships, but that passion fizzled after a year of not finding a job and going through another depression cycle.

I already knew things were bad when I woke up this morning crying to go to a job I absolutely hate with a company I hate and I have been in my current position for a year. There was a time when my boyfriend and I went out and I was trying to find a Mardi Gras mask for a party and a woman was trying to find one and she was asking for my suggestions. She eventually picked one and I asked my boyfriend if I could be a good salesmen, and he said no. I kind of felt bad about it but I never wanted to get into sales anyway.

Just recently, an old friend visited home while being on break from college in Florida and he's basically a sales rep selling website design and services to businesses. He made a potential job offer to me. All of a sudden my boyfriend was acting really excited about it just because of the money involved though I never showed any interests in doing sales. Then, I reminded him of what he said that I wouldn't of been a good salesmen like he forgot that conversation and that it did make me feel self conscious.

There was another avenue I thought about taking. A weatherization technician and there is a program in my city for this. I was always interested in the green field but it was a chance to get my foot in the door in the industry. I actually had a chance to be entered into the program (stipend after 6 months and an educational award). Both my mother and my boyfriend were trying to talk me out of it. My mom saying I was just "reaching for something" and my bf describing the job like a nightmare as if I wasn't already informed about what it's about. Ultimately, I didn't do it since I felt so much pressure.

For the longest time, I have felt pressure everywhere with people telling me what to do, but I haven't been happy at all. They do what they do and I never pressure them to do something else and always encouraged their own goals. Why is it the total opposite for me?
You know, you COULD just decide to make your own decisions based on what YOU think and ignore what your mother or your boyfriend or your hairdresser thinks you should do. No more pressure. Mind-boggling, huh?

If you're always gonna do what you always did, then you're always gonna get what you always got.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
grow up/grow a backbone...?

It's your life, you make what it becomes... stop blaming anyone else for it if you are unhappy about it

Old 11-30-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
grow up/grow a backbone...?

It's your life, you make what it becomes... stop blaming anyone else for it if you are unhappy about it
I do and I realize that now. It was really hard to do it before since I didn't really have much support for my own goals which led to the series of depression. From now on, I don't care what anyone thinks about what I am doing for myself. I feel that I am really smart and nice and the climate I am in at my own job has been breaking me too and I realize that corporate America is not where I want to be.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:48 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
why do you look for other people for support? You want a personal cheerleading squad? If you are depressed, get over it because it doesn't get better until you get a better outlook on life.

You want it to be better? Then start working on a goal, go to school, work a job even if it pays poorly if it provides skills you can use later on. Then keep moving, horizontal or vertical on career, just keep getting more skills/knowledge. That's the best way to get out of depression, to keep busy... no drugs, people, meds can do that for you. You just become reliant on them and when they stop, you go back to depression

why do people take issue with "corporate" america? It is the same as "normal" america... people work for profit (you working just adds to it, you are part of that culture)... get over it. If you don't like the company culture, find another one.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
why do you look for other people for support? You want a personal cheerleading squad? If you are depressed, get over it because it doesn't get better until you get a better outlook on life.

You want it to be better? Then start working on a goal, go to school, work a job even if it pays poorly if it provides skills you can use later on. Then keep moving, horizontal or vertical on career, just keep getting more skills/knowledge. That's the best way to get out of depression, to keep busy... no drugs, people, meds can do that for you. You just become reliant on them and when they stop, you go back to depression

why do people take issue with "corporate" america? It is the same as "normal" america... people work for profit (you working just adds to it, you are part of that culture)... get over it. If you don't like the company culture, find another one.
I don't think you have to be so stern. Depression is a serious issue and it's something that you can't just "get over" since I had it more than once. I am finally getting out of this one somewhat, so I am feeling a lot better than earlier this year. My life was pretty hard as it was on top of being the first in my family to graduate college did bring a lot of pressure and confusion at some points since no one else has done that before. People take issues with corporate America because of the politics. There's politics in every job but Corporate America politics is the worst of them all.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:20 AM

455 posts, read 388,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboobam View Post

You need therapy/counseling not the work and employment forum. So far every forum you post, you are blaming everyone around so I am assessing the common denominator; you. The victim never wins so unless you change you, nothing is going to change. Move out, dump the BF, do what you want, take ownership. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
You need therapy/counseling not the work and employment forum. So far every forum you post, you are blaming everyone around so I am assessing the common denominator; you. The victim never wins so unless you change you, nothing is going to change. Move out, dump the BF, do what you want, take ownership. Good luck.
Thank you and I felt like I needed help for the longest. I am actually feeling really emotional on the brink of tears typing this. My bf isn't the problem but he was until he went to anger management and for the most part he is a lot better now, so I can't blame him nor anyone else but myself.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:59 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:

Telling someone to "get over" depression is a stereotype of a useless thing to tell a depressed person. Yes, doing things, like exercising or having a project, is a great way to fight depression, but the depressed person doesn't have the energy or will to do those things or they WOULD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology