Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:11 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Has anybody here who absolutely love drinking been able to give it up not because they were an alcoholic but they simply just wanted to do it? Did you have to substitute alcohol for anything?
I encourage you to reconsider this view. You indicate that when you start drinking you don't have voluntary control of how much you will drink or when you will stop. Your drinking frequently affects the way you feel and your ability to function the next day. You drink to compensate for difficulties in social functioning. Your drinking makes you feel bad and makes you wish you could stop. You believe it is adversely affecting your physical health.

It's good that you haven't been violent, wrapped your car around a tree, or lost a job because of your drinking.

You don't have to drink every day to be an alcoholic. An honest personal inventory, and you're pretty close to it, will probably reveal to you that you are an alcoholic.

You think it's time to stop, and I think you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:30 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
The easiest way to reduce your drinking is not to purchase any bottles. If you just don't keep it in the house, you will find it much easier to cut way back. If you are going out, plan in advance how many drinks you will allow yourself, (two is plenty) and drink water in between them and quit when you hit that limit. This is easier if you pay cash and don't bring your debit card, and don't bring extra cash. No more money=no more drinks.

It's sort of like being on a diet. If you are dieting, you shouldn't keep cookies, candy in the house. You should fill that void with healthier choices. I find citrus flavored sparkling water, or diet ginger ale works well as an alternative healthier beverage.

After a couple of weeks you will find that you no longer get those "gee, a glass of wine would be great right now" feelings anymore.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:54 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The easiest way to reduce your drinking is not to purchase any bottles. If you just don't keep it in the house, you will find it much easier to cut way back. If you are going out, plan in advance how many drinks you will allow yourself, (two is plenty) and drink water in between them and quit when you hit that limit. This is easier if you pay cash and don't bring your debit card, and don't bring extra cash. No more money=no more drinks.

It's sort of like being on a diet. If you are dieting, you shouldn't keep cookies, candy in the house. You should fill that void with healthier choices. I find citrus flavored sparkling water, or diet ginger ale works well as an alternative healthier beverage.

After a couple of weeks you will find that you no longer get those "gee, a glass of wine would be great right now" feelings anymore.
I don't leave alcohol in the house. If I did, it would not last long. I usually go out and buy it if I want it that night. The bringing cash thing is a good idea. I do get a ton of free alcohol from friends when I go to their house, so that may be the hardest part. Most of the alcohol I've had was given to me or friends buy me drinks. It's hard to say no...

Old 12-01-2015, 10:15 AM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Has anybody here who absolutely love drinking been able to give it up not because they were an alcoholic but they simply just wanted to do it? Did you have to substitute alcohol for anything?
You don't have to "have a problem" or "be an alcoholic" to quit drinking. Anyone can do it.

I had 2 DWI's within 360 days of each other, back in the 80's, and the court-appointed evaluator recommended that I take some mandatory classes. Long story short, I ended up going to AA meetings pretty frequently, met a lot of weird people, and quit drinking. Many AA members chain smoke and most drink caffeinated coffee like it's going out of style. It's a trait of the addictive personality. Personally I drink club soda with a twist of lime if I'm at a bar with friends. In the old days, an AA friend pointed out that I was sucking down the $5 club sodas like they were beer, so I now sip $5 club soda. Another trait.

Today I'll have a champagne toast at weddings or on New Year's Eve and I cook with wine occasionally, but I don't drink. That's because I don't consider myself an alcoholic, and deep down I never did. But I don't see the point of drinking alcohol if you're not going to put a buzz on. Sound familiar?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:44 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
I've considered quitting as well, at least for 30 days and then reevaluate. Its expensive and it adds to my depression anyway. However, I do like red wine. That would be hard to give up. I don't drink it more than a few times a month, so maybe limiting myself to red wine is all thats needed. But like you, I can easily go through a bottle by myself. Food for thought.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
jtab, most places will give you free club sodas if you tell them you are the designated driver. Save a few bucks!

Old 12-01-2015, 11:54 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Have you been to the doctors and had a physical and blood work drawn? I think you should start there first. Are you suffering from depression? Sometimes alcohol abuse and depression go hand in hand. I'm the same way about sugar. I've been trying to break this addiction for decades. It's border line out of control again. I've also discovered the joy of the endorphin kick you get from exercising. My new addiction is my bike. Now I get anxious if I don't get that feeling. It's far healthier then looking for that sugar high. Try to find a substitute for your alcohol abuse that's not so self destructive.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:40 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
I used to drink a bottle of a wine a night, if not added beer, or beer instead of wine, but with a rum kicker inside of the beer. I blacked out a lot. I got tired of that. I attended Celebrate Recovery (AA with a lot of Jesus) and just prayed a lot, and finally God removed my desire for it. That was 17 months ago.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:46 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times
Strangely enough I don't have an addictive or obsessive personality, or at least I don't believe I do. I can't recall ever really being addicted to anything or anyone. If I did, they were usually short term and then I got bored of it and moved on. Hopefully I'll move on from this soon...

Old 12-01-2015, 02:30 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
My grandfather used to drink wine every day. He died at 85, but his final illness had nothing to do with alcohol consumption. His brother lived to be 106, and he also knew how to drink. I think they both had a healthy diet, for whatever that's worth. Think Mediterranean.

From all the people i now, alcohol use, even on a daily basis (a few glasses of wine) is OK for most people. Where you get into trouble is when you start consuming massive quantities on a daily basis, for years. If you do that, you will eventually destroy your liver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology