Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 04:12 PM

657 posts, read 407,246 times

Advertisements

Let me share a story; it's a old one.
In a Southern 'red neck'state, the old boys were not too keen on having black folk vote, but it was federal law, so they had to allow it. Before blacks could vote, they had to pass a test that they could read and write.
On voting day they were lined up well before the polls opened. At the front of the line was a elderly black man, who waited for the law to pass for a long time.
When the poll opened he was the first in, the examiner gave him a pencil a piece of wax paper and told to write his name. (wax paper does not take pencil writing). Then the examiner handed him a Chinese newspaper, the gentleman said, "I can only make out the small print".
The examiner was startled, and says, "You can? What does it say?' And the gentleman said, "It says there won't be no black folks voting here to-day".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 06:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,878,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
Let me share a story; it's a old one.
In a Southern 'red neck'state, the old boys were not too keen on having black folk vote, but it was federal law, so they had to allow it. Before blacks could vote, they had to pass a test that they could read and write.
On voting day they were lined up well before the polls opened. At the front of the line was a elderly black man, who waited for the law to pass for a long time.
When the poll opened he was the first in, the examiner gave him a pencil a piece of wax paper and told to write his name. (wax paper does not take pencil writing). Then the examiner handed him a Chinese newspaper, the gentleman said, "I can only make out the small print".
The examiner was startled, and says, "You can? What does it say?' And the gentleman said, "It says there won't be no black folks voting here to-day".
"Why are we driven to tell our own joke to someone else?

Because we are unable to laugh at it ourselves."

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 12-07-2015 at 07:13 PM..

Old 12-08-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
How did you get obsessed with the amygdala?
My "magnificent obsession" with amygdalae.

1. Amygdalae control/regulate emotions involuntarily.
2. Amygdalae 'can be' controlled/regulated 'intentionally' with 'chosen thoughts'.
3. I'm no longer a 'victim' of emotions to the extent I "used to" be.
4. You too can refuse to be victim of bullies and others inane comments/remarks; or victim of your own dysfunctional thoughts.

I mentioned "shifting to witnessing perspective" before. Here's one way,to 'step back/shift to witnessing perspective'. When emoting; ask; "Am I IN 'this',(whatever thought your thinking); or WITNESSING it?"A prerequisite to asking that question is to 'be' at witnessing perspective.
You have to,be OUT OF the thought in order to answer the question. When/while your IN the thought, you don't/can't recognize your 'in' it.

When we 'used to' react to 'bogyman', (as children), we did not recognize we were reacting to 'thought'; as soon as we recognized doing so, we instantly stopped and so did the fear.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:39 AM

quote: Keith Blevens: " We live in the feeling of our thinking ".

That seemed enigmatic to me but I intuitively sensed/resonated to it.
I 'knew I knew it but didn't know I knew it" till I read it. I pondered it for a long time, then I "got it"; like 'getting' the punch line of a joke. I share the 'fruit of my labor', so you will 'get it' sooner than it took me.
I changed the quote to; "We think perceptions" Do you see what that implies?
Let me reword that to "We craft/tailor perceptions", (via thinking).
The rest follows because we are hard wired to react to perceptions, as are all creatures.
The prevailing paradigm is that our emotions always/only are evoked by external stimuli, that's such a deep rooted belief, we do not recognize when we "craft/tailor" perceptions of our own; but our neurology reacts to them whether we recognize our "do-it-yourself" perceptions or not. Our emotions are our proof we react to our own 'crafted/tailored' perceptions. Do you recognize it or do you 'miss it'?

When we subliminally believe, "thoughts are things", then we also believe we are reacting to external stimuli "as usual". That is the "great deception" of being conditioned.

Last edited by sakoz-2; 12-10-2015 at 12:00 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 11:36 AM

'Believing" catalyzes thought to act/function as perception.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 AM

Where there's smoke there's fire.
Where there's emotions there's perceptions.
Where there's perceptions there's thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology