Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Well, by my storming out I feel that I'm doing as I've been told to do: in a potentially volatile situation, walk away! I never again want to let anger get the better of me, but in this case, I was ripped between outright rage...and tears. As I mentioned, I was deeply hurt by someone. I was called in for walking out and I thought I was gonna be on the receiving end of a browbeating. First words out of everybody's mouths: "Are you all right?" I was kinda floored, as I swore that I was gonna get yelled at. I never let my personal problems spill onto anything else, but they know that I'm going through therapy and was actually complimented on my change in attitude. I've traveled a long road, but I still have many more miles ahead. No one ever said that the road wouldn't be bumpy!
Yes, you have made progress, based on what you've shared in various threads here.

Next step is to realize that there is a huge difference between "walking out" and "storming out." The latter is passive-aggressive, but still aggressive.

Keep working to regulate your actions when those emotions rise up. You don't want to add a job search to your stressors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 11:56 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Hey Rick, I have read lots of your posts and noticed your impulsiveness but also value your input on most topics.

My advice:

Breathe, count to 10 and smile.

Storming out gives the other person the feeling you are immature and wrong. SMILE and say "I will think about it" and walk off to collect your thoughts.

Smiling at douches also can make THEM angry and put YOU in the better position.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:31 PM

657 posts, read 407,761 times
ItsRick24 ; I address your 'problem' in #64 of my thread: "Are thoughts things?". (read #64 first).

Old 12-10-2015, 02:16 PM

215 posts, read 185,480 times
ItsRick24

You can't change people
You can't let people change you, unless you respect and find those changes innovative and useful to your character

So like you said,
"WHATEVER!!"
However the outburst may not have been necessary

Just keep emotions under control and things are fine

Old 12-10-2015, 03:17 PM

657 posts, read 407,761 times
[quote=Wannabeliber;

Just keep emotions under control and things are fine[/QUOTE]

[quote=ItsRick24;

Right now, I'm upset, hurt, and have no damn idea what to do about it!!![/QUOTE]

Wannabeliber; OP has 'no damn idea what to do about it'. You told 'what' to do but not HOW.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:40 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Rick: Sorry to tell you this, but not everyone thinks the same way you do, and if they disagree about something, its possible your the wrong one. You need to grow up, and accept that the world and the people in it are not required to conform their behavior and thinking to you.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:48 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I was already in a bad mood because a so-called "friend" hurt me. On top of which I had received some not-so-good news from another friend (this latter friend actually a stand-up person). Anyway, had a disagreement with an associate about something I thought trivial. I've been doing my best to control my temper and thus far, I've been OK. Anyway, the disagreement was getting out of hand and voices began rising. Given that I was already upset and hurt, I just screamed, "WHATEVER!!!" and stormed out, slamming the door loudly. Just one of those days where **** keeps piling up! I'm about to the point where I just don't want to speak to anyone! Or rather, the few who can approach me are unavailable for whatever different reasons.

I don't think that I ask for much. Just a little understanding. We can agree to disagree if our thoughts differ, but I'm so damn sick and tired of dealing with narrow mindedness!!!

Right now, I'm upset, hurt, and have no damn idea what to do about it!!!
That's ok, I was presented with 5 lists of "preferred presents" from my kids teachers! WHO BY THE WAY are paid a yearly salary + vacations and benefits!!!!!!

How freakin rude! Yeah, I threw a tantrum on my blog too! It's getting ridiculous!

Old 12-10-2015, 04:35 PM

215 posts, read 185,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
Wannabeliber; OP has 'no damn idea what to do about it'. You told 'what' to do but not HOW.
I could give a reliable stock suggestion I always give
And that is to corral the subconscious and ease it to reason with some well-done hypnosis therapy
But nobody is going to believe that!

Old 12-10-2015, 10:25 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
It sounds like the stress of your position and environment is taking its toll. Don't continue to stifle. Get a job more suitable for your temperment such as one with fewer deadlines and less contact with others. Working autonomously.
Be careful not to burn out because one never really comes back from that. Stress can cause physical havoc and nervous breakdown.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:11 AM

797 posts, read 1,750,526 times
So sorry you had a bad day. I agree with those who said to work on not expecting much from others. I personally used to get worked up over things (especially close-minded people!!) and then I learned to move the goalpost. If I lower my expectations I can't get disappointed. Remember, it takes two people to argue. Deep breaths, meditate, go to that "happy place" in your mind, go for a walk (if you're able).

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you! People can really suck sometimes, plus with the stress of the holidays it's easy to be on edge. Hope you're able to enjoy a stress-free day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology