Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:38 PM

50,113 posts, read 35,754,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
How does the toxicity reach you? Is it air-born; like virus/germs? Radiated like light from the sun? Is detoxification an option?
Notice how not all people are allergic to the same toxins you are? (Or are 'thoughts' that cause emotions? Different 'thoughts' different emotions?)
I completely understand what you're saying and agree. My last bf had anger issues, and I used to say similar things to him. It was like if there was negativity coming off a person, my ex absorbed it like a sponge rather than being able to repel it (ideally like water off a duck's back). There will always be toxic people and there is no way to avoid them totally. it is up to each of us to be able to be in a room with toxic people and NOT let them get to us.

I used to tell me ex I did not feel secure and safe with him because his emotions were not under his own control, but depended on external circumstances and were dependent on the behavior of others. As long as that is true, you cannot have real control over your own life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 02:44 PM

3,422 posts, read 3,312,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I completely understand what you're saying and agree. My last bf had anger issues, and I used to say similar things to him. It was like if there was negativity coming off a person, my ex absorbed it like a sponge rather than being able to repel it (ideally like water off a duck's back). There will always be toxic people and there is no way to avoid them totally. it is up to each of us to be able to be in a room with toxic people and NOT let them get to us.

I used to tell me ex I did not feel secure and safe with him because his emotions were not under his own control, but depended on external circumstances and were dependent on the behavior of others. As long as that is true, you cannot have real control over your own life.
Such is the reason I've sought help. Ocnj, it wasn't very long ago that you (and others on here) tore me a new one. I'm being a man and admitting my shortcomings.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:51 PM

657 posts, read 405,426 times
Quote:

Deeply rooted 'beliefs' are not easily overcome; (unless one experiences a insight/epiphany, but those are few and far between).
A long time ago, the consensus was that the earth was flat; even though in fact it was round but not recognized at the time. Then later, it was believed that the earth was the centre of our solar system, even though in fact it's the sun that is the center. (It 'still appears' to us that the sun revolves around the earth instead of vice versa. We still say'the sun rises and sets'

You say your exes emotions are 'dependent on external circumstances and dependent on the behavior of others.' quote; "As long as that is true, you cannot have real control over your own life: unquote.
I don't believe that is true.
I tried to clarify the 'toxic' people belief. Do they give off toxicity like body odor? Some people are allergic to some 'people toxins' and 'situation toxins'; (and some are not?)
I'm introducing a new paradigm, but old ones take generations to over come.
Like I pointed out; we still say 'sun rise and sunset', some beliefs/habits are difficult to change if your not aware of them.
(Still saying sun rise and sun set, when we 'know' is an example of not practising what we 'know', behaving differently from what we know.)

ItsRick24; you say "toxic" people/situations/circumstances evoke your anger; is toxicity like puppeteer strings going to a the puppet, by which the puppeteer controls the puppet? Your emotions are externally evoked?
Do you see yourself as a 'emotional puppet'? What if your 'strings' are illusory/imagined?

Do you feel toxicity from/that's outside or do you feel your thoughts that are inside?

JST 101 – What

Had a meltdown ?
What if you were feeling your thoughts?
'Think' about a time you felt very sad; if you start feeling sad, your experiencing your current thought.

( If your alone at home, and you think about the events that (you believe) caused your meltdown; how can they evoke feelings while your alone? This time it's your thoughts evoking your emotions, maybe it was your thoughts that evoke emotions even when your experiencing the events firsthand.)

In the 1950s, Albert Ellis came up with his A-B-C model of emotions:
A - Events
B - Beliefs
C - Emotions
Most people 'still' do not subscribe to his model, but to the A - C model. OP is an example. The A -C model is in vogue. Going from A to C in one leap, WITHOUT RECOGNIZING B.
Then there's the B - C model. An example of B - C model is the rope/snake phenomena.
One can 'look' at a piece of rope, but 'see' a snake. (the snake is B, a memory thought or a "thought-created perception") That is reacted to, to produce/evoke the emotion at C. Let's look at the 'bogyman fear', there is NO creature in the environment, only a "thought-created perception"; that is, there is no A in that case, only B, B is what causes/evokes C, the emotion. The A - C and B - C models are incomplete.
Then there's the "phantom limb pain". A person, with a leg amputated at the knee complains about pain in the foot of the missing leg. How is that possible? They still have the image of the missing foot. If a person can react to their image of 'snake' why can't a person react to their image of the 'missing foot'? (Both of those are the B - C model).

(If you still subscribe to the A -C model; this post will not make any sense to you; )

(If your foot hurts and you go to the doctor, who takes x-rays or MRI and reports NO structural damage to be seen on the x-rays, what can still cause pain?)

Is there common denominator for meltdowns and other lessor painful emotions?
All of us experience them; some more than others. (Even Jesus got angry at the money changers in the temple).
Yes, there is a common denominator: Unrecognized 'thought-created ' perceptions.
Consider this: A bully,(or someone else), makes a inane/derogatory remake about you;( example; "your no good"), and you feel hurt. In another context, at another time, you yourself 'think', "I'm no good", and you feel hurt. In both cases, "language/thought' was the common factor.

(I explained how that 'works' in other threads; ask questions if you missed or did not understand some point in my other threads.)

"Placebo subjects" do NOT recognize that their own thoughts caused the relief they experience.
Unrecognized 'thought-created' perceptions cause emotions, even when you DON'T recognize that is so.

quote; "We have met the enemy, and they are us". - Pogo said.
The 'ability to think' is unwittingly being used against us instead of for us; (by us). Paradigm shift is urgent.
We 'see' the ubiquitous problems being escalated because we don't recognize the cause.

Perception and Knowing mismatch and vice versa equals fallibility.
Not recognizing "thought-created perceptions" compounds the problems exponentially; as attested by the current human condition, putting survival at risk.

(example of 'knowing and perception mismatch' : we still say sunrise and sunset, because that's what we 'perceive', but we 'know' that's not what is going on, we 'know' it's the earth rotating that causes us to 'see' that illusion, but we perpetuate the illusion and give it credence by saying 'sunrise' and 'sunset' even though that's not the case.)

Last edited by Marka; 12-30-2015 at 04:28 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 11:56 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,497,291 times
Quote:
quote; "We have met the enemy, and they are us". - Pogo said.
The 'ability to think' is unwittingly being used against us instead of for us; (by us). Paradigm shift is urgent.
We 'see' the ubiquitous problems being escalated because we don't recognize the cause.

Perception and Knowing mismatch and vice versa equals fallibility.
Not recognizing "thought-created perceptions" compounds the problems exponentially; as attested by the current human condition, putting survival at risk.

(example of 'knowing and perception mismatch' : we still say sunrise and sunset, because that's what we 'perceive', but we 'know' that's not what is going on, we 'know' it's the earth rotating that causes us to 'see' that illusion, but we perpetuate the illusion and give it credence by saying 'sunrise' and 'sunset' even though that's not the case.)

*******s. Everything is relative and, from the point of the observer, the word sunset describes the descent of our nearest star out of the line of sight of the observer below the horizon - which of course is also relative. It is an actual thing that occurs since, the eye, the optic nerve and the brain are.. actual things also. It is not an illusion (something which is not actually occurring) but aptly describes the experience of the observer (The sun is setting) as to their receipt of light from the sun over time at that geographic position.

Plus you really should work on clarity in your writing. Its almost indigestible. If you understand something well then you should generally be able to explain it in clear sentences.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7

Plus you really should work on clarity in your writing. Its almost indigestible. If you understand something well then you should generally be able to explain it in clear sentences.

the word "should" above is your opinion/assumption. (I did not say your opinions/assumptions have no value, they do, but for 'you', they are part of your 'guidance system', but not part of mine.)

Relative is correct. How would it 'look' from another planet?
What do you have to say about 'unwittingly' making/fabricating/crafting/tailoring "perceptions"? That's the crux of my post.

Here's a conundrum: 'almost' everyone believes their emotions are externally stimulated/evoked; even though Wilder Penfield could only stimulate patients brains by cutting open their skull before he could use a electric probe on the patients brain.
So how can events/situations/people, etc. stimulate your brain to evoke emotions without opening your skull and have direct access to your 'naked brain'?
We evoke/elicit our emotions with our thoughts, and ONLY with our thoughts.

( when you say: "s/he; it makes me angry" is a misnomer; faux pas ).

Are you still playing 'grab bag' with emotions; or do you choose what to feel?

The main role of thinking is to stimulate amygdalae to emote/react.
I'm not suggesting WHICH thoughts to think and believe; that's totally up to you.
The thoughts you DO believe determine the emotions you experience.
Are you satisfied with your choices? or do you believe automatically, via conditioning? (grab bag game).

As a child, when you recognized 'bogyman' was a 'thought', what happened to your fear? KAPUT
What 'thoughts' do you 'believe' now that evokes your emotions when you think those thoughts?

Last edited by Marka; 12-30-2015 at 04:27 AM..

Old 12-26-2015, 12:30 PM

50,113 posts, read 35,754,801 times
Quote:
As a child, when you recognized 'bogyman' was a 'thought', what happened to your fear? KAPUT
What 'thoughts' do you 'believe' now that evokes your emotions when you think those thoughts?
They don;t completely go kaput...I still don't like to sleep with the closet door open even a crack, I get up and shut it if I notice (cause that's where the monsters peeked out from) and I don't like my feet uncovered in bed (they can't get you if you're covered)

I don't actually believe in zombies, but if I broke down at night on a dark road near a cemetary, scenes from "Night of the Living Dead" would be popping up in my mind and I'd be very scared anyway.

The beliefs may go away as we grow up, but there is a residual from them that always remains deeply ingrained, at least for me!

Old 12-26-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
They don;t completely go kaput...I still don't like to sleep with the closet door open even a crack, I get up and shut it if I notice (cause that's where the monsters peeked out from) and I don't like my feet uncovered in bed (they can't get you if you're covered)

I don't actually believe in zombies, but if I broke down at night on a dark road near a cemetary, scenes from "Night of the Living Dead" would be popping up in my mind and I'd be very scared anyway.

The beliefs may go away as we grow up, but there is a residual from them that always remains deeply ingrained, at least for me!
ocngirl: thanks for your input. The 'word' "beliefs" refers to duality, the two are: 1. thought and 2. believing. Beliefs are a combo. Keep that in mind. You wrote 'beliefs' may go away as we grow up. My image of 'bogyman' is as clear in memory as it was when I was a child. But what did happen, was I stopped believing the thought; that is I broke up the combo; the image is still intact.
Think of a mermaid; got a image? now you don't believe such a creature is possible, no way, yet we have a image of such a impossibility.
Our amygdalae are hard wired to automatically react to perceptions. We can 'counterfeit' perceptions simply by 'believing' images.
"Believing" is incremental; that is, intensity can vary, example from 1 to 10. What you might mean by "a residual" a 1 instead of 10, right?
You admit you believe the 'scenes' in your mind, even if only a "mite". Monsters and mermaids are only; ever thought-images. But you can believe images are real. (when we learn language, we are conditioned to believe images are 'real'.) It's time to override that 'mistake'.
Your familiar with the 'placebo effect'? We are trained to use our thoughts as placebos; you learned the lesson very well, but it was a mistake right from the-get-go.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:16 PM

3,422 posts, read 3,312,612 times
I think what it's been is that I don't take enough time for me. I'm working 50-60 hours a week (Mon-Fri); the weekends I'm busy with errands, cleaning, bills, etc. Sometimes I'm busier on the weekend than during the work week! As I've mentioned, I've got accrued vacation, sick and personal time. I'm supposed to have 1 week's worth of Compensation time off; I've accrued damn near double that! I'm just gonna start taking time off - my contract does say that I'm entitled to time off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology