Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 01:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

I generally don't engage in gossip. Not because I'm morally superior, or because I'm some zen-Oprah type who cares about not wrapping myself in "negative energy."

I just don't get involved in gossip because it would require me to care more than I really do about people I'm just not close to. I just find chit-chatting with people to be draining in general, and chit-chatting about other people's lives is just boring to me and energy-sucking. It's right up there with people who talk about their weekends, or sports, or the weather.

We talk a lot here about introverts, and how we detest small-talk and how interaction that's not very meaningful is just draining to us. So I wonder if, in general, extraverts enjoy or engage in gossip more than introverts do? That would be an interesting subject for research.

I just feel like my mouth would get tired to talk about something I don't really care about. And to sit and listen to someone else doing it just makes me need a nap. Do all the people who love to gossip really CARE about all those other people you talk about, either positively or negatively? Do they really matter to you? Am I lacking in something because I don't give enough of a crap about most people to talk about them, unless it directly affects me in a big way, or it has a serious impact on company operations at work? Sure there are people I don't like, but it's not like I have strong feelings about them. It's just more like "I find her annoying {shrug}" instead of some burning white-hot hatred that would compel me to spend time talking about the person.

Once in a very great while there might be something that's so major and juicy about a person that I might be entertained by hearing about it. But that's something big, like an ex-coworker I never liked who was arrested for embezzlement from her new company, or the father and husband who suddenly left his wife and kids and announced he's gay and addicted to drugs. Sure those examples were okay for 15 minutes of conversation. But how often does stuff like that happen to people I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 01:58 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
People without anything interesting going on in their lives LOVE gossip. When you're earnestly trying to achieve something you don't have time for it. Gossip is a way to spend time when you have too much to spare.
this.

The gossipers at my job are coincidentally the ones who are at the root of --all-- childish drama and negativity. They create it at work, then go home and keep it going on facebook. I work at a non-profit so its particularly bad. A very sore subject for me. I had no idea humans could be so miserable

Old 12-10-2015, 02:04 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikhung01 View Post
It doesn't make any sense. What's so great about talking about other people anyway while we could've talked about ideas for startups, retirement plans or hell, as much as I sound like a whiny teen, about our universe. I admit it it'd be a lie to say that I don't enjoy talking about that guy who got fired from work for cursing at his boss. Then again, what causes us to like gossiping so much? Is it genetic?

How does this behavior enhance your life? Does it make you feel better to discuss someone else's deragatory experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I find that I enjoy my share of gossiping because in it, I am "bonding" with the person with whom I'm conversing. "Don't you think she should stop wearing those mini-skirts and hose since she is 45 years old, and it is 2015?" "Yes! What was she thinking??" Now, I have had my thoughts validated by someone I respect and have a relationship with.

Gossip also gets you possible inside info that you may have been wondering about.

You are not "bonding" with anyone you are being shallow and judgmental in addition to trying to discover more "dirt" on others. Disgusting behavior for anyone over the age of 6 and most certainly the actions of a mature adult in a professional work place setting.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:09 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
For many people it is a way of bonding with others (by depicting another set of people as "others" and thus implying that the speaker and listener are "special") and also of venting.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:39 PM

194 posts, read 246,218 times
To make oneself momentarily interesting.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:48 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How does this behavior enhance your life? Does it make you feel better to discuss someone else's deragatory experiences?

You are not "bonding" with anyone you are being shallow and judgmental in addition to trying to discover more "dirt" on others. Disgusting behavior for anyone over the age of 6 and most certainly the actions of a mature adult in a professional work place setting.
Never said it was at work. Stop ASS-uming.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
People love dirt and others problems. I think in many cases, it makes them feel superior to others.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:38 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Human beings possess an innate curiosity, a desire to 'know', a desire to learn secrets that may be hidden to others. This trait is, in no small way, responsible for for their rise from being ignorant animals to the achievements of knowledge that have put men on the moon and split the atom. This trait confers a survival advantage that is reinforced through evolution.

The act of 'gossiping' satisfies the receiver's desire to 'know', and the giver's desire to share a 'secret' which makes them appear knowledgeable (feeds the ego). The act of sharing the 'secret' also implies that the receiver is somehow 'worthy' of receiving the knowledge of this 'secret', which feeds his/her ego.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:57 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
I view those who engage in gossip as petty shallow humans. I never understood why anyone would find it desirable to gossip about others.

I have zero interest in gossip.

If anyone tries to gossip in front of me...I stop them and kindly inform them that I don't participate in gossip nor do I tolerate anyone gossiping to me about other people.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:00 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
I know why people gossip. Because they think they don't have anything worth saying in a conversation like about current events for example unless it is a story about someone else. Their world is too small and narrow. I just whirl around and walk away from them with no "by your leave".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology