Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:53 AM

94 posts, read 90,030 times

Advertisements

It doesn't make any sense. What's so great about talking about other people anyway while we could've talked about ideas for startups, retirement plans or hell, as much as I sound like a whiny teen, about our universe. I admit it it'd be a lie to say that I don't enjoy talking about that guy who got fired from work for cursing at his boss. Then again, what causes us to like gossiping so much? Is it genetic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 09:17 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,545,818 times
I find that I enjoy my share of gossiping because in it, I am "bonding" with the person with whom I'm conversing. "Don't you think she should stop wearing those mini-skirts and hose since she is 45 years old, and it is 2015?" "Yes! What was she thinking??" Now, I have had my thoughts validated by someone I respect and have a relationship with.

Gossip also gets you possible inside info that you may have been wondering about.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:05 AM

589 posts, read 693,730 times
People without anything interesting going on in their lives LOVE gossip. When you're earnestly trying to achieve something you don't have time for it. Gossip is a way to spend time when you have too much to spare.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:29 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,855,020 times
We learn a lot about each other when we gossip. It's how we tell our collective story on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, without having to write a book. I learn as much, btw, about myself and the gossiper as I do about the gossipee. It's essential in any functioning community.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:01 AM

698 posts, read 2,835,432 times
It's generally thought that people who gossip have a need to diminish others so that they can elevate themselves somehow.

But it is just another form of school yard bullying with vindictive words instead of fists.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:19 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,733,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikhung01 View Post
I admit it it'd be a lie to say that I don't enjoy talking about that guy who got fired from work for cursing at his boss.
You answered your own question ^^^.

As has been said, gossip can bond you with people who also enjoy gossip.

It also is a form of social capital. It puts you in a position of "power" when you have something to share that some might perceive as interesting.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:31 AM

29,687 posts, read 34,222,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It also is a form of social capital. It puts you in a position of "power" when you have something to share that some might perceive as interesting.
Right, and not all gossip is mean-spirited. I just got off the phone with a co-worker who wanted to tell me what so-and-so said in a meeting. I was intrigued, and it wasn't anything that we wouldn't have talked about if so-and-so was around. I'd certainly be annoyed if she wanted to talk about start-ups or the universe.

And sometimes I think denigrating gossip is a way to diminish women--"Oh, those catty women and their silly gossip," when really most people find the goings-on of other people interesting.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,855,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
It's generally thought that people who gossip have a need to diminish others so that they can elevate themselves somehow.

But it is just another form of school yard bullying with vindictive words instead of fists.
If that's what you bring to gossip, that has more to do with you than those you're talking about. Gossip isn't inherently diminishing, bullying, or vindictive. It is only those things when you make it so.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:47 PM

698 posts, read 2,835,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If that's what you bring to gossip, that has more to do with you than those you're talking about. Gossip isn't inherently diminishing, bullying, or vindictive. It is only those things when you make it so.
Yes, that's true. But realistically most people are not being kind and compassionate when they talk about others behind their backs.

If you would not say it to the person being talked about then don't say it behind their backs. Period.

Anything not mean spirited or judgmental isn't "gossip" in my viewpoint but more like innocent information sharing. Like exchanging news about individuals within a family. So perhaps it's a matter of terminology and what you perceive of as gossip.

I felt that the OP was referring to the mean spirited form that involves small minds who naturally tend to focus on small talk (i.e. usually bashing others) instead of more far reaching philosophical ideas that would appeal to intellectual people.

Even though I'm not often seen in the company of people like Stephen Hawking I greatly prefer the latter and would walk away from someone who began frivolous going over of the coals or a demeaning diatribe about someone not there to defend themselves.

Some call it the golden rule.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:19 PM

1,318 posts, read 1,529,259 times
I've always heard it said that "Great people talk about ideas", "Average people talk about things" and "Little people talk about other people" (gossip)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology