Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 01:56 PM

370 posts, read 654,115 times

Advertisements

I want to die. But I would never kill my self. I have too much to live for. My mother would probably die of sadness and I will miss her. Is this normal to feel like this? I don't feel unhappy. But if I had to choose between life or death, I would choose death. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Please don't quote...I may delete this post in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 02:11 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times
Could you maybe expand on some of the rationale that's causing this sense? I ask because nobody just Wants to die...there are reason's. such as influences by society, friends, family members, job front and so on..

This feeling was described to me many times during my years at work ( HC system/ER) ..and best way they could describe it..They don't feel they have anything to live for. based on inability to succeed at some of the goals you set or plans falling through or relationship where you have been made to feel useless.

It's more common during holiday times ( especially Christmas/New Years) but also during late fall and winter times. People who work shift work often become "Blue" because of lack of daylight ...senses of futility, disappointment in oneself and sense of failure seems to creep into one's head when one becomes disengaged with something or anything which makes you happy ( truly happy/feeling joyful)..

Keep chin up..think positive thoughts, look for something to do ( besides blogging on a internet board that is) that interests you etc... Maybe give some hints of "things you like or aspirations for you like"..

Old 12-18-2015, 02:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
I want to die. But I would never kill my self. I have too much to live for. My mother would probably die of sadness and I will miss her. Is this normal to feel like this? I don't feel unhappy. But if I had to choose between life or death, I would choose death. I would like to hear your thoughts.
The bolded sentences contradict each other.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:47 AM

242 posts, read 262,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Could you maybe expand on some of the rationale that's causing this sense? I ask because nobody just Wants to die...there are reason's. such as influences by society, friends, family members, job front and so on..

This feeling was described to me many times during my years at work ( HC system/ER) ..and best way they could describe it..They don't feel they have anything to live for. based on inability to succeed at some of the goals you set or plans falling through or relationship where you have been made to feel useless.

It's more common during holiday times ( especially Christmas/New Years) but also during late fall and winter times. People who work shift work often become "Blue" because of lack of daylight ...senses of futility, disappointment in oneself and sense of failure seems to creep into one's head when one becomes disengaged with something or anything which makes you happy ( truly happy/feeling joyful)..

Keep chin up..think positive thoughts, look for something to do ( besides blogging on a internet board that is) that interests you etc... Maybe give some hints of "things you like or aspirations for you like"..
Well for one I am 33 now and I can't wait to marry and have children. Then most of the time I just lack the will to live and keep going. I have been feeling this way for more than a year now. I feel hopeless.
Nothing interests me anymore.
I feel like a loser compared to most people my age.
I know I sound pathetic...I know this!

Old 12-19-2015, 03:49 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post

Please don't quote...I may delete this post in the future.
Your first two sentences are contradictions, it is either or but not both.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:30 AM

370 posts, read 654,115 times
Of course it's contradictions! That is the point Dr. Phil! I want to know why I feel this way.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:43 PM

11,016 posts, read 5,975,337 times
You may be depressed. Have you thought of counseling or seeing a good doctor for assessment?

Feeling like you don't want to live while simultaneously feeling you have too much to live for is not contradictory.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:43 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,564 times
I know what you mean! I've felt the same way throughout a lot of my life. Like if I could just die naturally in my sleep or being shot or some normal way I wouldn't mind that.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:20 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
A certain sign of depression! You NEED to get on anti-depressants and have a professional to talk to. Talking things over helps tremendously IF you have a good professional.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:03 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,460,398 times
I'm with you, OP! I would choose death too. I started a thread on this very topic a couple of years ago. I have depression, and it sounds like you do too. You can either try to find a good treatment plan that works for you and try to eliminate these thoughts or you can just keep living like you have been. I came to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with wanting to die. Like you, I would never act on these thoughts out of respect and love for my family. Some of us just don't enjoy the experience of living or the nonsense that comes with living outweighs the joy we get out of it. There's nothing wrong with that unless you want that to change. So pursue treatment if you wish, but I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with someone who doesn't want to live anymore given what's going on in the world today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology