Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 10:20 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes. Very irrational.

The title was enough to freak me out, so I didn't read all posts before saying this...
(I will go back and read)

What is wrong with men getting snipped? A much easier operation, I daresay.
Amongst all animals, not just human; it is so much more life-threatening to the animal to cut on a female's body than a males.
I'm all for human population control. But why does it have to be a woman on an operating table?

Go get yourself fixed OP, if you're looking to control the human population. So many kids per pair/individual, but you can't stop the race. That is ridiculous.

It's easier for me/a man... to get snipped than ask my wife to get her bowels cut open and go through hours long operation and risk sepsis, other infections, etc. I can 'get fixed' in an office in about 20 minutes, with a minor cut and about 3 days of neosporin.
Vasectomies can and sometimes do fail, though.

@JasperJade: Can you please respond to my last replies to you here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 10:27 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Look up the numbers... women are much more likely to die under the knife of an hysterectomy than a man getting snipped.

Women have more complicated bodies due to the fact they can reproduce. Hence the X chromosome (women) minus one tail equals men. (Y)

Get snipped if you are hell-bent on controlling the population. Leave the ladies alone.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:53 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
OP, seek counseling. Seriously.
I agree. It is a very strange question that will never be asked of people.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:23 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Would it be irrational for a woman to get rid of her ovaries and/or her uterus in the hypothetical event of a global abortion ban with no exceptions anywhere worldwide and with no safe way to get a "back-alley" abortion anywhere worldwide?

Yes, this question is purely hypothetical, but there appears to be no closer real-life female-bodied equivalent to my own desires and situation.

Also, the motivation for this question of mine came from the various people who called me paranoid in this thread: An argument in favor of giving male-bodied people a unilateral opt-out from paying child support

Thus, I am certainly curious whether or not these people are fully consistent in this belief of theirs.

Anyway, any thoughts on this question of mine?
I haven't spent the time to read these responses. But from your other questions here, I think the only thing that you need to calm your fears is a vasectomy AND condom use "just in case."

You seem to be overly focused on the female part of the equation. I never wanted a kid yet never expected a partner to have a vasectomy because that's not my choice/request to make. I was merely very concise w BC and who I had sex with.

And even though I always knew I wanted to be childfree, a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY WITH MAJOR CONSEQUENCES due to the abrupt hormonal changes. The lack of estogen in a women mpacts heart, bone, skin, memory, etc.

I would never for a moment consider one unless my health was in serious danger without one.

Again, a vasectomy is a simple procedure and together with condoms should hopefully cure your fixation.

-----------

So I just read some replies. OP YOU HAVE NOT HAD A VASECTOMY YET??!

THIS SHOULD BE PRIORITY #1! Then test your sperm count to make sure it "worked," then use condoms or abstain if you are still that paranoid.

Your paranoia is reading like "pro-life misogyny" in reverse. You seem overly "fix"ated on the female part of the equation.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
When I start seeing lines of men waiting to have their penis and testicles removed, then I'll consider having my uterus and ovaries removed. Until then. but out of my life. And go get some major therapy....like an inpatient program. Clearly, the OP needs some serious psychological intervention. I can't even imagine having these types of thoughts! The crazy homeless guy I see every few days makes far more sense than this nonsense.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I do think you're paranoid and that you spend way too much time thinking about this issue.

BUT...when I was pregnant with my first baby, I had to go to a high risk clinic. One of the women who was often in the waiting room at the same time as me was also pregnant, and in her early 50's. She had a tubal ligation and her husband had a vasectomy. Then, years later, she thought she was done with menopause and it turned out she was pregnant instead. You'd assume that a woman in that situation would be horrified and upset, but she said that considering that her tubes came untied and her husband's vasectomy came unsnipped, there absolutely had to be a reason that her child was coming into the world.

So it can happen but it's very rare. Personally, I would never get rid of my uterus and ovaries for the situation you're describing. My doctor wants me to have a hysterectomy because of some problems I've had, but they would only remove my uterus, not the ovaries. I'm still trying to manage the health issue without a hysterectomy though.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:39 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I say that spaying (or neutering) a human being is actually rational, and maybe it's an action parents should consider when their children are born. Don't ask," do we want to be grandparents?" Instead ask, "do we want to prevent our daughter from having an unwanted pregnancy?" Ideally, the doctors should be able to do something that is reversible, but a young lady (or man) who has to get surgery done to conceive is, hopefully, unlikely to be promiscuous and take on the responsibility of bearing children "accidentally." Perhaps they could even give the person wishing to be restored to fertility a test to see if s/he is mentally and financially stable enough to be a good parent.

In my opinion, though, they need to find another way besides removing the uterus or ovaries. I am a woman, and I've heard there are a lot of physical effects to removing the ovaries and uterus, not just limited to not being able to conceive. A woman can go through early menopause and premature aging. Apparently, despite all of the achievements of our society, our bodies still act as if the woman's purpose ends when she can no longer bear children.
Uhmm...you do realize that the ovaries are the primary producer of female hormones in women? Estrogen and progesterone? And that those hormones contribute to the physical health of MANY other organs in the female body? There is no doubt that a mature woman WILL go through early menopause if her ovaries are removed because that's what menopause is - a drastic but natural lowering of her hormones. And that if you cut out a girl's ovaries before she's developed that SHE WON'T DEVELOP?

It's analogous to castrating a boy - no change in voice, no development of secondary characteristics....and yes, completely sterile. Don't they even teach biology any more in school? So yeah, lets spay and neuter all our kids...we'll be extinct in well under a century! ...but good idea!

Old 12-22-2015, 04:39 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Uhmm...you do realize that the ovaries are the primary producer of female hormones in women? Estrogen and progesterone? And that those hormones contribute to the physical health of MANY other organs in the female body? There is no doubt that a mature woman WILL go through early menopause if her ovaries are removed because that's what menopause is - a drastic but natural lowering of her hormones. And that if you cut out a girl's ovaries before she's developed that SHE WON'T DEVELOP?

It's analogous to castrating a boy - no change in voice, no development of secondary characteristics....and yes, completely sterile. Don't they even teach biology any more in school? So yeah, lets spay and neuter all our kids...we'll be extinct in well under a century! ...but good idea!
Here is a question which I don't think that anyone here has answered yet--on average, do trans-women and trans-men live shorter lives than cis-women and cis-men live if things such as transphobia are completely taken out of the picture?

Old 12-22-2015, 08:51 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Here is a question which I don't think that anyone here has answered yet--on average, do trans-women and trans-men live shorter lives than cis-women and cis-men live if things such as transphobia are completely taken out of the picture?
Please, cancel your internet. Go with cable instead. Clearly you have faaaaaaaaaaar too much free time on your hands and are in need of serious therapy. Why don't you Google your own question? Amazing that Google was invented just for that! Those crazy Google people!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
It would be irrational when simply getting one's tubes tied would prevent conception. And, even if abortion was made unobtainable (this will never happen. People got plenty of abortions when it was illegal.) there is the option of birth control.

A women receives hormones from her uterus and ovaries. It is better to leave them alone, if at all possible.

I am not sure about this question though. Do you fear never being able to have an abortion? Practice birth control or get your tubes tied. Or are you a guy with an odd preoccupation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology