U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 02:01 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,844,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
the tone and context of the situation should tell you which..
This. Also, how have you been treated by most people in your life up until now? Do you generate respect? Usually? Or do even your friends treat you with contempt? There's your answer. If the answer is negative, it's possible to change that but it won't happen overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 02:12 PM

5,072 posts, read 4,898,605 times
Second verse of "Spiderman" cartoon theme:

Is he strong? Listen, bud,
He's got radioactive blood,
Can he swing from a thread?
Take a look overhead,
Hey there!
There goes a Spiderman,

Old 01-20-2016, 11:29 PM

4,327 posts, read 889,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,

I have had a few instances where I've been called "bud"(never "buddy" though). Most common in the work place "thanks, bud!" Sometimes by coworkers or even customers will call me bud. My new workout trainer calls me"bud" (but also switches up to "man" sometimes too). I'vea lways felt it was a friendly, but slightly demeaning term. Something you'd call your 5 year old nephew that just helped you rake the lawn." Thanks for helping with the lawn, bud!" Did they really help you? No, not really.

I feel as if the people that call me bud don't take me serious? Am I going about this correctly, or is it just a friendly term that I shouldn't be spinning?

Thanks.

Has anyone ever called you "bro" who wasn't your brother?

Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 PM

1,112 posts, read 665,977 times
Some people just use that word casually and can't help it, which is likely the case here.

Buddy, on the other hand sounds a little diminutive. When I was 13 or so adults were always calling me "buddy," probably because they thought I was 9-10 years old. Those were the same people who did not try to hide their disbelief when I told them my age.

I think you should be fine here, as it seems that "bud" is not being used in a "lil' bro" tone here.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:13 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,253,741 times
Bud is short for Buddy - as pointed out above. 'Buddy' refers to someone you consider a friend.

Man is more generic. "Hey, man..." does not connote friendship, just another male you are calling to.

Lots of people (and I plead guilty) use Bud (or 'Dear') as friendly terms of address when our brains can't pull their names out of our memories at the same speed as it creates the idea we want to communicate. Happily, I live in a part of the country where 'Dear' is accepted as a term of endearment and not seen as some sort of slight or insult or anything else derogatory - and my wife understands.

My (work) partner and I worked and travelled all over the country together for years. She was friends with my family and I with hers. Yet her brain just took longer to put the face to the name - I was "You" (as in, 'Hey, you.') every time I walked into her office. I didn't feel bad - she did the same thing to her husband.

So if a guy is calling you 'Bud,' he's calling you 'friend,' particularly if he is former military.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:29 PM

838 posts, read 994,545 times
More than anything I think it is just one of those annoying phrases people tend to overuse - kinda generic, and a "go to" for some people.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:00 PM

93 posts, read 90,745 times
I can actually relate to the OP's point somewhat. I know 99% of the time, "bud" is a term of endearment, but when someone your own age or younger calls you bud (especially if they're not actually your "buddy") feels slightly patronizing. However, it's not nearly as patronizing as "big guy" or "boss".

Old 02-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Status: "Justice-two way street, and not just in favor of barbarians" (set 8 days ago)

14,622 posts, read 5,787,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,

I have had a few instances where I've been called "bud"(never "buddy" though). Most common in the work place "thanks, bud!" Sometimes by coworkers or even customers will call me bud. My new workout trainer calls me"bud" (but also switches up to "man" sometimes too). I'vea lways felt it was a friendly, but slightly demeaning term. Something you'd call your 5 year old nephew that just helped you rake the lawn." Thanks for helping with the lawn, bud!" Did they really help you? No, not really.

I feel as if the people that call me bud don't take me serious? Am I going about this correctly, or is it just a friendly term that I shouldn't be spinning?

Thanks.
I think the term can imply a degree of familiarity that doesn't exist.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 895 times
I use "bud" to my pals,and refer to them as "the boys" or "the lads." (I'm 65,and they are in their late 50's to early 70's.)
"Bud" can be insulting,depending on the context

Old 11-22-2018, 04:57 PM

21,713 posts, read 7,352,352 times
Plain and Simple:

Friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or