U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2019, 10:31 AM

25 posts, read 3,476 times

Advertisements

I want to pee but im too bored to get up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 12:37 PM

43,137 posts, read 34,541,096 times
I ate five Rafaelos for lunch. Now that is pathetic and stupid. I mean, I didn't mean to eat them FOR LUNCH. But I ate five of them, which is pretty fattening, so now I feel like I have to skip lunch - or eat lettuce, plain, with no salad dressing on it.

I discovered them - I didn't realize I had them! Oh frabjous day, calooh, calay! I ate the lemon wafer cookie things for breakfast with coffee. My life is ridiculous. Why do I even have this stuff in my house?

Old 02-23-2019, 12:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,490,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It kind of reminds me of my husband, who is always messing up his computer, or the printer, or his phone, and expecting me to fix it. He will use me for a crutch, if I let him. I was his office manager for 20+ years and he keeps forgetting I don’t work for him anymore.

I have an acquaintance whose loser son still lives with them, and she cuts his meat.
Loved hearing about the loser son!! I can relate.

My husband loves to use the word 'we' when he means 'you' -- "We should cover that dish and put it back in the fridge." Sometimes I say "No, it's ok! I can take care of that by myself"... other times I say "Yes, we really should." And then I walk right past it.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:17 PM

36,092 posts, read 44,253,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Loved hearing about the loser son!! I can relate.

My husband loves to use the word 'we' when he means 'you' -- "We should cover that dish and put it back in the fridge." Sometimes I say "No, it's ok! I can take care of that by myself"... other times I say "Yes, we really should." And then I walk right past it.
My husband does this too! I hate it. When he says, “we should do so and so,” he means I should do it. It’s usually some odious task like, “We should call the cable company as see if we can get a better deal”. This translates into, “Why don’t you spend 2 hours on hold on a futile mission?”

Old 02-24-2019, 04:03 PM
Status: "POTUS Trump promises - not hot air" (set 23 days ago)

14,473 posts, read 5,724,516 times
Downloading a three-movement piano concerto from the local library and finding that two movements were from one recording, one from another.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 AM

43,137 posts, read 34,541,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My husband does this too! I hate it. When he says, “we should do so and so,” he means I should do it. It’s usually some odious task like, “We should call the cable company as see if we can get a better deal”. This translates into, “Why don’t you spend 2 hours on hold on a futile mission?”
Ugh!

My husband doesn't do this, but other people in my life do, notably my youngest brother, who hasn't helped me ONE IOTA with estate settlements for either of our parents.

When my mom put her house up for sale, and family had already gone through and gotten anything nostalgic or heirloomy, we were left with just basic, standard household stuff - clothes, plastic wear, etc. I mean, sure, it was a lot of stuff but none of what was left was particularly valuable. I had been helping Mom clean out and put up for sale THREE houses full of stuff, and over 100 acres. I was 55 years old myself (my brother was 45). So when we got to the end of stuff - everything anyone cared about was already out of the house - I said, "I'm just going to tell whoever cleans the house that they have to have it completely cleaned out - they can have the stuff, sell the stuff, donate the stuff, whatever but it has to be completely out of the house in two weeks - what do you think?"

See, that was my mistake - asking someone who isn't going to actually DO anything "what he thinks."

He said, "I think we should have an estate sale."

I said, "Oh, let's talk about that. I think what you really mean is that while my husband is home for two weeks - since you know he works two weeks and then is home two weeks - he and I, and he's in his sixties, should organize an estate sale. He and I should tag everything in the house, then he and I should do all the advertising, then he and I should sit at the sale for three or four days, in two different spots in the house, and he and I should help people haul things out to their vehicles, and then I should split the proceeds with you, since Mom is never going to spend all her money, and what's left over will be divided among the heirs. So basically if we make $2000, my husband and I will do all this for $1000. That's what you mean when you say WE. Right?"

Long silence. Then he slowly said, "I see what you're talking about."

He's got that "we" stuff down pat. "We" need to check on facilities. "We" need to be sure Mom doesn't get a bed sore. "We" need to go visit Mom. "We" need to go check on why she's not answering her phone. Except that "we" never do anything - it's always just ME.

I mean, Mom and Dad are both gone now, and I don't regret helping them at all, but I didn't let my brother get away with that "we" stuff not one single time. It wasn't for lack of trying on his part though!

Old 02-25-2019, 09:04 AM

1,600 posts, read 287,931 times
Retiring in August but SO OVER IT NOW! (the work grind)

I have to give myself a pep talk every morning. I do try to count my blessings and live in the moment -- but there are just some moments ....

Old 02-25-2019, 11:37 AM

20,452 posts, read 13,426,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Retiring in August but SO OVER IT NOW! (the work grind)

I have to give myself a pep talk every morning. I do try to count my blessings and live in the moment -- but there are just some moments ....
It helps if you can work a vacation into your life a couple of months before retirement.

I’ve been where you are. Time will pass. It will pass faster now, after the 6 month mark. Keep us posted.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:40 AM

20,452 posts, read 13,426,341 times
I’ve gotten my annual chest cold. Don’t feel too bad yet. But it will probably hang on till we get warm weather.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:09 PM
bjh

28,227 posts, read 23,303,206 times
Stale bread and chips. We live in a country with so much food we can complain about texture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology