Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:09 AM

971 posts, read 688,204 times

Advertisements

I recently met a woman in her mid forties who lives alone in a nice home in the country. I went out with her several times and had a lot of fun with her. A month or so into "dating" I encountered an unusual problem. This woman gets off on constantly housekeeping (I swear literally gets off) and would rather clean house than go out and have fun.

We make plans for the weekend in advance for some form of fun and when the time comes we end up cancelling because she wants to clean the house. It never needs it because of constant cleaning. She invites me to "help" cause cleaning house is "fun" she says.

She gets a six pack, throws on headphones and ipod and goes to town. Scrubs bathroom and kitchen floor that don't need it on her hands and knees. I have never seen anything like it. Tells me, there is nothing sexier than watching a man clean house! If I endure 8 hours or more of this, I am guaranteed to have incredible sex. Housecleaning makes her horny. This came right out of her own mouth.

I have never seen anything like this. I tried to compromise with I will help you clean Saturday if you go have fun with me Sunday, but she always finds an excuse for MORE CLEANING. I am sure this is some form of mental illness but I can't find anything on it.

I was wondering how to get her out of the cleaning mode cause she can be fun. I offered to pay a housekeeper so she had free time, but wouldn't hear of it cause she LOVES to clean. OMG. I have told her repeatedly there is more to life than cleaning house, but it gets me nowhere. I am thinking of making plans (which will fall thru) next weekend and when she says we need to clean house first, tell her sorry, I need to have fun and housecleaning isn't it. Call me when you get done.

Ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 11:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Sounds like obsessive compulsive disorder.

How Clean is "Clean?"

Old 01-17-2016, 07:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I am not sure of the OP's friend has anxiety about not cleaning, and obsessive compulsives seem to me to be anxiety ridden.

I do think she is odd. I am not sure what she thinks she is accomplishing with all the cleaning. If she feel compelled to do this, though, I do think she has some sort of problem. Since the OP can't persuade her to vary her routine, then perhaps she is driven to do this for some reason.

I doubt the OP can change her. She would have to want to change herself.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:05 PM

603 posts, read 622,781 times
This is a common form of OCD/addiction. It may have either biological or psychological origins. It can be changed if the person is motivated to change. Clearly this person is NOT motivated to change, and she is prioritizing her OCD over your relationship. She has made her choice and it's not you. I don't see a future for you together, any more than you would have a future with someone with any other form of addiction who is unmotivated to quit.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:23 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
She is OCD, and keep it in mind that she isn't likely to change, so do a good soul-search to learn if you want to continue with this person or find a way to deal with it. If you like some spontaneity in your life, you will not have it with this person.

We were visiting some friends of my husband last summer and it was my first time meeting them. The house was immaculate. We were sitting on the back deck and I observed the wife several times when she got up to futz with the drawstrings on the blinds, which wasn't needed and I got to the point where I wanted to yell at her to stop fooling with the damn blinds and just SIT! I work for an extreme OCD and that person is sending the rest of us into a early grave.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:12 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
this can run deep

cleaning the house is equated with cleaning the soul....

ive met some ocd nesters .... its never "clean enough"

maybe they need to let go some anchors of the past that makes them feel "dirty"

it can be something superficial too....women are judged by other women (ironically) quite harshly if the house is a mess.. the woman gets the blame,,,not the guy

or maybe she grew up in a messy house- or the flipside... very very strict parents on cleaning,,, or maybe she was poor growing up ,,,but poor doesn't mean dirty

this isn't so bad a behavior.... its cheaper than going out to eat.... and while its some sort of addictive
behavior,,,it isn't harmful,,as in any substances ingested

if she great in all other areas then shes a keeper...

Old 01-19-2016, 06:22 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
sounds like OCD to me.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:35 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
I'd like to hire someone like her. The people at the professional cleaning companies act as if they're being tortured when doing their jobs.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 AM

971 posts, read 688,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
this can run deep

cleaning the house is equated with cleaning the soul....

ive met some ocd nesters .... its never "clean enough"

maybe they need to let go some anchors of the past that makes them feel "dirty"

it can be something superficial too....women are judged by other women (ironically) quite harshly if the house is a mess.. the woman gets the blame,,,not the guy

or maybe she grew up in a messy house- or the flipside... very very strict parents on cleaning,,, or maybe she was poor growing up ,,,but poor doesn't mean dirty

this isn't so bad a behavior.... its cheaper than going out to eat.... and while its some sort of addictive
behavior,,,it isn't harmful,,as in any substances ingested

if she great in all other areas then shes a keeper...
The mother cleaned houses for a living and she says their house was spotless. Every time the mother comes to visit she goes on an eight hour cleaning frenzy so when the mother comes the place passes inspection.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I agree with others. If you don't want to accept her "warts and all", find someone else. No housekeeper in the world could help the problem and chances of her seeing a problem and wanting therapy to work through it aren't good at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology