Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 11:01 PM

867 posts, read 456,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
LOL! That would've freaked me out, like at least see what was going on and then skedaddle out of there.
I curse at myself frequently, but only in private or around friends.

l pat myself on the back all the time when l do well. Especially say at the times l'm driving back from delivering the job l'm all paid up and might have 10k in a nice white envelope sitting on the console , tell myself well done man well done- your an eXXg legend. Sometimes l even give my own pat on the back , which is quite hard actually

But eh - should hear what l call myself when l eXX up, l have like this whole sentence of about 20 names and insults l call myself but eh, it's all in fun ahh, mostly. That might depend on the pay for that job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2023, 09:46 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
When I talk to myself in my brain my hands do make gestures.
Do your hands ever use a whiteboard during these discussions? Asking for an imaginary friend.

Old 10-14-2023, 11:09 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
what is the psychology of people who talk to themselves?

Not sure. Let me ask Mightyqueen801. She'll know.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:51 PM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
what is the psychology of people who talk to themselves?

Not sure. Let me ask Mightyqueen801. She'll know.
Lol, just too funny

I didn't read this old post... TLDR.

My mom talks to herself (low talk) but it's only occasionally and when at home. She's definitely getting dementia and I think she needs to talk to herself to figure things out. I won't worry unless she starts to talk back to herself?

Anyhoo, I talk to myself sometimes to figure stuff out. I wonder if I'm getting quacky when I do it in public and not even realize it.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:56 PM

2,135 posts, read 1,204,217 times
I talk to myself all the time. No different than thinking out loud. The vocalization part does not make this a psy issue, this is why psy is not really a thing. so sorry to burst your bubble ....

Old 10-16-2023, 10:39 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
My mother said "people who talk to themselves have money in the bank."

I have not been able to find the origin of that phrase. I imagine it stems from living through the Great Depression as a teenager/young adult.

I have always talked to myself, even when I had no money in the bank.

I also talk to my TV, my computer, my dog, other drivers (especially other drivers LOL).

The advantage of talking to myself is that I have a captive audience and get no argument.

Old 10-18-2023, 01:53 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,039,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
We probably all do that sometimes to a certain degree. But sometimes I see extreme cases of people sitting there having a conversation with themselves. I remember one guy in Madison Wisconsin that I saw sitting in a coffee shop having an animated discussion and when I past by and looked at what would be the other person there wasn't anyone. He was talking like someone was sitting there.
Bluetooth earbuds. Or he could have been talking to a ghostly figure that only he could see. I'm pretty sure it was the earbuds.

Old 10-19-2023, 05:32 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,264,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
I talk to myself all the time. No different than thinking out loud. The vocalization part does not make this a psy issue, this is why psy is not really a thing. so sorry to burst your bubble ....

So do I. Used to jokingly say it was because I knew I wouldn't argue with me.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:42 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Generic statement- having an inner dialogue can be very helpful. It's not weird to talk to yourself, or talk yourself through stressful situations.

Old 10-20-2023, 02:02 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,794 times
As a Sigma male and an introvert, I’m trying to think of a time when I don’t talk to myself. It may not be audible out loud discussion but I’m always talking to myself.

It’s usually a good thing tho. I am always questioning things and trying to think critically.

Take MSM. I will listen to a subject and then break it down, look at it from different angles and make up my own mind about a topic instead of being led in one direction or another. There would be many discussions going on in my head then.

I’d much rather be this way then no discussion at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology