Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 04:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,931,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Vocalization (or subvocalization) is a common thought mode. Some people are convinced that it is not possible to think without using words.
This is me. I think out loud, especially if I am rushed. Some times DH interprets this as an action item for him. But usually I am going over something in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 04:09 PM

412 posts, read 448,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I only do it when I want an intelligent conversation.
Man, what a straight line, but I'll resist.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:34 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,044,994 times
I used to do that when imagining how I would have fixed some mistake I made interacting with other people. The mistake works just enter my mind, sometimes something irrelevant or unimportant from 5-10 years before. I forced myself to stop because I realized that I was never alone.

I doubt this is normal tho... I guess I did it because I was socially awkward, I dunno. Embarrassing memories always came back to me and I would dismiss the memories because "it was a long time ago" even if it was a recent event.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:31 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,392,674 times
Its only if they talk back that theres a problem!

Old 01-29-2016, 02:21 AM

6,610 posts, read 3,634,734 times
Default planation

I have not yet seen an explanation of what is behind one speaking to oneself, but appears pretty common, so I feel better now.

(Uh, I do not know how "planation" ended up there on left, but being part of the word "explanation" while posting - I just don't know what I hit accidentally to make that happen).

Old 03-06-2023, 10:00 AM

2,108 posts, read 1,297,641 times
I know this is an old thread from more than seven years ago. I just saw it now. I was curious and clicked on it. I feel related somewhat though.

Reading this thread, from many posters, I could not help but laughing so hard with tears running down, and I had to hold my tummy. That is true. And I was thinking if somebody saw me laughing by myself so hard, that person might think I was crazy. LOL.

Here, for me, I confess that there were times in the office, while working on the computer, when I was logging in many times and I could not connect to the company's server, I knew I typed in the right pw, then I said to myself "What's wrong here?" Or there were times I made a mistake in typing an email, I said "Oh, no." my co-worker in the next cubicle asked "What happened?" I told her what happened. But I knew she might have thought there was something wrong with me because I talked to myself. So, in my mind, I had to remind myself not to speak out loud what's in my head. Especially, not to swear out loud when I feel upset or frustrating. LOL. That, I would be in trouble because no one can swear at work.

I noticed a few other staff in high professional positions talked to themselves too. Other staff laughed at/with them. Everybody laughed.

To the poster #35, I don't know if this is an explanation, but I've noticed that most extroverts talk a lot to people, so they don't talk to themselves that much when they are in public. But for introverts, they don't talk with others so much, but they think a lot, their minds are busy constantly, and lots of them talk out loud what are in their minds to themselves. People want or have to express their opinions or feelings in some ways. Maybe when the extroverts are with no one around, they talk to themselves too. Who knows?

Talking to one's self seems weird. But it's not uncommon.

Old 03-06-2023, 11:56 AM

5,587 posts, read 3,013,050 times
He may have been talking on the phone via bluetooth plugged in to his ear.

It IS kind of disconcerting listening to someone in animated conversation by themselves, but then I see the blue tooth thingy, and it's like "Oh, OK."

Old 03-06-2023, 03:31 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,033,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I talk to the tv and tell the commercials they're stupid.
I'm convinced my car navigation lady is a Right Wing Leftist because she keeps telling me to "Exit Right, Then Keep Left"....

Or this....

Me: "Voice Command"...
Garmin Lady: "Say A Command"....
Me: "Find Place"....
Garmin Lady "Speak The Name Of A Place"....
Me: "Walmart".....
Garmin Lady: "Did You Say "Wall Art?"....
Me: "No, WALMART"....
Garmin Lady: "Did You Say "Fall Cart?"...
Me: "NO..NO...WWAAALLLMMMAAARRRTTT"....
Garmin Lady: "Did You Say "Ball Part"?....

Me: ....

Thank Goodness for hands free cell phones, I can now talk to myself a mile a minute when driving and anyone seeing me just thinks I'm on the phone....

Old 03-06-2023, 05:56 PM

4,168 posts, read 3,360,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
We probably all do that sometimes to a certain degree. But sometimes I see extreme cases of people sitting there having a conversation with themselves. I remember one guy in Madison Wisconsin that I saw sitting in a coffee shop having an animated discussion and when I past by and looked at what would be the other person there wasn't anyone. He was talking like someone was sitting there.
He probably had a bluetooth device.

I talk to myself when alone. Sometimes.

Old 03-06-2023, 06:03 PM

9,214 posts, read 10,977,206 times
Well, what do I think? Should I talk to me or should I talk to me? Do I answer?

Nobody knows.

What? Who said that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology