Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 07:19 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
We probably all do that sometimes to a certain degree. But sometimes I see extreme cases of people sitting there having a conversation with themselves. I remember one guy in Madison Wisconsin that I saw sitting in a coffee shop having an animated discussion and when I past by and looked at what would be the other person there wasn't anyone. He was talking like someone was sitting there.
I chock up most self-conversations to the isolation most were forced to endure between 2020 and 2022. Surely, the isolation gave many of us reason to converse with ourselves.

One additional observation: I've noticed maskless people speaking beneath their breath as if they were still wearing a mask. While recently at an airport, I ordered 2 pieces of toast. It took 3 trips to the counter to get the toast I had ordered from the young, disinterested server. Somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd trips to the counter, I observed the young server say to herself, "I'm not doing anything today." She probably forgot that she wasn't wearing a mask to cover her comments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 02:09 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I can be my own psycologist..."Why did you do that? What were you thinking?", "Are you sure that's the
best choice?"'Calm down, it's going to be okay, you can do this".......works for me.
This is more my speed.

I prefer to call it "thinking out loud". When I verbalize things out loud, it helps me to work them out.

I read somewhere that people who "think out loud" (i.e. talk to themselves) are actually more intelligent. I also think that those of us that have an ongoing internal dialogue tend to be the "out loud" thinkers.

Not everybody has that going on. I once asked my Mother if she ever talked to herself out loud. She lives alone. She said no she never has. I can't imagine that. Just being by yourself, and never, ever speaking out loud. About anything. Not even "now what the heck did I do with my keys"..

Old 03-23-2023, 07:18 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
We probably all do that sometimes to a certain degree. But sometimes I see extreme cases of people sitting there having a conversation with themselves. I remember one guy in Madison Wisconsin that I saw sitting in a coffee shop having an animated discussion and when I past by and looked at what would be the other person there wasn't anyone. He was talking like someone was sitting there.
People who do that, it and have a cup of coffee in public, while having a conversation with themselves, are generally unmedicated.

There is "talking to yourself" like the man in Madison, which is a clear indication that something is out of whack, usually psychosis of some type. Same goes for people who have conversations or mumble while walking down a city street.

Then there are people who "think out loud". They say things like "oh I think I left it in the car" or "where the hell did I put that??" while at home.

The second group is also less likely to "think out loud" when not in the confines of their own home.

Some people think out loud more than others.

Old 03-24-2023, 02:39 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
I talk to my cats more than myself

Old 03-24-2023, 04:20 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
I call it "thinking out loud".....

It's harmless if you and your dialogue are not directing any harm towards people.

Whatever gets you through, I say....

Old 03-26-2023, 11:10 AM

257 posts, read 165,682 times
I always do it when I am doing toolbox sort of work alone. Keeps me on track.

Old 03-26-2023, 11:49 AM

2,135 posts, read 1,204,217 times
Thing is ... we all here are just tap dancing on the key board, nakie. We are not the problem. The problem is all those preverts watching us!! OOOOpsie did I say that out loud?

Old 03-27-2023, 09:31 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
What do you mean talking to myself?

Who are those kooks anyway, talking about talking?

I don't know, what do I think?

I think what I think, I think, which is what I should think. Did I bring this up, or did I?

Who cares?

Old 03-28-2023, 08:37 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
There is no "psychology" involved. I imagine everybody does it, even if they don't realize it.

Sometimes it's by design and helps jog the memory. I had two occasions just this week where I had a running conversation with myself because I couldn't find something.

Sometimes, it's involuntary. I defy anybody to deny that they have ever suddenly cussed out loud at another driver who made a dumb move.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:07 PM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 24 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,300 times
When I was a kid, I was led to believe only nutty people talked to themselves.

When I became older, I also became wiser and realized this isn't true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology