Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 09:44 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but sometimes people with ADHD will do this. I am one of those people, but aware enough to control it in public. One of my colleagues also has ADHD, and she is constantly talking or vocalizing - like literally every minute of the day. I've worked with her for almost 11 years, so I know how to differentiate between talking to herself vs talking to one of us. But we had a new employee once who didn't know this, and she asked me "Am I supposed to respond to her?" Haha, no. Just ignore her unless she's obviously directing it at you.

We all have our quirks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 12:20 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,026 times
these days, crazy people can leave a Apple Airpod or a Jabra in one ear and nobody would think they are NOT having a conversation with the Unseen Other we can't see. Maybe 25+ years ago you couldnt get away with this so much.

But I wouldnt automatically "jump to the conclusion" that talking to yourself is bad or wrong or abnormal, because 100s of millions of people do it all the time.

it's one thing to mutter a simple question outloud:
"where did I leave my keys?"
"what's due today at work!?!" "what time is my first meeting?"
"you &%#(# where'd you learn how to drive! I bet youre drunk-AF!"

but if you have a compulsion where you CONSTANTLY talk to yourself, and HEAR answers to yourself, oblivious to others who ARE in the same room, and you CANT switch it off, and constantly have intrusive thoughts... maybe you are a little off.

However, I can think of MANY scenarios in which you can have lengthy "conversations with yourself". If an invisble person could observe you (survellience cam these day?) you'd look certifiably nuts.

1. isnt this very forum a form of conversation with yourself? You'll think of something, post it, allegiedly a 1000 people might read it, but no one will like or comment or quote what you say. So its like talking to yourself - in abstract summation.

2. are you always a silent reader? or do you mouth outloud the words you are reading especially if its a difficult or unfamilar passage? What if your reading outloud takes on the form of a DEBATE, where you adopt different voices for the Pro and Con sections of a persuasive article?

3. Plato's writings, which arguably form the basis for Western Civilization and Democracy, are written in the form of a dialogue or conversation.

4. What if you're a YouTuber, a method Actor trying to affect a British or Australian or Bronx or Chicano accent, practicing for a job interview, gonna ask someone out on a date, what if you make a 60min blog entry for your podcast where its just YOU continously talking into a microphone? What if you have a really sweet honey-voice because you are a VoiceOver actor or radio DJ? Dont tell me Ryan Seacrest or Howard Stern or Casey Kasem dont have A THOUSAND HOURS of demo tapes from the early part of their career where they were essentially just practicing the sound of their voice, interviewing a fictional guest with likely questions, tightly modulating their projection, pronunciation, timing and enthusiasm of the sound of their voice - for no live audience. I think MOST comedians practice the delivery outloud of their jokes and monologues.

5. I myself, talk to my plants when I water them, talk to rabbits, birds and squirrels when I go out in the yard, talk to insects like butterflys, praying mantis and ladybugs - but I have no expectation that they will answer back. Do they even speak english? probably not - but that doesnt stop us from saying complex things to cats and dogs.

6. ever talk to God or Angels or the Devil in the form of a Prayer or a Plea? Ever talk to your (grandfather or grandmother) who has long since passed away? They dont talk back, but in my subconscious I think or imagine or fantasize that they can hear me. I might even imagine what their responses might be, if they could talk back to me.

7. so professional psychological, social psychology and sociological research on this topic and various articles:

american journal of psychotherapy:
https://psychotherapy.psychiatryonli....2012.66.4.331

book, imaginary social worlds:
https://www.proquest.com/openview/53...ar&cbl=1818101

[ I actually knew the guy who wrote this one ] -
Divine relations, social relations, and well-being '(Persons interact in imagination, however, with a wide range of others who may or may not actually exist. In modern societies as in traditional societies, persons experience, interact with, and appeal to spiritual or divine beings.)'
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2470806/

When God is your only friend:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jopy.12401

reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...conversations/

quora:
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-healthy-...tate-look-like

wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_Conversations

Old 04-04-2023, 02:22 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times
The psychology is pretty similar to 80% of the original posters of threads seeking advice. They want to talk something out and really aren't seeking advice.

Its normal for young pre-school children to do it. Some people continue to do it.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 1,322 times
Our society decides what normal is. Funny that we think talking to ourselves is abnormal. I wonder if we stop viewing it as strange, would people talk to themselves more? BTW, talking to yourself is a good way to practice a second/third, etc., language. I would also say maybe people, under a lonly and unsupported circumstance, would find reassurance in talking to themselves. Just a psychic thing to do to soothe oneself mentally.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:55 AM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
When I talk to myself in my brain my hands do make gestures.
Do your hands sign to each other?

Old 08-31-2023, 09:56 AM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I talk to my cats more than myself
And they talk back to you in Cat.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:35 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
Actually, (if it hasn't been mentioned yet), lots of folks with zero internal dialogue are seen talking to themselves - both sides.

If you're one of the folks who "practice" or "rehearse" important conversations in your head before having them - say, with your boss - you should know that a large chunk of the population is unable to do that. No inner dialogue. You might be one, but if you're not, you certainly know one - funny thing is, folks both think the other side is lying.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:50 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Sorry, the missing h was bugging me. I fixed it.

Old 09-03-2023, 06:16 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think it's quit normal to talk to yourself.
It is.
Now if you find that you interrupt or argue with yourself....

And there is a huge difference between talking to yourself out loud, and conversing/ranting to an invisible audience. IMO that's where the confusion with mental health issues come in.

Old 09-05-2023, 04:00 PM

867 posts, read 456,506 times
Read up on research and you find it's quite normal, even healthy, and does serve some healthy purposes with a normally sane person.
But l tell ya, sometimes l wonder about myself 50s and still doing it if l'm alone. l've been trying to stop it all my life bc when you realize you've just been doing it, it might even be at normal speaking volume, you feel as though your as mad as a hatter.
Man l've had some embarrassing times when someone's walked in or past.
One night 11ish l was out the front on the porch in the dark my w was in bed inside l'd had a really frustrating long day, not with her , someone else. Well l'm literally going through the convo normal volume even louder on the frustrating bits,prob 15mins, and this couple from up the street n heading home from the pub walked past , they just like appeared bc it was a really dark night. Man, one of the most embarrassing moments ever, l look up to the walkway and see them , down on my porch was dark but they'd see l was alone, jezuz.
Not only but l realized later on my w was prob awake in bed listening to me too, and even worse, l forgot to ask her next day and talk about it ha, prob thought l'd gone mad. Mind you, she use to talk to herself too haha.

My mum use to walk round the house having convo's with herself right in front of us, no one batted an eyelid we were use to it.
l think it's our thoughts that just turn into voice and next minute we're talking it instead of thinking it. But some of us with sort of more personality than others just get a bit carried away where as the more reserved say tighter type personality are use to not saying much anyway so least of all out loud when alone- just a theory.
Anyway, been told many times l'm quite sane haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology