Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 11:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldskryke View Post
And how many women ignore their family, children and relationships for the above?

At least women don't feel the need to escape into a fantasy world. Whereas men need their adolescent male power fantasy.
This ex-bf must have really hurt you. Maybe you should address him as an individual instead of this sub group of men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 02:05 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldskryke View Post
And how many women ignore their family, children and relationships for the above?

At least women don't feel the need to escape into a fantasy world. Whereas men need their adolescent male power fantasy.
Implying that there aren't women who DON'T ignore their family, children and relationships.

Fact is, some women are obsessed with reading, binge watching TV shows and shopping just as much as some guys are with video games and sports.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:57 AM

605 posts, read 490,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Also, they have historically marketed toward men, so it only makes sense that more men would be addicted than women.
They have historically marketed towards men for the same reason that sports equipment companies have historically marketed towards men. Although I liked the overall content/tone of your post, I doth suspect you have the causality backwards on this one.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I'm confused, do you hate sports, video games, or men in general? I'm a man who gets completely obsessed with things to the point I ignore my marriage, family, kids, hygiene etc. so I can't decide which thing I'm supposed to be outraged by.
funny stuff

Old 01-29-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Wife: "What are you thinking about, honey?"
Husband: "Nothing."
Wife: "Really, what are you thinking about?"
Husband: "Nothing."
Wife: "Why won't you tell me what you're thinking about?"

I think women never believe that very often men are truly thinking about absolutely nothing.

Sometimes my daughter would make a bad decision. I'd ask her, "What in the world were you thinking?" She'd then give me a ten minute dissertation about her logical path to that bad decision.

My son would make a bad decision. I'd ask him, "What in the world were you thinking?" He'd answer, "I dunno."

And I knew he was telling me the truth, 'cause I'm a man, too.
I must be a man with something closer to a stereotypically female brain, then. Once, when my mind was racing and I was beset by anxiety, my best male friend (circa 2006), a possessor of a Zen master-esque demeanor, said to me, "Can't you just think of nothing?" For the rest of that day, I spent much of my time thinking about how unfathomable it was (to me) to think of absolutely nothing. I am never thinking about nothing except when I'm depressed by all the thinking I typically am consumed by; the idea of it seems like a form of contentment I'll never enjoy. And given your hypothetical son/daughter scenario, I'm going to be more like your daughter (although sometimes I might have that sort of explanation lined up but don't feel the need/desire to share it, which I suppose/suspect may often be the case for males who offer "I dunno" in lieu of an explanation).

Old 01-29-2016, 07:28 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Many women are so obsessed with their looks they forget what really matters. Very few women change the world because they are simply too obsessed with being beautiful or being socially accepted.

Most women act as if looks is the only thing that determines where they stand in the food chain. It really isn't and if you let men dictate that and support it by playing into it.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:18 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
That's really unfair. There are many men who are just as focused on their families or other priorities, who don't get obsessed with things like video games. There are also plenty of women who get obsessed with things like Facebook, their kids (yes, that IS a bad thing because they become so obsessed with what is going on with little Susie or Timmy that they neglect their husbands, friends, other priorities), or other distractions.

While we are on the subject of video games, you do realize that there is a lot of research showing that they can be addictive, right? Also, they have historically marketed toward men, so it only makes sense that more men would be addicted than women.

It's a shame that you have such negative views toward men. I can tell you from personal experience that it's much more freeing to let go of the bitterness and just focus on the person, not the gender.

And if you tend to surround yourself with these types of people who make you see things that way, that's on you a little bit, too. Surround yourself with quality people and you won't be so frustrated with the opposite sex.
Agreed. I send the emotion that women tend to get way more obsessed with their kids than men do with video games. Even though raising children should be a very important part of every parent's life, it is unhealthy to spend every waking moment obsessing about every move your child makes. And a lot of moms do this, particularly stay at home moms. Everything in moderation, even parenting.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:21 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
People with cell phone addiction are far more worse then video game addicts.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:46 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
They have historically marketed towards men for the same reason that sports equipment companies have historically marketed towards men. Although I liked the overall content/tone of your post, I doth suspect you have the causality backwards on this one.
What "causality"? She's merely observing that the games are mainly designed for boys/men, therefore more men than women will be engaged in them, therefore the addiction issues to those products will be predominantly among males. It's a good observation, and her point, as I understood it, was that it's not some mysterious male failing, as the OP would have us believe. There's been marketing and the psychology of product design to target a certain demographic, involved.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:48 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
People with cell phone addiction are far more worse then video game addicts.
Haha! /thread! j Cell phones & related devices really seem to bring out the OCD tendencies in young humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology