Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:02 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
welcome to the internet, kid

Kid ?
Gotta love it !
Maybe it's more like, welcome to Dinero's world where he would lay a trap for people so he can show them how deceptive he is because that's how one display's intellect ?
Or, are you just socially anxious and depressed and that's a manifestation of the effort to neutralize this unwanted behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 07:12 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times
There are many different types of intelligences.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:31 AM

183 posts, read 269,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Kid ?
Gotta love it !
Maybe it's more like, welcome to Dinero's world where he would lay a trap for people so he can show them how deceptive he is because that's how one display's intellect ?
Or, are you just socially anxious and depressed and that's a manifestation of the effort to neutralize this unwanted behavior.
The problem is your focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid like you I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck

Old 02-15-2016, 12:05 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,997 times
Quote:
The problem is your focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid like you I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck

Your arrogance and condescendence know no limits.
It reminds me of a biker club that I used to be a member of when I was your age.
For one, I'm not a kid, I'm a grandparent and probably am old enough to be your parent.
No worries about you being rude, I can handle verbal abuse and really have no need for your pity.
My few brain cells that I do have left really have no need for the knowledge that you have given out, but thanks for the offer.

Now that we've established our rules for engagement, the facts are that I do find you extremely entertaining about your focus on the things in life that really matter.

So, keep on not letting the facts get in the way of your good story.
I look forward to your dispersal of your trinkets of wisdom.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:33 PM

59 posts, read 65,816 times
It's entirely possible that the same genes that confer intelligence are also responsible for a number of heritable mental disorders, or predisposition to developing acquired ones. The data is still lacking but it certainly hasn't been ruled out. Exceptional intelligence itself is of course an anomaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Bullsh*t, the fact that your mind doesn't rest means you're using your resources wrong, which means you're actually less aware of things that actually matter as you're focusing on a false threats.
I think this is a gross generalisation.

Someone very close to me has SAD as well as a tested IQ above the highest accurately quantifiable limit. His mind literally never stops working, causing trouble with sleep and daily functioning. He's actually a very discerning person, hardly someone distracted by "false threats", at least not consciously. He's also empathic, self-aware, and well-attuned to the world and people around him.

I wouldn't say he uses his resources wrong, I'd say he's more likely just using more of his resources, more of the time—to an extent the majority of us do not, which just by itself can be a source of social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I ask because IQ is said to be static, yet the sentenced snipped above says (not implies) that higher levels of intelligence can be had via continuous cognitive processes. Perhaps I'm making a leap?

The idea of raising IQ has always interested me, and I disagree with the notion that one is born in a static state of IQ. I wonder if general views about IQ are beginning to change, so I ask.
IQ is rather volatile during the years when the brain is maturing, becoming stable in adulthood and often (but not always) declining a bit with age. An adult can improve IQ somewhat by exercising and nourishing the brain, but research to date suggests the improvement you can make is modest. This makes sense, as it's fairly well-accepted that cognitive capacity is largely determined by genetics. A person with an IQ in the normal range won't become gifted by playing games on Lumosity and the like. Still, it's worth the while to keep your brain as flexible as possible.

Read up on neuroplasticity. There's a lot of interesting work being done in that area.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:56 AM

964 posts, read 994,010 times
Even if you narrow it down to social anxiety, I don't buy this. The way to test the hypothesis is to administer IQ tests to the shut-ins and other marginally functional people with social anxiety. It would not pan out. Social anxiety is not a function of high IQ, that's absurd.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:04 PM

964 posts, read 994,010 times
Quote:
The article doesn't say that social anxiety leads to higher intelligence, but having a very active mind that never rest. Socially anxious people are always analizing situations and people. It doesnt mean all socially anxious people are highly intelligent, but many intelligent and geniuses suffer from some form of social dissability, such as shyness, anxiety, introversion, aspergers, autism, etc
Not necessarily. Some are simply crippled with fear. And "analyzing" is not proof of high IQ. The quality of that "analysis" isn't very high, in most cases of social anxiety. Introversion is not a "social disability". Most introverts are social. They' just don't put in as much time being social as extroverts.

Do you know any geniuses OP? I do, and most are very social and some are extremely extroverted. Even the more quiet ones are sociable in their own spheres. Some started out as shy kids, but overcame it as they matured. Your reasoning gives the impression of grasping at straws to shore up your thesis. It doesn't make sense.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurPan View Post
I think this is a gross generalisation.

Someone very close to me has SAD as well as a tested IQ above the highest accurately quantifiable limit. His mind literally never stops working, causing trouble with sleep and daily functioning. He's actually a very discerning person, hardly someone distracted by "false threats", at least not consciously. He's also empathic, self-aware, and well-attuned to the world and people around him.

I wouldn't say he uses his resources wrong, I'd say he's more likely just using more of his resources, more of the time—to an extent the majority of us do not, which just by itself can be a source of social anxiety.
So then, this person's having problems due to his hard-working mind not giving him a rest...
Anyway, I think I explained myself poorly; I don't correlate a mind that doesn't stop working with using its resources wrong, if they're constantly thinking about something constructive then that's fine.
But the mind of a socially anxious person isn't so much thinking about constructive things, but rather analyzing the ways in which everything can go wrong for them. It might be a huge display of imagination and creativity, but it's being put to use in the most useless way.

Also I don't mean to say that using your resources wrong will forcibly lead you to be distracted (Although I'm not sure using a high IQ person as an example is even fair, most of us are average, our brains just don't compare), but you won't be able to pay as much attention to everything else. It's wasted potential.

Wouldn't it be better to be able to focus on something rewarding and useful, rather than keep thinking about the thousands of ways in which you could mess up?
Not surprisingly, the therapy for social anxiety goes along those ways. It tries to teach you to redirect those stupid thoughs into something constructive.

Last edited by Arigarisha; 02-19-2016 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Re-read my past post and added clarification. Blah blah blah.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:15 PM

59 posts, read 65,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
So then, this person's having problems due to his hard-working mind not giving him a rest...
Anyway, I think I explained myself poorly; I don't correlate a mind that doesn't stop working with using its resources wrong, if they're constantly thinking about something constructive then that's fine.
But the mind of a socially anxious person isn't so much thinking about constructive things, but rather analyzing the ways in which everything can go wrong for them. It might be a huge display of imagination and creativity, but it's being put to use in the most useless way.

Also I don't mean to say that using your resources wrong will forcibly lead you to be distracted (Although I'm not sure using a high IQ person as an example is even fair, most of us are average, our brains just don't compare), but you won't be able to pay as much attention to everything else. It's wasted potential.

Wouldn't it be better to be able to focus on something rewarding and useful, rather than keep thinking about the thousands of ways in which you could mess up?
Not surprisingly, the therapy for social anxiety goes along those ways. It tries to teach you to redirect those stupid thoughs into something constructive.
Gotcha. I chose this particular friend as an example because Dinero's original post was about the link between high IQ and social anxiety/SAD.

With the acknowledgement that not all people with social anxiety are necessarily of exceptional intelligence, it makes sense to me that a person who does have a very high IQ would be prone to having the problem. I'm not sure I agree with the assertions in Dinero's original post that it would necessarily be about elevated psycho-social awareness, though. I would rather suspect it has to do with being hyper-aware of being very different from others, which doesn't require much empathic understanding.

Something I find curious about the material Dinero posted is that it fails to take into account that a significant percentage of people with high IQ are neurodiverse (Asperger's, etc.) or at the very least have alexithymia (basically, significant social blindness), so they actually aren't as likely to be very sensitive to psycho-social nuances. So why the researchers who did these studies would choose to focus solely on the other portion of the high-IQ crowd is a mystery, as it all paints a very imperfect picture of any relationship between IQ and social anxiety.

And while I'm on it—when I mentioned this thread to my aforementioned friend, the first thing out of his mouth was that IQ measures practical aspects of cognition: short-term memory, reasoning and verbal ability. It has nothing to do with "higher awareness of the surrounding environment and people." Good point from the genius!

I'm liking the basis of this thread less and less.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:18 AM

370 posts, read 654,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Many years ago I had an older professor who had apparently attended at least one of Einstein's lectures at some point during his college days. The prof told me that at one lecture Einstein did not like the necktie he was expected to wear and he promptly removed it as the straight-laced audience looked on in astonishment.

I've met several highly productive biologists during my career in government who very obviously had high I.Q.'s. However, almost every one of them had terrible social skills. One, whose name you would likely recognize, was so introverted that he would walk to his office in the morning while facing the wall so as to avoid personal contacts. Molly Beattie, the head of the US Fish and Wildlife Service under Bill Clinton, may have unknowingly touched on the subject when she once said something to the effect that wildlife people very often prefer animals to people.
So who is this biologist we would recognize?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology