Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 01:01 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,773,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
People can plan for awhile and move. No, lots of people can't do it immediately, but others moan and whine for years and never do anything.
Sometimes it takes years to get into a position where you can move. I am stuck in OKC until 2020 whether I like it or not. By the time I am finished, I will have lost eight years of my life. That's not an easy pill to swallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:29 PM

3,115 posts, read 2,173,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Sometimes it takes years to get into a position where you can move. I am stuck in OKC until 2020 whether I like it or not. By the time I am finished, I will have lost eight years of my life. That's not an easy pill to swallow.
Sometimes people can find a way to increase their income via career promotions and smart investing or lower their expenses, and thus achieve their preconditions for relocation sooner. Life has a way of throwing unexpected curveballs at us, and just for argument's sake, what if your current job was eliminated and there were no suitable openings in Oklahoma City, but several in another place where you would rather reside? Sure, most employers prioritize local candidates, but if you have the right combination of skills and experience that they can't find in their area, doors may start opening up. Just a hypothetical situation.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Sometimes people can find a way to increase their income via career promotions and smart investing or lower their expenses, and thus achieve their preconditions for relocation sooner. Life has a way of throwing unexpected curveballs at us, and just for argument's sake, what if your current job was eliminated and there were no suitable openings in Oklahoma City, but several in another place where you would rather reside? Sure, most employers prioritize local candidates, but if you have the right combination of skills and experience that they can't find in their area, doors may start opening up. Just a hypothetical situation.
I really cannot lower my expenses to save more. I was stupid and took out a massive car loan that is a noose around my neck. If my current job in OKC was eliminated, I would have to just pick a city and hope for the best, and hope that two months of savings would be enough. I would have to take a pay cut if I stayed in OKC and given my debt and auto payment, I can't afford to do that. I won't be able to find a job elsewhere without living there so I'll have to just move. I could justify it if I was unemployed.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:30 PM

3,115 posts, read 2,173,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I really cannot lower my expenses to save more. I was stupid and took out a massive car loan that is a noose around my neck. If my current job in OKC was eliminated, I would have to just pick a city and hope for the best, and hope that two months of savings would be enough. I would have to take a pay cut if I stayed in OKC and given my debt and auto payment, I can't afford to do that. I won't be able to find a job elsewhere without living there so I'll have to just move. I could justify it if I was unemployed.
Sorry about your situation, and I certainly understand it is difficult to obtain jobs outside your current location, and personal commitments can make it difficult to move for many people. But it's still true that you have some degree of control over your income and expenses. I'd focus on finding ways to earn and save money and eventually you will have more options. There is no guarantee the life you want has to be placed on hold for four years.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Sorry about your situation, and I certainly understand it is difficult to obtain jobs outside your current location, and personal commitments can make it difficult to move for many people. But it's still true that you have some degree of control over your income and expenses. I'd focus on finding ways to earn and save money and eventually you will have more options. There is no guarantee the life you want has to be placed on hold for four years.
I'll have to slowly get there. I am really kicking myself because I bought a car on impulse in 2014 and that has basically strapped me down. I could leave right now had I not have purchased that car. I have disliked Oklahoma City from day one so it isn't like moving wasn't already on my mind when I bought the car. It was absolutely the dumbest mistake of my entire life. Until I can finally leave I have to make the best of my life here, which some days is easier than others.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:26 AM

21,695 posts, read 12,753,449 times
Seriously; you're trapped because of a car? Sell the car (I can just hear Dave Ramsey going off on you now). Buy some old Japanese subcompact when you get wherever you're going...

Old 02-29-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Seriously; you're trapped because of a car? Sell the car (I can just hear Dave Ramsey going off on you now). Buy some old Japanese subcompact when you get wherever you're going...
Can't sell the car when I owe over $10,000 more on it than it is worth. I've looked into every possible way to get out of it, and its either waiting it out or defaulting. Those are my only two options.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,342 times
Unhappy Bay Area to SD

I hate where I live too (los gatos specifically, San Jose area). I lived in San Diego with my ex and loved it but was forced to move back in January when we broke up due to financial reasons.

I want to move back to San Diego in January 2017, but I'm scared I won't find a good salary + benefits job. It's hard to get a job without a San Diego address I'm also only 25 years old. I really don't want to stick it out in my current company for an entire year because that would back my move up to June 2017..... but it's my first sales job so I know I need the experience

I truly HATE it here though. Aside from the 5 months I lived in San Diego, I've lived in Los Gatos my ENTIRE life.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:32 PM

894 posts, read 584,756 times
I've re-located several times in the last twenty years. Right now, I'm living in my husband's hometown which I don't like that much. Sometimes I feel trapped too living in this town. Very little to do here except go to the library or church. Nothing against either of those place but I just wish we'd moved to a different town.

Here, in his hometown, it's just so darn depressing and it's weird: a LOT of the people here are either on crack or alcoholics. I think they're probably just looking for an escape so they feel less depressed that they live here. Even my husband says this town's heyday is long over and that it's just a shell of itself now.

The overall area of the state is ok; it's just this town that I don't like much due to how depressing it is and also due to the fact that very few job opportunities exist here. Hubby moved away thirty years ago but now he insists that he wants to live here because this is where he grew up and where most of his family is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology