Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:51 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

You're just a snowflake who's more special than the rest....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 12:34 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
Unlike many of my 22 year old counterparts who are either in graduate school, traveling abroad, or now working a 30k/year or less job while trying to pay crushing student loan debt, I studied something useful (on my parents dime) and now make a lot. I save a lot as well.

Life now mostly consists of work, some volunteer activity, coupon shopping (it's really time consuming!!!), and sleep. Lots of sleep. I don't have time nor the will to party til last call.

In short, I feel like I'm wasting my 20s by acting like a 30 year old. Everyone in my generation is lost and confused. I feel like a lost little fish.

suggestions?
I feel like this is a thinly veiled compliment-fishing thread.

In any event, you do you.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:37 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
I don't think you really want suggestions...I think you just kind of want to brag.

I'm in my 20s (although a bit older than you) and do not fit into the stereotypical Millennial mold, either. I still didn't feel the need to start a thread to brag about it, though.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:55 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Unlike many of my 22 year old counterparts who are either in graduate school, traveling abroad, or now working a 30k/year or less job while trying to pay crushing student loan debt, I studied something useful (on my parents dime) and now make a lot. I save a lot as well.

Life now mostly consists of work, some volunteer activity, coupon shopping (it's really time consuming!!!), and sleep. Lots of sleep. I don't have time nor the will to party til last call.

In short, I feel like I'm wasting my 20s by acting like a 30 year old. Everyone in my generation is lost and confused. I feel like a lost little fish.

suggestions?
I think you are doing everything right. The only suggestion I would make is to find someone you like to travel with and travel once a year or so.

Paris, Mexico, Austin TX, Ireland.....

Old 04-07-2016, 08:57 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:

suggestions?
I think you just need a new circle of friends, and to lose social media and internet forums for a while. Everyone in your generation is not traveling the world or making $30k a year.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:24 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Do you want to struggle? That's what it sounds like to me. Please, take some of mine - when I was your age, I was battling stage IV cancer while working full time in a lowish paying job because I graduated in the depths of the recession, even with a strong set of majors and internship experiences. And nothing was "on my parents' dime."

What's wrong with grad school? I'm 28, paying my way through grad school part time on top of working and volunteering.

P.S. Your post is quintessentially stereotypically millennial. "Woe is me, I'm going to create problems that don't exist in order to complain about them!" Not everyone in grad school, traveling, etc. is lost and confused. I'd argue that by posting this question here, you're much more lost and confused than someone working toward goals - even if those goals might not be ones you share (like seeing the world while you're young).

Old 04-07-2016, 10:14 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
The bottom line is the current student loan crisis (which those that deny have their heads stuffed in the sand and probably are rewarding from it) has it's blame in not the students taking the loans out but the government that is lending the loans out.

This crisis will no doubt affect EVERYONE not just those taking the loans out as taxpayers ultimately are absorbing the economic impact of thousands of students unable to pay the loans.

To design a system that allows for students to pay WAY OVER MARKET PRICE TUITION COSTS is setting them up (and everyone else) up for failure. Govt. Gauranteed loans eliminated risk to lenders, which in turn increases demand for college seats (among the great advertising), which has increased the costs.

The only ones winning right now are the colleges as they're getting filthy rich off of money that students don't have to provide them a piece of paper that costs at times 3 to 4 times what the MARKET is paying . I guess the Govt. is also benefiting as thousands of those in the younger generations are directly now indebted to them.

And as the Bible says, "the rich rule over the poor and the borrower is slave to the lender" (para)

The Millennials and the X and Ys are currently the support system for the Baby Boomers who are the beneficiary of the current system that they've benefited from at the younger generations expense.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:28 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:

suggestions?
I have NEVER had the will to party til last call; not in my teens, not in my twenties, not in my thirties, and not in my forties. (I'll be starting my fifties soon, and I don't expect a change to take place in that decade either.) I used to think that there was something wrong with me, that the partying lifestyle that so many people seem to enjoy seemed so completely unappealing to me. But it slowly but surely dawned on me that I am capable of deriving enjoyment and satisfaction from the activities that interest ME, regardless of whether others share my interests or I share the interests of others.

You are not just a representative of your generation. You are you, and you need to find the things that bring you joy and fulfillment, instead of worrying about what other people do for fun.

Oh, and be grateful that you're not being crushed by student-loan debt. Money isn't everything, but having enough of it to meet your needs and live well is far better than not having enough of it.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:23 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Same thread as last time?

Feeling too old for my age

Don't really know what you're looking for...

If anything it sounds like you're depressed, or just have a "job" and nothing to look forward to.

Life and what you do in it should be fulfilling no matter your age. This has nothing to do with being a millennial and everything to do with a supposed lack of happiness.
I thought this sounded familiar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology