Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:35 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times

Advertisements

5 is when I started chasing the girls around the schoolyard. Hell yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:49 PM

477 posts, read 314,693 times
I don't believe 'orientation' exists in a strict sense of the word. I think we are all on a spectrum of one degree or another but that it is for the most part fluid depending on one's circumstance or experience. Sexuality is fluid, not I'm 'this' or 'that'.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningPoeFrost View Post
I don't believe 'orientation' exists in a strict sense of the word. I think we are all on a spectrum of one degree or another but that it is for the most part fluid depending on one's circumstance or experience. Sexuality is fluid, not I'm 'this' or 'that'.
I've heard this, but I've never had the slightest inclination toward women, or even a casual hypothetical curiosity. I'm not grossed out by the thought or anything. It's more like: it's literally just something I'd never think of, unless someone brought the subject up, like now.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 PM

147 posts, read 93,400 times
I think whether straight or gay, we all know pretty much from the time we start school. Just about every person I talked to knew they liked the opposite sex(or same sex) at around 5-6. My cousin, who is gay, said she knew right when she started school she had feelings for girls and knew for sure a couple of years later she felt nothing for the opposite sex.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:02 AM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
I was 6, I knew because I had a crush on Zach Morris in Saved By The Bell.

I also developed a crush on Dylan on 90210.

By grade 1, I had developed a crush on an 8th-grader named Brandon.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Sexuality is fluid, not I'm 'this' or 'that'.

Except for those people for whom it isn't.

I'm extremely pro-LBGT and I believe that without repression there would be a lot more people experimenting with their sexuality than there are currently, but even in your spectrum scenario, there will be people who fall at the extremes and have never experienced sexual attraction to the same sex.

Ijs.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:30 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
Two girls tried it on with me in my early twenties I really hated it.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:03 AM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanMTL88 View Post
I think whether straight or gay, we all know pretty much from the time we start school. Just about every person I talked to knew they liked the opposite sex(or same sex) at around 5-6. My cousin, who is gay, said she knew right when she started school she had feelings for girls and knew for sure a couple of years later she felt nothing for the opposite sex.
I agree, I knew when I was 5 years old that I liked other boys instead of girls. There was nothing sexual about it at that age, but I remember having a crush on a boy named Andrew in either kindergarten or first grade, and then we moved and I never saw him again. I hope he's doing ok after all these years.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:25 AM

477 posts, read 314,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Except for those people for whom it isn't.

I'm extremely pro-LBGT and I believe that without repression there would be a lot more people experimenting with their sexuality than there are currently, but even in your spectrum scenario, there will be people who fall at the extremes and have never experienced sexual attraction to the same sex.

Ijs.
Sure, there will always be people who fall into either extreme of any spectrum, those for whom only the extremes apply. But I must ask you, do you really know this about yourself so concretely having been brought up in all culture that typically classifies people in strict categories (and historically shamed same-sex relationships)? For example, in ancient western societies such as Greeks, Spartans, and later the Romans same-sex relationships for both men and women were very common. But, that was the society they grew up in. Now this is a hypothetical question, but what if you were living back then where literally everybody was doing it? Are you so certain that you would be strictly 'this' or 'that'?

Old 04-09-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Sure, there will always be people who fall into either extreme of any spectrum, those for whom only the extremes apply. But I must ask you, do you really know this about yourself so concretely having been brought up in all culture that typically classifies people in strict categories (and historically shamed same-sex relationships)? For example, in ancient western societies such as Greeks, Spartans, and later the Romans same-sex relationships for both men and women were very common. But, that was the society they grew up in. Now this is a hypothetical question, but what if you were living back then where literally everybody was doing it? Are you so certain that you would be strictly 'this' or 'that'?

For a woman, the best way to convey the answer is the effect that seeing a very attractive person has on you from a desire perspective. Truthfully, when I see a very beautiful woman what I experience could be more accurately described as envy, or awe. If I'm honest with myself, I feel, deep down in my reptilian little hindbrain, inadequate, inferior, threatened, and competitive, before rationalizing these feelings away as what they are - primitive and base, an evolutionary throwback. There is a far greater sense of shame in that admission than in simply feeling desirous of the woman sexually. I would much rather have sexual desire be the instinctual reaction than that!
By contrast, seeing a very sexually attractive man does not evoke the same feelings. I merely feel a fleeting sense of lust when I see a very hot man. The rationalization is in all of the pragmatic reasons not to invite him back to my place to have sex; quite a stark contrast, if you ask me.

For men, the discovery of their sexual orientation is far less about psychological scrutiny. If something doesn't pass the boner test, they don't want it. Women do not have the advantage of a rather obvious outward sign of attraction (or lack thereof). As such, men are less prone to second-guessing their sexuality than women are.

You also seem fairly oblivious to the fact that bisexuality is encouraged in young women. There is no stigma attached to being a young woman who experiences same-sex attraction. Several of the attractive women I know proudly proclaim their bisexuality, and if anything, it is this phenomenon I doubt the sincerity of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology