Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:47 PM

83 posts, read 77,878 times

Advertisements

About 11 (I was a late bloomer) and when I heard her soprano voice in girls chorus I got an immediate crush.
Then I realized it was 'wrong', so I buried it.
But not forever.

Ah, youth.. how wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:20 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I had a crush on a boy in kindergarten. I am not sure if that is what you mean. I also know that I barged in on my dad in the bathroom and discovered there was a difference in our anatomies, when I was much younger. Is that what you mean? I really can't remember a time when I did not think of myself as female.
Sexual orientation and gender identity are not the same thing. Being aware of your femaleness/maleness is not the same are realizing you are hetero/homo/bi/etc.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:15 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
I had a crush on a boy in kindergarten.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:58 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
I've developed "crushes" on boys and girls and men and women throughout my life. In middle school, I thought I might be lesbian, because I thought one of the girls was really, um, womanly. I then started noticing more women's physique. It wore off, though, and then I started getting nervous around good-looking guys. Then, I started admiring gay guys not knowing they weren't into women. Then, I started ignoring everyone, but I'm still attracted to men, even though I hate the idea of anything sexual.

Last edited by krmb; 04-11-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-12-2016, 09:10 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,379 times
At age 5, I knew I like girls. So, yeah, 5 is when I knew I was straight.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What's a "gay high school?"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Milk_High_School

Old 04-14-2016, 09:34 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
First of all, it's very normal for boys and girls to not like each other until late middle school. And it's very normal for girls to dislike wearing dresses. Neither is an indicator of being gay.

Some people who are gay know by the time they are in preschool. Some still don't know by middle age, or even later.
It wasn't I that suggested she was bi. It was her. It was a brave statement to make, or at least would have been in my time. Like many of my friends here, it's a first generation family. I'm not sure the parents would take kindly to such a remark, and may do something dumb like send her to a school to fix her. If she truly is, then she'll need to be a bit pragmatic, but kids tend to follow all kinds of fads, so I wasn't sure whether this was just a fad or if she truly meant it. Thus the question to see when people felt they knew with capacity.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:37 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Thank you all for the responses. A lot of nice perspectives I've enjoyed reading. I think I knew fairly early on I was straight...but if I'd been something else I'm not sure when I would have known, or have the courage to go against the grain.

Hopefully any qualms about this will be completely gone in a generation.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:38 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,076 times
I was love sick for a blonde girl named Selby. I was in grade three and I used to lay in bed at night thinking of her....so weird that the love bug can strike so early. I really think that adults should back off when it comes to young love...it really is not ay of their business..also as far as so called orientation - adults have no right to suggest to a child that they are gay or straight.....what does a child really know..Today we do not let nature take its course - there are the progressives that interfere with youth.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:38 AM

477 posts, read 314,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
BrowningPoeFrost:

What you're asking here is completely irrelevant to my statement. Initially, you weren't asking what you would do, you were asking what you are, which is a completely separate matter, obviously. Or do you think that people in modern times don't do plenty of things that they don't genuinely want to?

Innate sexuality can be immutable, whether people are doing something or not. You're asking me how I know I don't actually desire to have sex with women. Simple: I don't. The same way I don't desire to eat tomatoes. Take it or leave it bud, but there's my answer.
Great! I'll take your answer as it applies to you. And, I will stand by my argument about sexuality as it applies to people as a whole (especially when it is highly influenced by their culture). What you prefer personally is not relevant at all, but if you disagree then that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology