Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 05:06 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times

Advertisements

I have this weird fascination for stories about practical jokes, embarrassment, humiliation, or other social faux pas horror stories turned funny. I've had it since I was a child, and I was wondering if anyone would indulge me with some April Fool's prank stories, practical jokes gone right or wrong, unplanned embarrassing moments, or anything along those lines.

I'll share mine. My friend's boyfriend knew I knew very little about cars, so he told me to go to the automotive department to ask for "blinker fluid." One reason I felt like such an idiot was because earlier we had discussed there was no such thing as blinker fluid. He seemed insistent, though, so silly me I did as I was told. The results were somewhat predictable. The attendant calmly told me there was no such thing, and my friend's boyfriend surprised me from behind, gave me hug, and explained matter-of-factly, "there's no such thing as blinker fluid." How very drole indeed. Personally, I wasn't amused. I saw no purpose for this particular prank. It just made me feel stupid.

Another few times a coworker noticed I was leaving my purse at lunch. She started hiding it from me and asking me about it. Most of the time, I would return to find it where I left it during lunch. One time, though, she hid it with the secretary, and I didn't start asking about it until it was time to get off of work. Humiliating. I had to ask my boss to open the door to the office so that I could get my purse. It was so humiliating that I stopped carrying a purse after that. My coworker thought it was hilarious, but I was worried my boss might fire me for being so careless.

Last edited by krmb; 04-11-2016 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:22 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Another question, if practical jokes can lead to real life damage, why do people persist in playing them on one another and calling them "harmless" fun?

Old 04-11-2016, 05:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
My sister and I had an ongoing joke with each other as kids. Like all siblings, we'd fight over who got to sit shotgun in the car. Which ever one of us got to the door first would usually do this: we'd set the backseat door to child lock!

And if you are unfamiliar with this function, the door can only be opened from the outside. So that way when we got to the destination, the other person couldn't get out of the car.

Obviously it wasn't to serious, and mom would just roll her eyes at us! (Mom was the DD for us most of the time. We never seemed to do it in dad's car.)

Old 04-11-2016, 05:54 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
This wasn't humiliating and wasn't meant to be, but I'd classify it a practical joke: I had this horrible dollar store "old man" Halloween mask. I don't know why I had it around, but my son had been playing with it quite a bit, so it was lying around. I was on my bed reading a book and I felt my husband come up behind me, so I turned to kiss him AND SCREAMED. He had the mask on. Seriously when I turned and saw that mask I about peed my pants. It took me entirely by surprise. We still laugh about it, it was an aces reaction, apparently.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:52 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Another question, if practical jokes can lead to real life damage, why do people persist in playing them on one another and calling them "harmless" fun?
They are "harmless" to the person playing the trick.

If you knew there wasn't "blinker fluid" why did you ask for it? Also, why would you leave your purse? Seems like you walked into both situations.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:54 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
A guy spent half a day checking out my friend. He finally has enough courage to approached my female friend and ask for her number. She gave it to him.

I took a quick look to see if she put a fake number on that piece of paper or her real number. Turns out it's real. But I wanted to embarrassed her anyway and shouted, " Hey, that's her fake number, give me that paper and I'll write down her real phone number." She got really embarrassed and she tried to tell him that it's her real number.

Weeks went by and I saw her again. I smile and asked her, "Did he ever called?". She said "What do you think?". I laughed and thought it was funny. 20 years later, we still say "Hi" to each other, so I am assuming she forgave me.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:06 PM

710 posts, read 584,070 times
One time my step dad drove myself, my brother, my step sister, and her cousin out to a graveyard at night and they all ran out of the car and left me inside. It's funny looking back but it was terrorizing at the time as I was a young child.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:35 PM

589 posts, read 695,796 times
I once hit my friend and he pretended to be dead. He wouldn't move or anything, so I thought he was really gone. I got a shovel and dug a hole in the backyard. Once I dragged him into the hole, he jumped up and said, "Ha! I fooled you!" I grabbed the shovel and hit him in the back of the head and then buried him in the hole. Who's laughing now, Dave?

Side note: This story isn't entirely true. It may have been a rake. I don't remember.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:17 PM

15,848 posts, read 6,308,360 times
I had a boss that was a real dick to me and many of the other women at work. He was lazy and would just pawn off work on the people he thought he could intimidate. Is all he wanted to do was sit in his little ergonomic chair that had springs that would allow the chair to go down depending how much weight was put on it. He was a pretty big guy. One night I was one of the last ones to leave and I saw a roll of packing tape and an air horn in the area were the boss sat. Oh yes I did! I taped that air horn right under the seat of his chair. He gets there early in the morning and only 2 other people got to see it. I guess he sat on it and the noise shoots out so they were checking the back of the building to try and figure out where the noise was coming from. It wasn't until the 3rd time he sat on it that they figured out what was really going on. I was told it was really loud.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
I once hit my friend and he pretended to be dead. He wouldn't move or anything, so I thought he was really gone. I got a shovel and dug a hole in the backyard. Once I dragged him into the hole, he jumped up and said, "Ha! I fooled you!" I grabbed the shovel and hit him in the back of the head and then buried him in the hole. Who's laughing now, Dave?

Side note: This story isn't entirely true. It may have been a rake. I don't remember.
Oh my froggin' God, I am choking! Oh dear goodness! Wipin' eyes.

So funny. So horrifying and...funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology