Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:42 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

I agree. In fact, being CONSPICIOUSLY silent can actually be a way of garnering attention. But there's a difference, even in the workplace, between exchanging an expected morning greeting and sitting for hours gossiping with coworkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 09:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I agree. In fact, being CONSPICIOUSLY silent can actually be a way of garnering attention. But there's a difference, even in the workplace, between exchanging an expected morning greeting and sitting for hours gossiping with coworkers.
I think it might be a way of signaling arrogance or hostility. But it could just as easily be signaling insecurity. These are not messages you want to be sending.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think it might be a way of signaling arrogance or hostility. But it could just as easily be signaling insecurity. These are not messages you want to be sending.
Whether you want to signal those things or not, that's pretty much the way most others take it unless and until you have already established yourself as the group "EF Hutton."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MXqb1a3Apg

Old 04-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Well, in my workplace, not joining in the daily gossip marathon -- as well as the endless potlucks and parties every five minutes -- is viewed at hostile and arrogant, but... Too bad, so sad! I do say "good morning" and "good night" and exchange a few other pleasantries about the weather and current events. That's about all I have to say to these particular people. I'm much more talkative with people I actually like and can relate to.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:30 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:

Who says that the quiet person is sending that message? It is the person who is jumping to conclusions that interprets it that way.

I have always found it odd that people are free to make up ridiculous judgments and that is perfectly ok.

The quiet ones are the ones who have to change - not the people who jump to conclusions.

You are judging someone's personality based on the fact that they do not talk much. That's really shallow. But we have to jump through hoops to prove you wrong.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:31 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Who says that the quiet person is sending that message? It is the person who is jumping to conclusions that interprets it that way.

I have always found it odd that people are free to make up ridiculous judgments and that is perfectly ok.

The quiet ones are the ones who have to change - not the people who jump to conclusions.

You are judging someone's personality based on the fact that they do not talk much. That's really shallow. But we have to jump through hoops to prove you wrong.
If we were talking about people who happen to be sitting on the same bus, you're point would be valid.

If we're talking about people who have to cooperate to accomplish a continuous series of tasks, then it's necessary to establish effective means of communication and expectations of coordination.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:45 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
They say the quiet people tend to be good lovers in bed

Old 04-29-2016, 09:44 AM

370 posts, read 654,428 times
I live in Europe, and many countries here being introverted and quiet is common. But I noticed in America is the land of type A personalities and extroversion so being quiet is seen as a negative quality. Unless you have social anxiety and look visibly uncomfortable around people.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 AM

I have a theory (although others have debunked it) that only the extroverts came to the New World. After all, does that sound like something an introvert would do? Hence, we're genetically predisposed to be extroverted in America, and the introverts are automatically the minority.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:04 PM

370 posts, read 654,428 times
You guys may find this interesting though may not answer the OP's question:
Why European Children Are Less Noisy Than American Children | Intellectual Takeout
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology