Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 08:48 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,379,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I'm interested in knowing whether there's a correlation between introversion and minimalism. I've noticed that introverts like me live in their heads, so we tend to be less concerned with worldly stuff. In other words, we strive for a simpler life -- one with less clutter and fewer people. Here are a few examples of ways I'm aiming to do just that:

-Possibly not having kids (already created a thread on this)
- Living in an apartment rather than a house -- smaller means less space for junk
- Limiting interactions with people, which can be exhausting. My social circle includes only 3 close friends.
- Spending within or below my means
- Communing with nature
-Avoiding noise and commotion as much as possible
- Reading, writing, painting, and other solitary pursuits

This is what I think of as the "Zen" lifestyle.

Can any of you introverts identify with some or all of these?

Only the living within my means and avoiding noise and commotion. The minimalist life doesn't appeal to me one bit; I am in the world, enjoy much of it, and wonder what exactly is meant by 'worldly stuff.'

PS: Ahhh, nuts...didn't correctly read date of OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 10:43 AM

855 posts, read 621,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
PS: Ahhh, nuts...didn't correctly read date of OP.
No worries; CD encourages new posts on old threads.
The thread may be relatively old, but the relevance of
the topic continues.

-

Old 09-09-2019, 11:53 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,177,164 times
Quote:
I'm interested in knowing whether there's a correlation between introversion and minimalism. I've noticed that introverts like me live in their heads, so we tend to be less concerned with worldly stuff. In other words, we strive for a simpler life -- one with less clutter and fewer people. Here are a few examples of ways I'm aiming to do just that:

- Living in an apartment rather than a house -- smaller means less space for junk
- Limiting interactions with people, which can be exhausting. My social circle includes only 3 close friends.
- Communing with nature

I am probably beyond introverted but will take a shot at this.

--I've had kids (the worst thing an introvert or non-social person can do).
--I prefer living in apartments - very small, secluded location, little room of excess.
--Limiting interactions with people is a must, and yes, exhausting whenever I must spend too much time socializing. I have a quite sizable social circle but that came with the territory. As long as they understand that I will not hang around for too long, I'm good with everyone.

--Spending below my means is a must.
--Nature.... I love it but because of health issues I am forced into limited contact with the outdoors as well.
--Noise doesn't really bother me that much unless it's someone intentionally trying hard to disturb me. Commotion - as in loud, obnoxious folks, bad behavior - no.
--I enjoy solitary activities much more than social outings.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:37 PM

2,066 posts, read 896,440 times
I'm painfully ISTJ.

Quote:
I'm interested in knowing whether there's a correlation between introversion and minimalism. I've noticed that introverts like me live in their heads, so we tend to be less concerned with worldly stuff. In other words, we strive for a simpler life -- one with less clutter and fewer people.

I'm a data point that supports this correlation.

Quote:
Here are a few examples of ways I'm aiming to do just that:

- Possibly not having kids (already created a thread on this) well, I have four, up in Wyoming
- Living in an apartment rather than a house -- smaller means less space for junk just bought a 980 sq ft condo
- Limiting interactions with people, which can be exhausting. My social circle includes only 3 close friends. pretty much
- Spending within or below my means most of my disposable income goes to my kids
- Communing with nature taking ADogNamedSam to the dog park and on walks, all the time
- Avoiding noise and commotion as much as possible I hate crowds and noise
- Reading, writing, painting, and other solitary pursuits 1000 pc puzzles

Downsized to the minimum and still getting rid of stuff.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 754,076 times
I'm an introvert but I don't think I'm very minimalist. I have far too many books to be able to call myself that. But other than books, I don't really care about material possessions.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:22 PM

30,227 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:

- Communing with nature

I used to be an extrovert. I wanted to meet every single person in the world (that was my child hood dream when I was about 5 and someone asked me what I wanted to 'be' when I grew up). In the last decade, I've become introverted.

There's too much noise, too many people, too much going on, and I get way over stimulated and need to get away from all of that. It makes me incredibly uncomfortable. I'm not sure why the switch, although I have my beliefs that a lot of it had to do with me spending 6 years in Miami.

I'd rather live in an apartment than a house because I want to be able to get up and move whenever I want. That has nothing to do with being an introvert, it has everything to do with me growing up always moving around. I now cannot sit still for too long. I need to keep moving.

I do limit interactions with people. For me, the internet is a wonderful thing. It fits perfectly for the amount of "socializing" I think I need. Of course I interact with people every day, in "real life", but for a lot of my socializing, it's the internet. And I like it that way. I can start when I want, I can end when I want. I don't have to get up, get dressed, drive somewhere, (I enjoy driving, but unless I'm getting paid for it, dealing with the sheer stupidity on the road is exhausting), mingle, make stupid small talk that I'm no good at doing (I prefer actual conversations), have someone at some point tell me that I "must try this" or "must meet this person" or that person, that I "must go with them to do" whatever - and then drive home. I don't consider that enjoyable. It's exhausting.

I am always saving for something, (usually the next move), so I'm very adapt at spending below my means. Plus, I don't like the stress of owing money. It hangs over my head whether I'm actively thinking about it or not, and I don't feel "free".

I would so much rather be out in nature than in a city. When I was younger, I did like nature, my dad was very much into nature, but I wanted to see the world and meet everyone, so I wanted the city. I'm done. I don't actually want to be in the city anymore. I would rather be in nature - that is, until night time. The reason for that is because I have an over active imagination, I have read way too many horror books, (thanks, Stephen King) and watched way too many scary movies, watched way too many news broadcasts, and read way too many articles, and I love watching trials - but what some people do to end up in that courtroom is not what I want to be thinking about when I'm in the middle of nature, in the pitch black, no one around for miles. At night, I need the noise. It doesn't have to be a lot of noise, but enough to let me know that people are around.

Again, except for night time, when I need to hear a car here and there, hear a ship horn in the distance, something, I prefer to be around as little noise as possible. In the day time, I would love nothing more than total natural silence -where it's not actually silent because you can hear the wind, leaves rustle, animals scampering about - but it's not bass booming, people screaming and arguing, sirens, helicopters, slamming doors, stomping up and down stairs or in the apartment above, etc. Just. Shut. Up.

Uh....writing is my thing. Ahem. (This post is an illustration of that.) I love reading. I thank my mom to this day for making reading such a positive thing from the time I was a tiny child, because I have been on many adventures through books. I can get completely absorbed in the story, and when I come up for air, have to take a moment to connect with reality again. (That sounds bad but any avid reader would understand what I mean.)

I think all of these things would benefit anyone. I think a lot of people are far more over stimulated than they realize, and everyone needs a break from all the racket. I make sure that at least once a week, I'm in the most silent spot I can find, and I do nothing but read, write, or just look at nature. It gives me back energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology