Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 07:04 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
As a kid I grew up with Robin Williams, Mork and Mindy was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I loved the man he was brilliant & believe that the world is a much sadder place without him in it. Even more now that we know he himself was battling depression.

I saw him live & I have never laughed so hard in my life.
That is funny, because I absolutely hated Mork and Mindy. Thought it was the stupidest show ever on TV, and I couldn't stand the guy who played Mork. Just silly.

Then I saw Robin Williams do stand-up, and I laughed so hard. It completely changed my opinion of him. And then I saw him play Oliver Sacks in Awakenings and saw him in other movies. He really was a multi-faceted huge talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 10:33 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
Because its part of my childhood. I grew up watching their shows so I have lot of memories. Now when I see some tv shows or movies I watched as a child, i couldnt believe I liked that but nevertheless the characters are hard wired in my brain. Its end of an era. I cried when Frank from everybody loves raymond died. I still love watching that show. It was one of the few things that used to make me laugh when I was going through a tough time in my life.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:16 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Default End of an Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Its end of an era.
Yes, when the celebrities of your youth have become old and are now passing, it seems like a certain time-your time-is fading away.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:02 PM

62 posts, read 85,100 times
Most of us have probably never met the celebrities whose passings we grieve, yet they had been a significant part of our lives in some way or another. We know the work they produced, be it art, music, writing, acting, or whatever else, has come to an end forever. What we looked forward to seeing more of will not be coming again at all.

I thought about this quite a bit this past January following David Bowie’s passing. I had been a huge fan of his throughout high school and college in the 1990s. I continued buying each of the albums as they were released until his last one came out just before he passed away. The high level of grief I experience as a result of his passing kind of surprised me. Friends from my high school and college actually even contacted me to say they were sorry or that they thought of me when they had heard he died.

My own son had passed away last May, about seven months prior to David Bowie dying. My son was a baby, fifteen months old, when leukemia ended his life. His illness and having his life cut so short were undoubtedly the worst things I have ever experienced. Even after my most painful loss ever, I still felt great sadness following David Bowie’s passing. I thought of his family and what they must have been going through. I thought of what his final months with cancer must have been like. I admit, I also grieved the loss of future music, acting, interviews, or performances he might have been able to have if he’d lived. I also missed losing someone who seemed like a companion during times in my life back when I needed to be taken away from my own experiences for a while. I may not have ever called David Bowie up on the phone, but I was able to pull out his albums about any time I felt the need and I felt like he was talking to me and that he understood me and my experiences.

Last edited by tanner; 08-28-2016 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-28-2016, 07:56 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Besides the obvious, why would the average person be saddened when a celebrity dies at an old age? PIck someone like Andy Griffith or Doris Roberts. Many times, these are actors whom we haven't seen for decades, yet as soon as they pass away, we are saddened. It isn't like they are a part of our daily life. We don't know them at all. Is it just that their death is a reminder that many people we "grew up" with are dying so we are going soon? I don't think there a mechanism inside of us that feels bad if any anonymous person dies because I rarely am saddened when I pass a funeral home with people hanging around outside. I do feel bad for the survivors but not for the unknown deceased person. However, many are sad for the deceased actor.

Has anyone else ever even thought of this or am I thinking too much?
we not only feel like we know them, but many times they gave us joy or made us laugh and enriched our lives in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology