Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:52 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I wish some of you would stop explaining the obvious.
and what would that be??

ohhhh ruuuuuubi....... for gods sake turn-around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:47 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I wish some of you would stop explaining the obvious.
Apparently some people need to have "the obvious" explained to them.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 PM

657 posts, read 407,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There's a reason that words matter. They have meanings.
If words "have meanings", why do we need dictionaries to tell what they mean?
If you hear/see a word your unfamiliar with, how come you can't see the meaning it "has"?
Dictionaries are not law books, they don't decree the meaning of words. Dictionaries are reference books telling how people are using specific words.
Words are used by people, then they are recorded in books for others to use, hence the definitions.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
If you hear/see a word your unfamiliar with, how come you can't see the meaning it "has"?
Dictionaries are not law books, they don't decree the meaning of words. Dictionaries are reference books telling how people are using specific words.
Words are used by people, then they are recorded in books for others to use, hence the definitions.
Because we aren't born knowing their meanings.

Learning is a process, and this thread isn't about the amygdala so not sure why you are interested.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Because we aren't born knowing their meanings.

Learning is a process, and this thread isn't about the amygdala so not sure why you are interested.
Your right, we aren't born knowing words or the meanings we attach to words.
Amygdalae react to words,(thoughts) 'as if' they were perceptions. That's why I'm interested.
I like to remind people that by having been conditioned to believe (some) words 'are' perceptions, we lose sight of the fact that thoughts are 'only' thoughts; so why react emotionally to what you construct with words,(thoughts).

see #38 in my thread; "What's the outcome when we unknowingly assume a perception?"
The original structural design of amygdalae was to react to perceptions, (primarily for survival).
When 'mankind' evolved, we figured out how to utilize the function of amygdalae. By deceiving amygdalae to react to thoughts 'as if' they were perceptions, (very ingenious use of thought).

Last edited by sakoz-2; 05-09-2016 at 10:03 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 06:41 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
How do we know it's not the opposite? Being, or having emotions that go up & down is just a part of life.
Yes, the symptoms of the disorders are part of life; however, what makes them clinical disorders is that they negatively impact normal life. Just like drinking alcohol can be "just part of life" , it becomes a clinical disorder (alcoholism) when drinking disrupts life.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:55 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
A perfect example, then, of Humpty Dumpty's logic.

Quote:
'And only one for birthday presents, you know.' Said Humpty Dumpty. 'There's glory for you!'

'I don't know what you mean by "glory",' Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. 'Of course you don't — till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!"'

'But "glory" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument",' Alice objected.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Words have meaning because social groups agree to give meanings to specific patterns of grunts. Dictionaries are the result of that agreement. Without that agreement, we don't have language, we merely have meaningless grunts.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=Ralph_Kirk;

Words have meaning because social groups agree to give meanings to specific patterns of grunts. Dictionaries are the result of that agreement. Without that agreement, we don't have language, we merely have meaningless grunts.[/QUOTE

"Words have meanings"? Or do we "have meanings for words" by agreement?
It may be semantics but it's a important distinction.
Sugar pills "do not HAVE medicinal properties but we attribute they do by (mistakenly) "believing' they do and react to our beliefs/meanings we 'give'.
When we take our agreements seriously, we mistakenly believe "our meanings" are "in" the words instead of 'in' us. (Our agreements, as meanings are 'in' us as well.)
Foreign words show that meanings are "not IN the words but 'in' the users of words.
When driving across USA, we see signs that say you left a state and now entering another; do you see the dividing line? No, but we accept the 'agreement' of our imagined dividing line.
Donald Trump says he will build a wall; thereby making visible the agreement that there IS a line.( we only imagine there's one and agree on what we imagine.)

Are you using Humpty Dumpty logic; and not recognizing doing so?

Last edited by sakoz-2; 05-10-2016 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-10-2016, 09:38 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
I know many of my friends throw the term OCD around quiet often...as in oh you are so OCD because you...fill in the blank with some trivial act...but I have been around a person that truly has been diagnosed with OCD...it is all consuming...they experience intrusive thoughts and even performing the repetitive rituals don't give them more than a passing relief...only to have the anxiety begin all over again...so no not everyone has a mental illness...

Old 05-10-2016, 09:41 PM

Amygdalae are in charge of survival,(indisputably). In that respect, we are subservient to their 'directions'; but they often make 'mistakes'. It's up to us to,make corrections, that means we "can" regulate our amygdalae.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology