Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 04:21 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of this current storm over takara Allen the girl who was told by a guy on tinder to bleach her skin
Tinder date suggests mixed-race woman should bleach her skin to make herself 'pretty' | Daily Mail Online,

But everyone is saying she is not even black and looks very white (probably filters) and already wears blue contacts and so on,she seems a bit ridiculous with her I'm black,I'm black etc.
https://www.instagram.com/takarawinel/

Even though she is probably 30 percent black.

I have the same issue I'm heavily into African history,black issues and am 32 percent African,but I look fairly white,
Saying I understand what it means to be black seems kind of ridiculous but yet I am of African descent and obviously care about it.

most black girls just laugh their head off at me about being black and even all my mixed race pins on Pinterest they think I'm some kind of white/eurasian/Latin girl that's into mixed race girls.

It's all very confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 04:37 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
She's a beautiful girl just the way she is. This is a non-issue. Why should she change?
Ridiculous. If I were her, I would ignore anyone who made such an unintelligent remark.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:22 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
There comes a time when you just have to say fuq it and not concern yourself with the opinions of others. (& learn to both recognize + disassociate from media propaganda) Do you, regardless, whatever that is, in whichever way you see fit, just do it.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:04 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times
Just continue living your life, and tell these broads who laugh at you to kiss your big, juicy hindquarters.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:43 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
You should identify with what you identify with...if you are a part of that culture. It's not like she's Rachel Dolezal.

I'm half white /half Mexican, and while it's not exactly the same, I identify as white because of my white last name and because my Mexican side was already becoming diluted on mom's side. The irony or strange thing is that I look Middle Eastern. Go figure.

As ive gotten older I have a greater respect for my Mexican and Native American ancestory and really I don't think there'd be anything wrong with me or anyone else trying to honor that or to uphold certain traditions.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:53 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Why are people so concerned about how one does or does not chose to racially identify?

How is it affecting YOUR life personally?

Why are people ONLY concerned about the way people with BLACK ancestry self identify?

When will the obsession with black women/black men/ "blackness" end?

Old 05-13-2016, 06:27 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I'm thinking of this current storm over takara Allen the girl who was told by a guy on tinder to bleach her skin
Tinder date suggests mixed-race woman should bleach her skin to make herself 'pretty' | Daily Mail Online,

But everyone is saying she is not even black and looks very white (probably filters) and already wears blue contacts and so on,she seems a bit ridiculous with her I'm black,I'm black etc.
https://www.instagram.com/takarawinel/

Even though she is probably 30 percent black.

I have the same issue I'm heavily into African history,black issues and am 32 percent African,but I look fairly white,
Saying I understand what it means to be black seems kind of ridiculous but yet I am of African descent and obviously care about it.

most black girls just laugh their head off at me about being black and even all my mixed race pins on Pinterest they think I'm some kind of white/eurasian/Latin girl that's into mixed race girls.

It's all very confusing.
If you are mixed race, you can identify as mixed race. If you can "pass" as a certain race and you want to do so, go ahead and pass. It's your life.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:14 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
People should identify with what they want to.

I'm not too concerned about it. I have never faced any issue regarding my race in my own personal experienced. I'm asked if I am mixed race quite often and there are some stupid stereotypes attached to my skin tone but I usually don't pay it any attention.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
There is no "should." Identify how you choose to identify. It's your life.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:51 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post

It's all very confusing.
Yes, reconciling how we perceive ourselves to how the world perceives us can be a confusing process.

I would have initially guessed the girl was Latina. I do find it a MAJOR turnoff when black women feel the need to abandon their natural beauty in an effort to conform to someone else's idea of how they "should" look. I interpret that as weakness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology