Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times

Advertisements

I have heard of moms using their kids' Ritalin to get more energy. I don't know if this is a true thing or not. Nor do I know if it really works if you aren't ADD.

I admit, I have longed to try it, especially for the appetite suppression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 07:27 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,089,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
I don't care if it's dangerous or not, so please don't waste your time lecturing me on it as I will just ignore those posts. If it can improve work speed, how much would it likely do so? Work is my passion, and I will take anything that would increase my speed.
Well a lot of them are time release, so you have to crush them up and snort them or parachute them, but yeah it will work.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
You know what makes me work faster? Having to pee. MAN I can fly through some data entry.
"just one more....just one more"

Old 05-14-2016, 09:58 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have heard of moms using their kids' Ritalin to get more energy. I don't know if this is a true thing or not. Nor do I know if it really works if you aren't ADD.

I admit, I have longed to try it, especially for the appetite suppression.
Not sure about that one, but I do know that they used Ritalin to treat narcolepsy (sleeping sickness) in the 80s. My stepfather had a prescription for it, and it did seem to work.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:40 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
I was able to take an adderall once and it really did make a difference... It was like I was running on all cylinders mentally and I could think quickly and focus and organize really well. It did make paying attention and learning better. It was weird, unlike of being high where you feel inebriated, where you feel it was like I was more normal and logical than I am sober many times.

10mgs seemed to be just right, and there's no way I'd crush them up and snort them or anything. They work fine and dandy at that dose, ingested orally.

That being said, I see it as kind of afterburner, it's good for the times when you really need to mentally perform, but if you leave it on without taking breaks, your going to run out of fuel and fry out faster. I definitely wouldn't take them day in day out.

I find, and I think scientific evidence backs me (I can look if you want) that amphetamines really do improve mental performance and memory and learning while caffeine does not. A well rested non addicted person will not see significant improvement in the aforementioned areas with caffeine. Where caffeine helps is for killing off drowsiness which impedes mental performance and for performing routine, not very mentally intensive tasks. I know caffeine made me do significantly worse when I took a decent amount before a college test without being drowsy or having a tolerance.

Finally, there's a difference between methamphetamine and ampetamines; the meth part really makes a difference. It penetrates fat in your brain, making it more euphoric and potent, but neurotoxic.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Not sure about that one, but I do know that they used Ritalin to treat narcolepsy (sleeping sickness) in the 80s. My stepfather had a prescription for it, and it did seem to work.
Sleeping sickness is actually a totally different thing than narcolepsy. It's a parasitic disease from African Tsetse flies. Narcolepsy is a neurological/brain disorder where a person's sleep-wake cycles do not operate as they should. One of its causes is a neurotransmitter deficit (hypocretin though, not norepinephrine and dopamine like in ADHD).

Old 05-15-2016, 12:04 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,058 times
Quote:
Could Ritalin or Adderall make you work quicker?
Yes. Those medications are fantastic. They're basically legal prescription amphetamines. They're effective stimulants on ANYONE, not just those who supposedly have attention span problems. For hyperactive people with attention span problems, those medications slow them down & help them focus. For normal people, they increase mental efficiency & help you focus

I was prescribed Vyvanse (same thing as Ritalin & Adderall) for a couple years until I built up a tolerance to it. Those were the best two years of my life. I lost 20 lbs. I became a super-athlete. I could think clearly. I made honor roll in college for the first time. And a hundred other amazing things happened in those two years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Addendum: The unfortunate downside is that what goes up must eventually come down. Nothing that good can last forever.

If you happen to have chronic depression, withdrawal from an amphetamine will be agony. The depression is severe and risk of suicide skyrockets.

Appetite increases. Those 20lbs I lost? I found them again.

Need for sleep increases. I could sleep for 3 days when going through withdrawals.

Last edited by Zelpha; 05-15-2016 at 12:34 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 01:10 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Some pro poker players have been known to take Adderall for performance.

Prozac makes me a good baseball fielder.

I just go au natural, and deal with the ups and downs in my productivity as they come.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:35 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
I don't care if it's dangerous or not, so please don't waste your time lecturing me on it as I will just ignore those posts. If it can improve work speed, how much would it likely do so? Work is my passion, and I will take anything that would increase my speed.

Maybe you need a job better suited to your skill-level and abilities. That might be a better long-term solution. Did you intend to remain on drugs for the entirety of your career?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:39 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,370 times
Phentermine will make you zoom around like a hummingbird. Of course, there's the risk of heart problems with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology