Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 09:36 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times

Advertisements

Soooo....first let me say my spouse is very loving and attentive; and has never done anything to invoke fear in me. Maybe I just have watched too many TV shows like 48 Hours or Dateline. But, here goes: we do an awful lot of urban walking and also hiking.

Every once in a while when we are on a street sidewalk and cars are traveling besides us at high speeds, if there is a reason for us to walk single (he is usually on my left walking streetside), I like him to go in front of me. I just get a fleeting thought that I could be pushed into traffic. I get the same fleeting thought if we are hiking on a ridge and the fall would be deadly into a canyon. And he loves "selfies" with expansive views behind us. I never want to walk to the edges as closely as he wants for the same reason.

Normal? Again, this is very infrequent and my spouse has absolutely never done anything threatening to me or anyone else. He is always sweet and kind to me in our daily life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 09:41 AM

657 posts, read 407,670 times
Sure, but don't take them seriously , recognize them for what they are, but take precautions wherever you are. Beware of your surroundings.
Your amygdalae are on "duty" all the time automatically. They see danger before we consciously see any danger and they react. Trust them.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:50 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I think it is normal. I don't know if your husband plans to kill you or not, I assume those spouses whose partners offed them by pushing them off a cliff, or off a cruise ship, or in front of a bus never saw it coming. I expect that the victims might have missed some signs though.

I think in our everyday lives we are exposed to so many alarming things that we can't help but internalize them and be affected by them. I found that during the height of the Iraq war, when two of my sons were in the military, I felt very uncomfortable driving down the street past parked cars. It made me imagine how frightening it must be for the soldiers, never knowing when something near them would blow up unexpectedly. Sort of like you feel, I think?

I think we all have fears, and a person has the ability to control them by limiting exposure to things which upset them. Right now, I am not listening to any news about the bathroom controversy, or most of the political stuff, because I have no way of affecting the outcome, so I see no reason to invest any emotion in it.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:33 AM

458 posts, read 329,174 times
Have you been watching too much Lifetime? Hehee! Nah, girl...trust your instincts. Don't go near that canyon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology